Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Historic Heat Wave in the PNW

Bombino

Historic Heat Wave in the PNW

Not sure if this is being covered elsewhere but the predicted high today is 110+°. While this is hot for almost anyone not living in Arizona, up here it is nightmare levels of heat. To provide some context to this, it has only crossed 100° here five times in recorded history and two of those days were Saturday and Sunday. To make matters worse, this is an area which historically has not needed air conditioning (only 34% of homes/apartments in metro Seattle have AC). For example, my apartment does not have AC and the wall circuits aren't capable of supporting a portable one. Let's just say things are shaping up to be truly miserable and deadly for many.

On a lighter note, it could be worse. Everyone needs to pray for Wenatchee (bottom right of the image) because apparently they just opened up a portal to Hell.

208406095_2564981537130699_6582792390904389360_n.jpg

That or someone at KING5 messed up.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 06-28-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Re: Historic Heat Wave in the PNW

I worry what this will do to grapes in Willamette and the Oregon Pinot's....

Investigate Swamp Coolers. They work well in areas that have low natural humidity.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I'm not really in the market right now, but eventually will probably get a Class B RV and I have been enjoying reading Facebook groups with them. I have read several that have been camping/traveling in the Pacific Northwest, and really struggling with that heat. Unloading their campers at night when it is "only" 100°. That kind of thing.

Rupp's Runt

Geez! I was in the Army with a guy from Wenatchee. When we were in Basic in Ft. McClellan, Alabama he was always complaining about the heat and humidity, he really struggled with it.
    MOLON LABE!

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    I worry what this will do to grapes in Willamette and the Oregon Pinot's....
    This is a great question and one I don't have an answer for. Willamette, Yakima, Walla Walla, Columbia Valley, etc. (all major grape growing regions) are going to be impacted. A number of those same areas had their wine crops ruined last year due to smoke taint. Williamette: 116°, Yakima: 109°, Columbia Valley: 112-115° depending on the part, Walla Walla: 112°, and Red Mountain: 115°. While Seattle is expected to be cooler, most of those regions are expected to hit similar temperatures again today. Needless to say, wineries utilizing grapes from these regions are in for rough times over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I'm not really in the market right now, but eventually will probably get a Class B RV and I have been enjoying reading Facebook groups with them. I have read several that have been camping/traveling in the Pacific Northwest, and really struggling with that heat. Unloading their campers at night when it is "only" 100°. That kind of thing.
    If you ever make it out here, hit me up, we know of some amazing sites. I would hate to be in a camper without A/C, just being in my car with broken A/C was like being in an oven.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Geez! I was in the Army with a guy from Wenatchee. When we were in Basic in Ft. McClellan, Alabama he was always complaining about the heat and humidity, he really struggled with it.
    I grew up in Lexington, I am used to heat and humidity but I am not used to 110°C. Southern Washington/Northern Oregon were hotter than ANYWHERE in the United States except Death Valley. That says A LOT! This heat wave was truly the craziest I have ever encoutnered. To give you an idea of how quickly this came on, last Thursday the high was 76° and the low was 52°. By Monday it was 108°/73°. Last night was freaking MISERABLE, it was 95-100° in our bedroom until about 4am. Needless to say I am running on minimal sleep.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 06-29-2021 at 11:14 AM.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Heat and humidity in Alabama??? Oh my!
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post

I grew up in Lexington, I am used to heat and humidity but I am not used to 110°C.
    It's hot in the South, but few people are used to that temperature. Selected lobsters maybe.

BTW, sent you an email.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I grew up in Lexington, I am used to heat and humidity but I am not used to 110°C. Southern Washington/Northern Oregon were hotter than ANYWHERE in the United States except Death Valley. That says A LOT! This heat wave was truly the craziest I have ever encoutnered. To give you an idea of how quickly this came on, last Thursday the high was 76° and the low was 52°. By Monday it was 108°/73°. Last night was freaking MISERABLE, it was 95-100° in our bedroom until about 4am. Needless to say I am running on minimal sleep.
    110°C? I hope you mean 110°F, water will be boiling at 110°C.

Rupp's Runt

Not sure if this is being covered elsewhere but the predicted high today is 110+°
    It is being covered. I've heard about it a few times today. It was miserable here today, I couldn't imagine another 15 or 20 degrees.

Rupp's Runt

I assume the plus and degree symbol are making the C somehow on some devices. It is not showing that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I assume the plus and degree symbol are making the C somehow on some devices. It is not showing that for me.
    In the original post I see the plus sign. I think the post I quoted is a typo, or I sure hope it is.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    In the original post I see the plus sign. I think the post I quoted is a typo, or I sure hope it is.
    Has to be. If not, Pedro, you are welcome at my house to come cool off. I think our heat index was only around 100 lol

Bombino

Whoops! We have a process at work which uses that exact temperature so I type 110°C A LOT. I guess I added the C straight form muscle memory.

My daughter and her kids flew out to Oregon yesterday… could not have picked a worse time to visit the area since…. well, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

As someone living out here I can tell you it’s miserable. Yesterday was 114. Today 112. Rolling blackouts. Most people don’t own air conditioning. Pray this heat ends soon

I'm keeping Receipts!!

You guys are hardier than most. You have one place with 1100 degree temps, apparently a secret US nuclear above ground testing site, and Pedro is "not used to" 110 Celsius, which is 10 c more than your lobster dinner faces.

Color me impressed. here we just have heat, humidity and bugs.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I am headed to Palm Springs on Sat. High for the week is predicted to be upper 100's. Golf courses close if it tops 110.

And COVID has it such that you have to make reservations at the swimming pool for 3 hour shifts. Expect to find a watering hole that is open and hopefully indoors, with AC and no mask requirement. Keep in mind, its California so I'm not counting on it.

He in FL, we have flirted with 100's, just like every year for the last 30 I have been here.

Best thing to do is head to a mall with AC.
    Last edited by Doc; 07-01-2021 at 10:39 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

I have family in Bullhead City AZ. they’re looking at 119 today for a high… but they’re used to it, not unusual for summer months to be in 100teens.

Last time I was there a few years ago in April it was 110/112… dry heat, schmi heat it’s freaking hot there.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

We topped 120 a couple days this week here in Palm Springs. Leaving today. I set off the scanner at the airport due to sweat. I came thru and my entire shirt was lit up. Had to be patted down. That or I was getting ready to spontaneously combust
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    We topped 120 a couple days this week here in Palm Springs. Leaving today. I set off the scanner at the airport due to sweat. I came thru and my entire shirt was lit up. Had to be patted down. That or I was getting ready to spontaneously combust
    In that kind of weather they are going to stay busy if they have to Pat down every suspicious looking sweaty guy.

In that kind of weather they are going to stay busy if they have to Pat down every suspicious looking sweaty guy.
    I had just walked to the airport. Our arrival time was early AM, after rental cars closed, so we cabbed to the resort (could not get a lyft or uber in a reasonable timeframe as we were the last outside due to our golf clubs being last thing off the plane). Enterprise at the airport only had luxury cars which for the week were over $900.They also have a location a mile from the airport so we rented there for 1/3 of that. Our initial plan was to uber the first part of the week then get it on thurs for our trip to Joshua Tree and canyon drive, however our place was quite a ways out (we enjoy a walk but not a couple mile walk). We ended up getting it on Monday (closed on Sunday for the 4th)..Anyway, on the return we took luggage to airport and then returned the car. I consider Lyft but it was just 0.9 miles so I hoofed it. So I admit I was sweatier than most