Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Lincoln Riley’s Thoughts on 6-1 Target Date

Lincoln Riley’s Thoughts on 6-1 Target Date

“I definitely think we’ll play,” Riley said about the 2020 season. “When we play, I just think everybody, whether it’s our decision makers, our coaches, our players, fans, everybody’s gotta have a very open mind about this. We’re not the NFL. There are some huge, huge differences in us being able to put on a successful season versus a professional league. We’re not the NBA, we just don’t have 15 players. This is a totally different deal.

“I do believe that if we do it right, if we’re patient enough on some key areas like when we bring our players back on campus. All this talk of schools wanting to bring players back on June 1st is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/as-sec-is-s...233152024.html
    Last edited by Terminus; 05-14-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Re: Lincoln Riley’s Thoughts on 6-1 Target Date

Some schools are contemplating reopening campuses for June summer sessions.

Fab Five

You have to be careful of anything you read on Yahoo. Outside the financial data and the latest on Harry and Megan, it is agenda driven reporting.

With gyms opening across the South, it is not unreasonable to think schools would allow players to come back for conditioning and rehab.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 05-15-2020 at 01:44 AM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Lincoln Riley’s Thoughts on 6-1 Target Date

This may be the same interview.

@dennisdoddcbs: Lincoln Riley: “All this talk about these schools wanting to bring players back on June 1 is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard." LR wants latest return possible for, you know, safety reasons. Imagine that. https://oklahoman.com/article/566237...medium=twitter

State of Ky, gyms open June 1

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    You have to be careful of anything you read on Yahoo. Outside the financial data and the latest on Harry and Megan, it is agenda driven reporting.

With gyms opening across the South, it is not unreasonable to think schools would allow players to come back for conditioning and rehab.
    I think it is important to vet sources. This is a quote from a head coach. Take it for what it is worth. But Yahoo's sports have done a pretty good job, sans Forde, of quoting folks accurately.

Fab Five

A guy with a Lexington based sports radio show reports the SEC AD’s are in favor of reopening 13-1. Fulmer is the lone no.

Sankey has told AD’s and Presidents to appoint a Medical Advisor in their state.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 05-15-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    Real Fan since 1958

I'd let them back immediately, but that's obviously not gonna happen.

I will say this, I don't give a crap what Lincoln Riley (or anyone in any other conference) thinks, but I'd be VERY pleasantly surprised if SEC Presidents allow them to come back June 1. They're not even meeting/having the call until 5/22. I'd say June 15 is more realistic.

But even that might be optimistic when you're talking about presidents.

Fab Five

I have faith Capilouto will support football as best he can. The Commissioner, the SEC staff, and the schools are working hard to make football happen this autumn. Based on what I read anD hear, I am confident you will see athletes back on campus between June 8 and 10. One concern I hear being voiced is for the condition of the athletes. Some who have had surgery since the season ended are in need of rehab. Some with families where there is no bread winner are in need of better nutrition. So, if I believe you will see some, maybe not all, of these athletes returning In early June.

Not being reported widely is the exchange of best practices between the NFL and the Power 5 Conferences. If, for no other reason than to limit their liability, you will see agreement on what the new standards for player and fan safety should be.

And Don’t minimize the impact new technology will have. For example, the use of drones to sanitize stadiums and player facilities will be commonplace. A lot of Innovative work is taking place behind the scenes. There are a lot of things that must come together, but the attitude of the SEC is to find ways to make positive things happen. But, I wouldn’t call all this activity a pull of the slot machine arm or a push of the slot machine button.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 05-15-2020 at 12:19 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

To what Mick just said, we are using ultraviolet lighting to sanitize medical facilities on a nightly basis. There’s a lot that can be done to get to a level of reasonable safety. We will never get to absolute safety. We never have been. Otherwise we wouldn’t even play football or allow spectators.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    To what Mick just said, we are using ultraviolet lighting to sanitize medical facilities on a nightly basis. There’s a lot that can be done to get to a level of reasonable safety. We will never get to absolute safety. We never have been. Otherwise we wouldn’t even play football or allow spectators.
    Reasonable people are taking over leadership roles in this country. The hand wringers and Chicken Littles are being passed over.
    Real Fan since 1958

Yep... and with gyms opening, the case could easily be made that the safest place for them to workout and train would be at school in a controlled and monitored environment with excellent available health care. Otherwise, they're going to be going whatever they can find that's open anyway, which would likely be less safe.

One and Done

A guy with a Lexington based sports radio show reports the SEC AD’s are in favor of reopening 13-1. Fulmer is the lone no.

Sankey has told AD’s and Presidents to appoint a Medical Advisor in their state.
    Hard to understand what Fulmer is thinking. Knox County TN has had 305 cases. No new cases in three days and no hospitalizations. I fully understand the seriousness of this virus but Knoxville is currently doing well in dealing with it.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by TNCat View Post
    Hard to understand what Fulmer is thinking. Knox County TN has had 305 cases. No new cases in three days and no hospitalizations. I fully understand the seriousness of this virus but Knoxville is currently doing well in dealing with it.
    I’m sure it’s about competitive advantage. He must think other coaches have more conditioning work to do than Pruitt.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

ESPN is now reporting that according to ACC Commissioner all 5 Power Conferences are working with NFL on protocols.

This thing is ramping up very quickly!
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    State of Ky, gyms open June 1
    That is not high school or college gyms. He is going to allow public fitness centers to reopen then with restrictions and special guidelines and rules of operation. He has not mentioned reopening of high school and college facilities as far as I know.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

The big hurdle is going to be creating a controlled environment, which is much more difficult to do for football than basketball.

With so many football players at every university living off campus, there will have to be very detailed plans in place. Considering that SEC will allow the universities to define and control this, there's definitely room for varying policies.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Some schools are contemplating reopening campuses for June summer sessions.
    It appears we will fully open July 1. We are offering for select programs to finish their technical labs next week.

One and Done

I’m sure it’s about competitive advantage. He must think other coaches have more conditioning work to do than Pruitt.
    Actually, the TN Board of Regents won’t allow coaches back on campus until June 15th. My daughter rows for UT and has been told this first hand by her coach. Fat Phil doesn’t won’t his teams to be 15 days behind all the other schools in conditioning.

JMHO, but when it comes down to it and the student athletes are told which day to show up on campus, I am picking August 1 and that day is picked hoping that crap does not hit the rotating air diffusing device and do not get worse after things are opened up.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by TNCat View Post
    Actually, the TN Board of Regents won’t allow coaches back on campus until June 15th. My daughter rows for UT and has been told this first hand by her coach. Fat Phil doesn’t won’t his teams to be 15 days behind all the other schools in conditioning.
    I thought Phil was the governor.
    Real Fan since 1958