Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Fab Five

Something to Pass The Time - Music

When I was in Liverpool earlier this spring as you might guess it piqued my interest a bit in The Beatles. So after having the trip cut short in Mid-March and returning to nothing to do I read a couple of books about them, including one written by the guy who engineered most of their albums. As it was very much an "audio" thing I started following along with the albums and ended up listening to them front to back (the UK versions). I then read a book about EJ (not the autobiography, which I have read and is excellent) but another about his time in the 70s. That led me to listen to his stuff from Empty Sky up to he mid-80s or so.

I then realized that as much as I had heard from the Stones I had never really listented to a lot of their stuff so I started at the beginning and went to the end with the exception of the live albums.

I just finished Zep and have now started on The Who.

I've always been big EJ fan so no real surprises there other than paying a bit more attention. Same with The Beatles, but with them if you go front to back you can barely believe that in four short years they went from "She Loves You" to "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" or "A Day In the Life." The progression is amazing.

I had never really listened to much of the Stones pre-Beggers Banquet. The first 6 or 7 are really great. A wonderful rock n' roll band trying to find something in the blues that is theirs. The seem to lose the thread a bit in the late 60s (Their Satanic Majesties Request is really bad) but pick it up with Beggars Banquet that leads to three of the best albums ever made in a row - Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street. What I was surprised about was how well the more recent albums hold up. No doubt they get more slickly produced and unfortunately Keith takes more of a backseat to Mick's desire to update their sound (his solo stuff is putrid), but they remain a very good band.

Zep is Zep. I was never a *huge* fan and listening to their stuff didn't change my mind much.

I'm now on The Who. Not sure where I will go next. Would love to do the Kinks, but their output was so up and down. Bowie would be good as well.

Anyway, something to pass the time!!

Re: Something to Pass The Time - Music

Coincidentally, I found this YouTube channel this morning that plays the isolated vocals on Beatles songs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfQ...bAjmakYnPbr9JQ
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Fab Five

Tom, if interested, Birmingham Mountain radio has a show on Sunday mornings 8-10, hosted by J Willoughby. It is Rock ‘n roll U. J as you may know is an accomplished musician and formed the Black Jacket Symphony. He is a Beatles authority. He also is one of the most knowledgeable people on the albums BJS performs. if you can’t get it over the air, you can stream it.

Also, following him from 10-2 pm is Scott Register who is totally in to the new music scene. He has been out front promoting up and coming artists, particularly those with up coming concerts. I remember going to a Brandi Carlisle concert at Work Play when she was an unknown artist. I did so solely on his recommendation. He’s been out front on so many others as well.

Anyway, I tend to listen all day Sunday and both programs have enriched my listening pleasure.

I’ve attached a link. I also recommend Lost Child Radio which airs at 9:00 am on Saturdays. There is a replay late Tuesday Night. https://bhammountainradio.com/
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 05-14-2020 at 12:07 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Another YouTube channel I like: Record producer Rick Beato. He has a running series on his channel called "What Makes This Song Great?" that breaks down songs from a producer's standpoint. I can't even read music, but I find his deep dive into music theory and production really interesting.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 05-14-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Fab Five

Thanks, guys!! Will definitely try to check these out.

I, like many of us, love music but due to not playing anything a lot of the "technical" aspect are way beyond my understanding, if not my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Coincidentally, I found this YouTube channel this morning that plays the isolated vocals on Beatles songs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfQ...bAjmakYnPbr9JQ

Loved Thas Boy...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.