Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

She wants to give it away so people have no incentive to go back to work.

This should bring it home for Kentuckians

In Kentucky, the CARES unemployment benefit disincentivizes 75 percent of workers from seeking employment. Last month, NPR shared the story of a Harlan, Ky., coffee shop owner whose workers requested that she lay them off so they could receive unemployment checks.

The HEROES Act would give many people even more of an incentive to avoid returning to work. The bill would issue a second round of $1,200 stimulus checks and extend the $600 per week unemployment supplement through Jan. 31, 2021.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 05-25-2020 at 08:38 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: She wanta to give it away so people have no incentive to go back to work.

My daughter is a nurse and the clinic she works for changed ownership when Our Lady of Bellefonte hospital closed. As a result of Covid19 she was laid off. She’s been drawing more than she was making, because of the unemployment benefits plus $600. She goes back to work tomorrow, but is anxious to return to work after spending time at home.

Re: She wanta to give it away so people have no incentive to go back to work.

but is anxious to return to work after spending time at home.

I suspect she is more the norm than the folks in Harlan, but they do represent a significant portion of those drawing unemployment today.
    seeya
    dan

Re: She wants to give it away so people have no incentive to go back to work.

This was easy to see coming, and has played out exactly as predicted by many.

Liberals don't want to address the fundamentals of economic incentives. If you want more of something you subsidize it, if you want less you tax it. It's pretty simple.

I need to hire 2 new people but I can't get anyone who wants to start until their unemployment runs out July 30th. I caught a break in that one guy I wanted was called back by his other employer so it was come to work or lose the benefits, so he's coming over, but I still can't fill the other position.

You'd be a fool to go back to work if you can avoid it with this system in place. Even people who make $50K or more are ahead being laid off b/c they don't take payroll taxes out of the unemployment payments.

I'm all for what we had to do to put money in people's pockets, but it should not have been such a boon. I get the states couldn't calculate things easily to just pay whatever made them whole, but it caused a lot of bad incentives.

The idea of extending it until January is insane. That's the difference between emergency spending that is a good role for government in a crisis, and a pie in the sky giveaway program that would cripple the economy.

I don't think liberals really want people to have to work at all. It's like having to do so to make a living is somehow wrong or bad. There are plenty of jobs about to start back up, even more had they not f-ed up the PPP small business loans, but I wonder if anyone will want to fill the positions.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

but I wonder if anyone will want to fill the positions.
    I am pretty sure that they can open up the southern border and get enough help until they qualify for government benefits.
    seeya
    dan

I have a friend that lives in Illinois. He owns about 20 gas/food marts and about 10 fast food franchises. He’s having difficulty getting employees to come back to work. He can ultimately end their unemployment
    ....and their employment with his businesses. He told me it doesn’t pay to be a nice guy at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    This was easy to see coming, and has played out exactly as predicted by many.

Liberals don't want to address the fundamentals of economic incentives. If you want more of something you subsidize it, if you want less you tax it. It's pretty simple.

I need to hire 2 new people but I can't get anyone who wants to start until their unemployment runs out July 30th. I caught a break in that one guy I wanted was called back by his other employer so it was come to work or lose the benefits, so he's coming over, but I still can't fill the other position.

You'd be a fool to go back to work if you can avoid it with this system in place. Even people who make $50K or more are ahead being laid off b/c they don't take payroll taxes out of the unemployment payments.

I'm all for what we had to do to put money in people's pockets, but it should not have been such a boon. I get the states couldn't calculate things easily to just pay whatever made them whole, but it caused a lot of bad incentives.

The idea of extending it until January is insane. That's the difference between emergency spending that is a good role for government in a crisis, and a pie in the sky giveaway program that would cripple the economy.

I don't think liberals really want people to have to work at all. It's like having to do so to make a living is somehow wrong or bad. There are plenty of jobs about to start back up, even more had they not f-ed up the PPP small business loans, but I wonder if anyone will want to fill the positions.
    They may not be holding taxes out, but unemployment benefits are taxable. https://blog.taxact.com/are-my-unemp...efits-taxable/

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    They may not be holding taxes out, but unemployment benefits are taxable. https://blog.taxact.com/are-my-unemp...efits-taxable/

Absolutely. But it's still less than taking out payroll taxes and then income taxes. It's a good deal. Too good lol.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

I know several making more sitting at home right now. Yet Kroger and Food Giant are short handed on employees.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I know several making more sitting at home right now. Yet Kroger and Food Giant are short handed on employees.
    No one will go to a new job if they can draw this kind of money. In Kentucky it's the equivalent of about $45-50K a year, give or take. So anyone making less than that has zero incentive to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    I have a friend that lives in Illinois. He owns about 20 gas/food marts and about 10 fast food franchises. He’s having difficulty getting employees to come back to work. He can ultimately end their unemployment
    ....and their employment with his businesses. He told me it doesn’t pay to be a nice guy at the moment...
    Does your friend like their insurance broker lol? I don’t normally do this on here, but I’ve been getting creative on calling on businesses since Covid-19 hit so why not try here.. I’ll shoot you my contact info in a PM

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    Does your friend like their insurance broker lol? I don’t normally do this on here, but I’ve been getting creative on calling on businesses since Covid-19 hit so why not try here.. I’ll shoot you my contact info in a PM
    Don't rule out social media. I am switching to State Farm. Have done most of it over Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    Solicitation is prohibited here. If you talk in private and the other member does not object then it is no problem as in that case it is just a private discussion. If they object and management receives complaints about the activity then further discussion will occur with management.

JFYI
    seeya
    dan