Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time for a new truck battery, they must not make them like they used to

My truck in a 1999 F150, I bought it with less than 30,000 miles on it back in 2004. At that time it had its original battery. In October 2012 the original battery gave up the ghost and I bought one of the gold label $129 Walmart batteries, EverstartMax or something like that. The truck was manufactured in early 1999, so 13 years seemed pretty goo battery life. The battery I bought in 2012 has now bit the dust, five months short of 8 years. They just don’t make batteries like they used to.

Rupp's Runt

Re: Time for a new truck battery, they must not make them like they used to

3-4 years in many newer cars. The batteries now do so much more.

Oh, and in our 2016, I can't change out the battery. I might could, but not worth it. It is under the firewall. To jump it, you hook up the positive, and I just grounded it to the frame. You cannot access the Negative terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I bought my tractor new in May 2005, the battery had to be replaced in November 2015.

Rupp's Runt

On battery #2 on the 2016 Edge, and I think battery #3 on the 2013 Sentra. The Edge battery died all at once on the way to Orlando. Stopped at a gas station. Left the door open while getting gas, and it would not start back. Thankfully someone was able to jump me and we went on our way. Didn't turn it off until we got there.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post

Oh, and in our 2016, I can't change out the battery. I might could, but not worth it. It is under the firewall. To jump it, you hook up the positive, and I just grounded it to the frame. You cannot access the Negative terminal.
    Stuns me how some cars/trucks bury the battery in places you can barely get to it, or not at all. Under a seat etc. is one thing, but locked in where you have to start taking other parts of the car apart is insane.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I had a Passat, I told the VW service guy I can’t get to the battery, he said “exactly”. I kind of got the impression they didn’t want you to get to it.

My mechanic friend coached me on how to access it pretty easily without moving too much around, but in order to pull it out and replace it you had to move a bunch of other stuff.

As far as battery life, it has been my experience with batteries is they last about a week longer then they were rated. Which begs the question, how does a battery know how old it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I think those WaMart batteries are 5 yr batteries. Napa still specs out a heavy battery. Up in Montana once they get weak they die the first -20 degree night

I am... err... frugal as most know. But the instant a battery starts getting weak, it gets replaced. There's nothing worse than being stranded and it's such cheap insurance for the car starting.

My mechanics call the Walmart batteries "Neverstart," but I suspect they're all pretty comparable, except maybe for some super top of the line kinda things that a Bigsky might buy because he gets -20° temperatures.

Anyway, I get mine from Advance Auto, generally the Autocraft brand with a three year warranty. That's about how long they last before I replace them. Maybe four years, but really I don't try to stretch it. I can always find a 25% coupon online so the price is very competitive, and if you break it down per year, cheap insurance.

Lots of "time for a new _____ , they don't make them like they used to" threads.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I am... err... frugal as most know. But the instant a battery starts getting weak, it gets replaced. There's nothing worse than being stranded and it's such cheap insurance for the car starting.

My mechanics call the Walmart batteries "Neverstart," but I suspect they're all pretty comparable, except maybe for some super top of the line kinda things that a Bigsky might buy because he gets -20° temperatures.

Anyway, I get mine from Advance Auto, generally the Autocraft brand with a three year warranty. That's about how long they last before I replace them. Maybe four years, but really I don't try to stretch it. I can always find a 25% coupon online so the price is very competitive, and if you break it down per year, cheap insurance.
    I’ve had really good luck with the Everstart Maxx, which is a higher end version than the regular Everstart. I don’t even know if they still sell them. This one started to hesitate on cold mornings a year ago.

I replaced it with a 60 month Rural King battery. The truck will see a lot less usage now that I’ve retired, and it didn’t make sense to put a 72 month battery into a truck that is already 21 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Lots of "time for a new _____ , they don't make them like they used to" threads.
    In my case I think the batteries last a lot better than they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I’ve had really good luck with the Everstart Maxx, which is a higher end version than the regular Everstart. I don’t even know if they still sell them. This one started to hesitate on cold mornings a year ago.

I replaced it with a 60 month Rural King battery. The truck will see a lot less usage now that I’ve retired, and it didn’t make sense to put a 72 month battery into a truck that is already 21 years old.
    That all makes sense to me, too.

I used to buy DieHard batteries from Sears and was always very happy with the starting power and battery life. I am not even sure I can buy one today

I can buy Craftsman tools many different places but I do not know where to buy a DieHard
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

First, we get, reliably, a couple of -40 to -30 degree nights every winter. I have an '98 Camry with remote start that is the outside, drive around town, you wanna drive like nobody knows your name car. White. generic. Like tofu or squid. "The Ghost". I put the best tires, newer wipers, and keep a no more than three year battery in it. Interstate from Costco is okay, but not like the old days. Like Darrell says, one weak moment and it's gone. Batteries at thirty below that lose a charge...freeze and that is a big mess along with a dead car. I think RV/boat deep cycle batteries have gotten better and better and better -- a spin off from solar technology. Not ready to buy lithium, hah hah. But still, better. Car batteries on the other hand, seem to be victims of the otherwise laudable recycling. Lead acid Batteries are fairly closed system, not that you want to be the person closing the loop, but they get hauled away and lead plates recycled. Nastiest job I ever did was cut a top plate off a battery recycling box car (that is the part that rides on the trucks (the two sets of wheels). Some body else welded a new one on. WTF were we thinking? Now that I have free associated an entire non sequitur post, I will quit here.

Lol. Enjoyed it, Bigsky.

-40°... Wow.

Daughter's Honda CRV is showing some sluggishness in starting. Bought her a battery 3 years ago. Dang near like clockwork for me, but before she leaves to go back to school or go out of town for a job, she'll have a new one. Just cheap insurance... Even for a cheapskate, and even without the harsh conditions a Bigsky may face.

-No Signature Harmed During the Posting of this Comment-

Note to self: do not shop for retirement homes in Montana and Wyoming. I'm thinking shorts and sandals in my old age.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post

Note to self: do not shop for retirement homes in Montana and Wyoming. I'm thinking shorts and sandals in my old age.
    I’ve been watching the Bloodline series on Netflix which is being filmed in the Keys. I think I saw you in a couple of the episodes....lots of extras in the bar scenes.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Bombino

Lol. Enjoyed it, Bigsky.

-40°... Wow.

Daughter's Honda CRV is showing some sluggishness in starting. Bought her a battery 3 years ago. Dang near like clockwork for me, but before she leaves to go back to school or go out of town for a job, she'll have a new one. Just cheap insurance... Even for a cheapskate, and even without the harsh conditions a Bigsky may face.

-No Signature Harmed During the Posting of this Comment-
    What year CR-V? Starter motors are a known issue on some generations of CR-V

Source: Owner of 2004 CR-V with 216,000 miles on it who had to replace the starter 80,000 miles ago.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

2007, 120,000 miles. Starter is fine, on it, though. As bad as I am with cars, I've owned a crapload of them from having so many kids lol. Have had my share of starters replaced.

Funny thing is, my wife tells me I'm paranoid and shouldn't replace the battery. It keeps starting. But I was there when she had trouble cranking it, and it's getting weaker. Since then, it has been started a bunch of times, but it doesn't have that crisp start you like to hear from a new battery.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I’ve been watching the Bloodline series on Netflix which is being filmed in the Keys. I think I saw you in a couple of the episodes....lots of extras in the bar scenes.

I'm not usually in the shots. They actually shoot those later in the day in the bar scenes and by that time i'm under the bar more than at it.

Yeah, I wish I was in a bar. Not sure what the hell I'm doing in Lexington working like a madman when I could be down there going broke and drunk.

Die Hard Battery is available at Advance Auto Parts these days if you are interested.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Die Hard Battery is available at Advance Auto Parts these days if you are interested.
    I got an email on that the other day and meant to mention it. That's where I get all of mine. You can always find a 20 or 25% off coupon online, too. I'll be getting a diehard in the next week or so for my daughter's car before she goes on a short trip.

Fab Five

The battery on my 2006 Acura lasted 4 years. I replaced it in late 2009 with an Interstate battery that lasted 7 years. I obviously replaced it with another Interstate battery. It lasted 2 1/2 years. I replaced it last summer. I tried the Interstate one more time. But two answer your question, I don't believe batteries are lasting very long these days.
    Real Fan since 1958

Interstate Batteries are my power of choice....they cost a bit more but worth the expense.

I've had Interstate batteries, Diehard, Autocraft, and Everstart. All of them last about the same in my cars except Everstart, which has a poor Cartwright track record.

Recently I've been on an Autocraft kick and I think I have five of those currently bought from Advance Auto, with one Interstate bought from AAA.

Advance Auto is very convenient to me, and those 25% coupons are awfully nice.

I've had Interstate batteries, Diehard, Autocraft, and Everstart. All of them last about the same in my cars except Everstart, which has a poor Cartwright track record.

Recently I've been on an Autocraft kick and I think I have five of those currently bought from Advance Auto, with one Interstate bought from AAA.

Advance Auto is very convenient to me, and those 25% coupons are awfully nice.
    I think I have an Autocraft in my tractor. The original battery lasted from May 2005 until December 2015, and then was replaced with a battery that had been used and returned to Advance. I think it was like $35, so I can’t complain about the service from the new to me battery.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I think I have an Autocraft in my tractor. The original battery lasted from May 2005 until December 2015, and then was replaced with a battery that had been used and returned to Advance. I think it was like $35, so I can’t complain about the service from the new to me battery.
    That's fantastic. I'm sold on their quality.

That's fantastic. I'm sold on their quality.
    I wish I had that kind of success with our Polaris Ranger batteries. It is an ‘09 model and it is on its fourth battery. One of them only made it a year, the current one is on year two. AGM batteries work a lot better with ATV/UTVs than regular batteries.

About to get another battery. Like clockwork, 3-1/2 years. I don't know what we do to them, but they're all about the same.

As Dan mentioned above, you can get Diehard batteries at Advance Auto these days. They no longer carry the Autocraft which I bought in January 2018 for my SUV.

I was looking at the Diehard Gold for $169 or Diehard Silver for $149 (more reserve minutes, but less cranking amps, 2 year warranty vs 3), and thought I'd check Costco.

Costco sells the Interstate battery for my car for $93, 3 year warranty, more cranking amps. I'll make a Costco run instead.

Fab Five

I got 7 years out of my last Interstate battery.
    Real Fan since 1958