Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ironic; Folks Who Hate Police Most Need Them Most; Those Respecting Most/Least

See but that example is not in reality a possibility for even us, so do I protest or break things?
    Last edited by catmanjack; 06-05-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Re: Ironic; Folks Who Hate Police Most Need Them Most; Those Respecting Most/Least

That situation you describe is exempt from most of us who can’t write a $100K donation to that exclusive club...you are describing “rich” privilege
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I think we are just talking about two different things. You and I have the opportunity to apply for membership in the most exclusive clubs in the country..but as for me at least that opportunity would be only a formality and not reflective of reality.

Not the best example I admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    That situation you describe is exempt from most of us who can’t write a $100K donation to that exclusive club...you are describing “rich” privilege
    But those are opportunities. And they have nothing to do with the discussion of racial profiling or discrimination of and by any race, gender, religion, etc. If I was making any point other than that it would be that there is racial bias, class bias, as well as many other forms that those in the majority can squelch.

What opportunity did the man have which would have enabled him to avoid dying under the foot of authority?
    Last edited by kingcat; 06-05-2020 at 02:52 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Being that I wasn’t there to hear what was said or see the warrant or hear the discussions prior, I can’t answer that, nor can anyone that posts here. I can’t just chalk it up to a racist cop. It may have been that, but a power hungry, put you in your place, bad cop was definitely on display in the video.
    But those are opportunities. And they have nothing to do with the discussion of racial profiling or discrimination of and by any race, gender, religion, etc. If I was making any point other than that it would be that there is racial bias, class bias, as well as many other forms that those in the majority can squelch.

What opportunity did the man have which would have enabled him to avoid dying under the foot of authority?

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    Being that I wasn’t there to hear what was said or see the warrant or hear the discussions prior, I can’t answer that, nor can anyone that posts here. I can’t just chalk it up to a racist cop. It may have been that, but a power hungry, put you in your place, bad cop was definitely on display in the video.
    That's a possibility. But it's more likely race had something to do with the brazenness of the act with witnesses on the scene however.

But he did have a rep'..

"Chauvin joined the Minneapolis Police Academy in 2001 and has been the subject of at least 12 complaints, which involve use-of-force incidents as well as a lawsuit over the alleged violation of a prisoner’s constitutional rights"

..NBC
    Last edited by kingcat; 06-05-2020 at 05:17 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    See but that example is not in reality a possibility for even us, so do I protest or break things?
    It's like the protests a couple of years ago when the a man was arrested and charged with murder after a car rammed into a group of people peacefully protesting against a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, killing one person and injuring 19.
    I actually was scolded here for saying that white supremacists shouldn't be allowed to rally and protest, and was implored by a few different people not to lump all the group in with the few bad apples.

I believe even the president claimed there were some good people exercising their rights on both sides.
    Last edited by kingcat; 06-05-2020 at 05:29 PM.

You are making assumptions that the facts don’t support..not yet anyway. I read the CNN report on him and they note 18 times he has complaints filed against him, 2 of which resulted in disciplinary action. I’m sure the complaints will all become public during discovery and if he displayed a racist influence per the compaints, Minneapolis PD will be named in a civil lawsuit for not terminating him....I’m certain.

That's a possibility. But it's more likely race had something to do with the brazenness of the act with witnesses on the scene however.

But he did have a rep'..

"Chauvin joined the Minneapolis Police Academy in 2001 and has been the subject of at least 12 complaints, which involve use-of-force incidents as well as a lawsuit over the alleged violation of a prisoner’s constitutional rights"

..NBC
    Last edited by Catonahottinroof; 06-05-2020 at 06:29 PM.

No assumption made whatsoever in that post Cat.

Only the assumption that as his superior stated, that is an unusually high number of complaints very likely supporting one or the other vicious scenarios each of us put forward.

To be clear, this instance of police brutality, (and possible racial motivation) is not the end all in supporting current racist issues being discussed across the country by every one. (addressed below)
    Most notably they were discussed today by our UK football program participating in the Black Lives Matter protest.

As well as Coach Cal's part in the NABC webinar today where he stated he has asked NBA security officials to speak to his players about ways to react when they're stopped by the police.

So I am not anyone who needs to be convinced, nor someone who seeks to convince anyone.
    Like them (and I do believe they are being genuine, I see the concerns as being very real and obvious. And those I mention, the UK coaches that is, are as much or more qualified than anyone here to speak to the seriousness of the matter.

** As a matter of fact the Arbery's case was buried by local police and justice officials. Bryan's video of the shooting leaked to the media on May 5.
    Only after the case sparked nationwide anger, was it passed on to state investigators.

That, or the young lady murdered in her home in Louisville may be a better example for doubters.
    Last edited by kingcat; 06-05-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Just so everyone knows. This isnt a political issue for me at all as some here already know. It is an issue that hits home with me in a rather heartfelt way. And I have made it known here periodically on the message boards since the first time I posted at Wildcatchat.

I've experienced blatant racism myself up close and personal here in Kentucky. One instance was when performing at the annual State KBA party in the Nineties, helping to hide a Black bass player (for the headlining band) who when he took the stage the color of his skin then caused a riot to stir with at least a hundred individuals determined to make an "example" of him. This was an event of five thousand plus. They were a successful group and he was a courteous well spoken young man. We musicians managed to hide (lie) and protect this talented young man enough so that he could escape.
    The fear he displayed was life changing for all of us.

And there are even more personal instances that left me angered at not only the inherent racism others displayed, but my own inability to speak up like a man should and address it. Instead I lost a very good musician friend who was also a dedicated Christian.

Add that to knowing racism is as common in rural Kentucky as it is everywhere else. "They" and "Them" and "We" and "Us" are still required words when a Black person is discussed.
    I have witnessed it first hand and I can assure everyone..it most certainly does. I have a large family and I have a handful of cousins that would embarrass everyone here if they chimed in.

Anyway, I didnt want anyone to think my views are politically motivated and I actually have no clue what I'm talking about. My father because of his love of God overcame his ingrained prejudices over time, and the stories he could tell would send chills down your spine. I recall the other side of the tracks in Vine Grove when I was a young person. Vine Grove then was a small downtown area in a small valley and as you start up the hill there are railroad tracks. Blacks would gather on the upper side of the tracks at night and Whites would have downtown. I was told of unreported hangings and beatings that took place back in the fifties when a person of color was caught out of "their place". Even through the sixties Blacks did not cross the tracks to downtown but instead stayed in what I grew up calling N-Town which I thought was its actual town name as a young person. I still get a little sick thinking of it.

What I'm saying is, if I can tell such stories that should chill any Christian man to the bone, and have experienced such racist things as a 64 year old White dude, how can I not be sensitive to the effect the past still has on a group of people lived through that, and pretend that it doesn't exist now. And yes, Ive heard all the race jokes throughout my life and usually kept quiet to avoid arguments.

I cant say if any one of you here have witnessed it first hand or not, but I'd be very surprised if not. Perhaps they are stories that need to be told by all of us when discussing racial issues like this.

But mainly, I wanted to make clear where I am coming from.
    Last edited by kingcat; 06-05-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Understand completely!
    Just so everyone knows. This isnt a political issue for me at all as some here already know. It is an issue that hits home with me in a rather heartfelt way. And I have made it known here periodically on the message boards since the first time I posted at Wildcatchat.

I've experienced blatant racism myself up close and personal here in Kentucky. One instance was when performing at the annual State KBA party in the Nineties, helping to hide a Black bass player (for the headlining band) who when he took the stage the color of his skin then caused a riot to stir with at least a hundred individuals determined to make an "example" of him. This was an event of five thousand plus. They were a successful group and he was a courteous well spoken young man. We musicians managed to hide (lie) and protect this talented young man enough so that he could escape.
    The fear he displayed was life changing for all of us.

And there are even more personal instances that left me angered at not only the inherent racism others displayed, but my own inability to speak up like a man should and address it. Instead I lost a very good musician friend who was also a dedicated Christian.

Add that to knowing racism is as common in rural Kentucky as it is everywhere else. "They" and "Them" and "We" and "Us" are still required words when a Black person is discussed.
    I have witnessed it first hand and I can assure everyone..it most certainly does. I have a large family and I have a handful of cousins that would embarrass everyone here if they chimed in.

Anyway, I didnt want anyone to think my views are politically motivated and I actually have no clue what I'm talking about. My father because of his love of God overcame his ingrained prejudices over time, and the stories he could tell would send chills down your spine. I recall the other side of the tracks in Vine Grove when I was a young person. Vine Grove then was a small downtown area in a small valley and as you start up the hill there are railroad tracks. Blacks would gather on the upper side of the tracks at night and Whites would have downtown. I was told of unreported hangings and beatings that took place back in the fifties when a person of color was caught out of "their place". Even through the sixties Blacks did not cross the tracks to downtown but instead stayed in what I grew up calling N-Town which I thought was its actual town name as a young person. I still get a little sick thinking of it.

What I'm saying is, if I can tell such stories that should chill any Christian man to the bone, and have experienced such racist things as a 64 year old White dude, how can I not be sensitive to the effect the past still has on a group of people lived through that, and pretend that it doesn't exist now. And yes, Ive heard all the race jokes throughout my life and usually kept quiet to avoid arguments.

I cant say if any one of you here have witnessed it first hand or not, but I'd be very surprised if not. Perhaps they are stories that need to be told by all of us when discussing racial issues like this.

But mainly, I wanted to make clear where I am coming from.