Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Grocery Store Q&A, PSA’s etc.

Ok, we all eat and we all buy groceries (probably, except maybe CBB) so I was thinking we could pass along tidbits of information that might help each other through the struggles of providing sustenance.

I also wanted to know the difference between brands of sugar.

There are national brands like Domino’s which are usually on the top “end of the price scale. Then there are high end store brands like at Kroger’s, theirs is Private Selection, which is in the mid price range. Finally there are the plain store, or no brand names at the low end of the price scale.

My question is what’s the difference in sugar brands? Is Domino’s sweater than the Private Selection? Does the no brand stuff have some kind of filler making it less sweat?

Seriously, short of buying all three different kinds, and if I did what would I be evaluating?

On another note I’ve noticed toilet paper and other paper products are now regularly available...at least the shelves have been nicely stocked for the last couple of weeks I’ve been to the grocery store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Grocery Store Q&A, PSA’s etc.

My taste buds and past history of candy making has sold me that the brands of sugar has nothing to do with sweetness. It does have to do with the fineness of and consistency in the grain size. Just make sure you are comparing cane sugar to cane sugar and beet sugar is not involved. as there is definitely a difference there.

Beet sugar comes from Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and cane sugar from Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi

Greatest deal going for us, is ability to pre order the stuff you want including brand in many cases 12 hours ahead of time then arriving at the store at a predetermined time and having someone deliver you order to your car trunk.

My wife has the system down pat and has gamed it to some degree. She started out tipping the delivery service and once she did she and a young lady agreed on days and times when the girl would be working the take out service. She would look over our order ahead of time and many times the order sheet would say out of stock for an item and she would know it was in stock and she would fill that item for us.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 05-30-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Im not sure, but I did read this (below) which seems to say buy the cheapest that fits your needs.
    Sugar refineries here in the States should all be pretty much the same I would think. And I'm pretty certain most all of it is refined here.
    Brazil is a big refining sugar refining state too so that may be worth looking at.

I think the only variable would be the amount of healthy minerals in the .1 %.
    I assume the more you get rid of those the better it tastes.

"1. White granulated sugar is one of the world's purest foods. It's 99.9 per cent sucrose, refined from the natural sugars that occur in the sugar cane but with all 'impurities' such as mineral ash and polyphenols completely removed.

2. Caster sugar has the same composition as granulated sugar, but the crystals are smaller so it dissolves quickly. It's best for baking, especially light sponges and meringues.

3. Icing sugar is white sugar ground to a fine powder so it dissolves quickly and makes smooth icing"
    Last edited by kingcat; 05-30-2020 at 12:00 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

#3 is called powdered sugar at the grocery store and is basically, just as the name describes, a powder.
    seeya
    dan

I guess my next trip to the store I’ll spend some time reading sugar labels.

I get the difference between powdered sugar versus brown sugar, and granulated sugar... I was wondering how much different could the granulated sugar brands differ from each other to warrant a $1.00-$2.00 price difference.

It’s strawberry season here in S Indiana and there are no strawberries. I think the late season freeze must have taken the crop.

I think I missed the Chilton County AL berries...

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I guess my next trip to the store I’ll spend some time reading sugar labels.

I get the difference between powdered sugar versus brown sugar, and granulated sugar... I was wondering how much different could the granulated sugar brands differ from each other to warrant a $1.00-$2.00 price difference.

It’s strawberry season here in S Indiana and there are no strawberries. I think the late season freeze must have taken the crop.

I think I missed the Chilton County AL berries...

There isn’t enough difference to warrant price differentials. Typically sugar from cane is labeled granulated cane sugar and beet sugar is labeled as granulated sugar.

Hey, I've been to a grocery before. That's where they sell stuff that people eventually turn into food, right? Seems like an odd extra step to me, but to each his own.

A liquor store I get, b/c in this state bars do have to close, but you guys can keep the grocery thing. Personally I don't think it will catch on.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Heck, you can get your hair done, wire money, have your eyes checked, buy glasses and/or contacts, get your hunting and fishing license, buy a gun, purchase textiles, have your car fixed, buy tires, get gas, and purchase garden supplies or almost anything else at the grocery.

Or depending on ones perspective..you can buy groceries at the eye doctor, plumbing supply, hairdresser, etc..

Last edited by kingcat; 05-31-2020 at 01:47 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

My Dad was a meat cutter and meat department manager from way back when they'd ship in the half sides of beef. He'd wrestle it down from the meat cooler, haul it into the meat room and then break it down into individual cuts and place them in the meat section.

When meat would start to turn from red to brown due to oxidation, people were less likely to buy it because it looked "bad." He'd put it in the "dark meat" section and if it didn't sell after a day or so, he'd have to throw it out. And by "throw it out," I mean "bring it home." We ate pretty well on meat that had turned brown.

So my tip is always check out the discounted meat section--you can get some good deals there.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

^^^They call them “Wahoooo” specials at Kroger’s. When I see the butcher bringing them out I’ll occasionally buy them to throw on the grill same day.

They usually have “wahoo” specials scattered through out the store. I’ll pick some up out the bakery from time to time too.

Fab Five

I can’t help much. I bought a small bag of Dixie Crystals 5 years ago and it is still 90% full. Not sure why I bought it and have no idea if I’ll ever use it again. Strawberry season is long gone in Alabama and Clingstone peaches are just about gone. Freestone peaches are on the way. I’ve got a Clanton farmer with a produce stand two miles away. I’m going to have to visit this week.
    Real Fan since 1958

I went Krogering last night and was going to research the sugar... they were completely out except for brown sugar and fake sugar.

Did the media report that sugar cures COVID 19?

^We were out of granulated sugar and butter so I went to our neighborhood Kroger. They had 5 4 lb bags and 1 10 lb bag of granulated sugar. They actually had more toilet paper than sugar. And I went weeks trying to find all-purpose flour for Mrs. BEvans before I finally found some.

The only thing I can figure is Covid must create some urge to make baked goods.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

In times of crisis, or even perceived crisis, all good cooks march to the kitchen and start mixing and baking. When they are not doing that they are shopping for baking supplies and toilet paper.
    seeya
    dan

Kroger did have FL water melons, I think one of the best water melons I’ve ever had I got from a road side fruit market down by Navarro Beach, so I thought I’d give them a try. It was just ok,at least the one I selected. Three things in my mind make for a good melon.
    1) crisp
    2) juicy
    3) sweet

It wasn’t mushy and if anything it was maybe to firm not really crisp. It was juicy, but not really sweet.... so, I get it, they pick them premature so they can travel, but I thought I’d try. Looks like I’ll have to wait for the Jackson County melons to hit the market in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    ^We were out of granulated sugar and butter so I went to our neighborhood Kroger. They had 5 4 lb bags and 1 10 lb bag of granulated sugar. They actually had more toilet paper than sugar. And I went weeks trying to find all-purpose flour for Mrs. BEvans before I finally found some.

It took us two weeks to find self rising flour, when we finally found some we picked up two bags.

Shortages have nothing to do with more baking and everything to do with supply chain disruptions.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Kroger did have FL water melons, I think one of the best water melons I’ve ever had I got from a road side fruit market down by Navarro Beach, so I thought I’d give them a try. It was just ok,at least the one I selected. Three things in my mind make for a good melon.
    1) crisp
    2) juicy
    3) sweet

It wasn’t mushy and if anything it was maybe to firm not really crisp. It was juicy, but not really sweet.... so, I get it, they pick them premature so they can travel, but I thought I’d try. Looks like I’ll have to wait for the Jackson County melons to hit the market in a few weeks.

The best watermelons are seeded watermelons. The seedless variety tend not to be crisp or sweet, and not very juicy.