Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Fab Five

Cost of No College Football - At Least $4 Billion

According to this article. I tried to summarize, but there is a lot of information in this not all of which is, IMHO, consistent.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...virus-pandemic

Moved to Barber Shop in 3...2...1...

Re: Cost of No College Football - At Least $4 Billion

Very interesting. One of the arguments of those who are against college athletes being paid or being able to benefit from NIL is that athletes already get paid through their athletic scholarship. That 4 bil number seems to show they're not getting an equitable split of the financial pie if that's all they're getting.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 05-21-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...virus-pandemic

Moved to Barber Shop in 3...2...1...
    Naughty! Naughty! You’re upsetting the hand wringers! You could write Trump. You could write Pelosi. You could even use the F word with a finger emoji! Don’t ever use the C word on this board!
    Real Fan since 1958

There are some on here I’d like to get their feed back on where things stand now..

First we know the virus is real.. it’s very contagious... but the numbers speak for themselves on who it affects the most. Nothing has changed since day one, it hits people 65 or older hard, we need to protect that demographic. We did the right thing by helping out the medical field, but now because we kept things shutdown so long, several hospitals will go bankrupt. Nothing will ever be normal for awhile, but we have to try it. 79% of deaths are 65 or older.. 40k of the 91k deaths have come from NY and NJ.... 207 of the 356 in KY that have died have been in nursing homes i think

We have to protect our older parents and grand parents.

https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/index.html

Those numbers are very true, just one thing and only time will tell is what does the virus do to those that had it and recover long term.
    Still need things to open up and move to a normal.

I can see a model in the future where Football and mens basketball become "University affiliated Clubs" in the vein of European Soccer leagues. All other University sports are a true amateur model.

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    There are some on here I’d like to get their feed back on where things stand now..

First we know the virus is real.. it’s very contagious... but the numbers speak for themselves on who it affects the most. Nothing has changed since day one, it hits people 65 or older hard, we need to protect that demographic. We did the right thing by helping out the medical field, but now because we kept things shutdown so long, several hospitals will go bankrupt. Nothing will ever be normal for awhile, but we have to try it. 79% of deaths are 65 or older.. 40k of the 91k deaths have come from NY and NJ.... 207 of the 356 in KY that have died have been in nursing homes i think

We have to protect our older parents and grand parents.

https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/index.html
    Yep, we have known for AT LEAST a month that our Broad Based Approach to change related to COVID-19 is flawed. Did our country need to spend money. Yep...directed mostly at congregate care facliites like Assisted living, Nursing Homes, and IDD/MH Group homes.

We ceased external visits both in an out in all 35 of our group homes.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    I can see a model in the future where Football and mens basketball become "University affiliated Clubs" in the vein of European Soccer leagues. All other University sports are a true amateur model.
    Again, Rick Telander has already done this.

The Hundred Yard Lie published in 1989: https://www.amazon.com/Hundred-Yard-...0081862&sr=8-1

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Very interesting. One of the arguments of those who are against college athletes being paid or being able to benefit from NIL is that athletes already get paid through their athletic scholarship. That 4 bil number seems to show they're not getting an equitable split of the financial pie if that's all they're getting.
    It depends on how you look at it.

One of things in that article, although it's inconsistent in the presentation, is how college football pays for other sports, and how much of those other sports football pays for.

In one place, it's noted to be about 50% for P5 conferences, but in another the AD at Oregon State notes it is 80-85%. So are college football players getting an equitable share of college football revenues? No. But are they getting an equitable share if you account for the fact that college football pays for other sports? Quite likely.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Naughty! Naughty! You’re upsetting the hand wringers! You could write Trump. You could write Pelosi. You could even use the F word with a finger emoji! Don’t ever use the C word on this board!
    OK, I'm missing something - what "C" word?

BTW, new Jason Isbell?

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    OK, I'm missing something - what "C" word?

BTW, new Jason Isbell?
    You could use the C word you’re thinking but you can’t use Carona or Covid!
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    You could use the C word you’re thinking but you can’t use Carona or Covid!
    I was thinking a different "C" word.......
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.