Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Rupp's Runt

Better start cutting firewood to stay warm

https://nypost.com/2020/05/14/the-su...a4Xbt8xVZ2AQBI

No clue what this really means. Maybe some of you all know more about this.

Re: Better start cutting firewood to stay warm

It is supposed to be abnormally hot and dry this summer in the latest national service long range forecast.
    The solar minimum information has been there for over a year and the prediction for colder than normal winters in the northern hemisphere are expected until the sun turns on the sun spots and flares again.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

You can never tell. But the percentage of sunspots is virtually the same as last year.

This is probably more alarmist and a global warming tit for tat by Murdoch's tabloid.

Solar minimum Happens every 11 years or so.

https://www.pennlive.com/nation-worl...-to-earth.html

"Wrong, some exaggerated headlines suggest, as they promise famine, freezing temps, and droughts on Earth because the sun has entered a completely predictable and entirely normal solar minimum, according to Astronomer Dr. Tony Phillips"
    Last edited by kingcat; 05-16-2020 at 12:22 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

the sun has entered a completely predictable and entirely normal solar minimum, according to Astronomer Dr. Tony Phillips"
    Tony disagrees with the best in his profession. Sunspot activity and solar flare activity has been totally unpredictable for the last 5 years or more and solar scientists have been predicting a new wave of solar activity every year for "here again for at least the last 5 years".

They can't have it both ways. They have been blaming the lack of global warming on the trend toward solar minimum, and now they want to say it is not happening?
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Tony disagrees with the best in his profession. Sunspot activity and solar flare activity has been totally unpredictable for the last 5 years or more and solar scientists have been predicting a new wave of solar activity every year for "here again for at least the last 5 years".

They can't have it both ways. They have been blaming the lack of global warming on the trend toward solar minimum, and now they want to say it is not happening?
    So it is a tit for tat thing. I'm personally making no argument for or against GW. Only that the sensationalism can be attributed to that. No one denied the solar minimum...it is a scientific fact.
    Yet the article leads one to believe we should prepare for a solar minimum disaster, and maybe it will and we should. Who knows but our Creator?
    As for the sunspot count, there were 77 the former yearly cycle and 78 for this one

But..

NASA actually forecast the low point (solar minimum) to begin in either 2019 or 2020 several years ago. (as early as 2014 as it comes approx. every 11 years) As this article back in 2017 shows.

“This is called solar minimum,” says Dean Pesnell of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD. “And it’s a regular part of the sunspot cycle.”

The sun is heading toward solar minimum now. Sunspot counts were relatively high in 2014, and now they are sliding toward a low point expected in 2019-2020"

https://science.nasa.gov/science-new...imum-is-coming

"Why is it happening now?

Simply put, because it’s time to.

The Space Weather Prediction Center, which is a NOAA/NASA collaboration, wrote in a recent post that the minimum between Solar Cycle 24 and Solar Cycle 25 would happen sometime this year.

“The NOAA/NASA co-chaired, international panel to forecast Solar Cycle 25 released their latest forecast for Solar Cycle 25. The forecast consensus: a peak in July, 2025 (+/- 8 months), with a smoothed sunspot number (SSN) of 115. The panel agreed that Cycle 25 will be average in intensity and similar to Cycle 24,” the panel wrote on Dec. 9, 2019.

“Additionally, the panel concurred that solar minimum between Cycles 24 and 25 will occur in April, 2020 (+/- 6 months). If the solar minimum prediction is correct, this would make Solar Cycle 24 the 7th longest on record (11.4 years).”
    Last edited by kingcat; 05-16-2020 at 01:11 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Rupp's Runt

Do I need to put in a fireplace or not? LOL

Actually abnormally cold would not bother me. I like cold weather. Strange I know.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

I would put in a fireplace if I liked looking at the blaze or if I were young enough to hope to attract a beautiful young lady with the fire and a bear skin rug, otherw9ise, I would say nah, just go with a wood burning stove and a nice double wall flue.
    seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I were young enough to hope to attract a beautiful young lady with the fire and a bear skin rug.
    In my mind I'm still young enough. My shape and wife probably disagree.

Grammy & I both love our fireplace. Staring at the flames and just relaxing. It makes the winter a little more tolerable.
    Many is the nights we have fell asleep in front of it; that is some good sleeping...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Science has known the minimum was coming. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle

We have one of those fake electric fireplaces built into the TV stand/cabinet. It looks real enough but doesn't crackle, hiss, or pop.

Rupp's Runt

Really debated about a real fireplace in my basement. Chose not to. Don't really regret it but often times wonder if we would have enjoyed one.

Do plan on adding a propane when I finish my main room down there.

Something about a real fireplace that is just magical...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Something about a real fireplace that is just magical...
    Agreed!

I am not saying it is not a metric butt ton of work, but a nice merlot or riesling with a meat fruit and cheese tray or hot cocoa and a hot cup of Irish Coffee with the one you love; man that is living.