Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dennis Dodd, CBS prediction on whether there will be college football in the Fall

Dennis Dodd, CBS prediction on whether there will be college football in the Fall

@dennisdoddcbs: Latest projection on if there will be cfb this fall -- 35%.

Re: Dennis Dodd, CBS prediction on whether there will be college football in the Fall

There will be a season, just won’t be till second semester

Comeback Cat

Re: Dennis Dodd, CBS prediction on whether there will be college football in the Fall

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    Gives TW more healing time.

Dennis Dodd, CBS prediction on whether there will be college football in the Fall

Quote Originally Posted by LakeCat View Post
    Gives TW more healing time.
    Great point.

I’d be fine with that, although “Spring” probably really means winter/cold.

It's just one media guy, don't read too much into it, either.

Kind of a side note, and it probably doesn’t apply to the media such as Dodd.

Anyway, the NFL commish apparently told coaches and owners to quit going on every form of media and speculating about the season. Says it’s doing no good, and just confusing everyone as people try to speculate and all these different opinions are given. I happen to agree it’s probably not helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    During cold and flu season? Not a good idea. There is no reason at this point not to schedule it for fall. The virus will be gone by August.

I have been lead to believe it’s a fore gone conclusion that there will be a season.
    Has to be!

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    During cold and flu season? Not a good idea. There is no reason at this point not to schedule it for fall. The virus will be gone by August.
    And you can guarantee that?

Dr Fauci comes and Says the virus will determine the schedule lol..

I would bet the farm there will be a 2020 season, even if it's in 2021. Of course we sold the family farm years ago, lol

So let's say our government decides to do test, trace, and isolate method meaning that if you test positive, they trace who you've been in contact with the last week or so and then those have to isolate 14 days.

how in the world could you have a season if a player gets sick, his whole team, and his last opponents whole team have to isolate?

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    @dennisdoddcbs: Latest projection on if there will be cfb this fall -- 35%.
    I’m. Not sure what he knowsthat no one else does.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    I would bet the farm there will be a 2020 season, even if it's in 2021. Of course we sold the family farm years ago, lol
    lol. I'll bet your family farm that, too.

FWIW, my personal opinion is the same as yours. I think there will be a 2020 season. I also think it will be in the Fall.

Nobody asked me, but I'd put the odds at:

2020 Season: 85%
    2020 Fall Season: 50%.

JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    What happened to the virus would run its course by June?

It's not going to be GONE by August either. That'll be about the time the 2nd wave starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick541 View Post
    So let's say our government decides to do test, trace, and isolate method meaning that if you test positive, they trace who you've been in contact with the last week or so and then those have to isolate 14 days.

how in the world could you have a season if a player gets sick, his whole team, and his last opponents whole team have to isolate?
    Our government will be doing none of those on a mass scale, so there's no worry about that, but your last question is legitimate.

"She's a wonderful young woman, Katie, she tested very good for a long period of time, and then all of the sudden today she tested positive.....This is why the whole concept of tests aren't necessarily great. The tests are perfect, but something can happen between a test where it's good and then something happens and all of the sudden. She was tested very recently and tested negative, and then today I guess for some reason she tested positive."

"If we did very little testing, [America] wouldn't have the most cases, so, in a way, by doing all of this testing, we make ourselves look bad."

Those quotes do not bode well for the planning of testing that we need to effectively minimize the impact of the virus. It's actually really eye-opening on the ignorance of the ability of the virus to spread. That quote certainly isn't going to make any players feel good about the availability of testing.

MLB is producing their plan to the players union tomorrow. Based off that response, it could be the first domino to fall, but that response could almost certainly doom football to 2021.
    Last edited by StuBleedsBlue2; 05-11-2020 at 06:16 PM.

I dont even watch football but the problem is, if football goes, athletic budgets will crumble.

This, why I maintain there will be a season

Take it how you want but unfortunately the life economy is way more important then sports.
    This there has to be college football is just off base.
    When companies start talking about a 20% reduction in work force that the real deal.

Schools all over are announcing a return to on campus classes for the fall terms beginning in August.

Georgia, who seems to be the most aggressive state in coming back has been opened up for over 2 weeks now, had their best day Saturday since Covid 19 started the way I heard it

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    Georgia, who seems to be the most aggressive state in coming back has been opened up for over 2 weeks now, had their best day Saturday since Covid 19 started the way I heard it
    Not quite

ga-covid.jpgga2-covid.jpg
    Last edited by StuBleedsBlue2; 05-11-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Dr. Fauci is certainly not endorsing it....not real surprised.

https://247sports.com/college/kentuc...wxil1aAEPEo4ck

Peace

Richard (CW)

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    If deaths are used as the measurement, then your data doesn't contradict what Terry posted. There were only 5 deaths on Saturday and 1 on Sunday.

That's right

Heading towards 100,000 is that enough or ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Basket Case View Post
    If deaths are used as the measurement, then your data doesn't contradict what Terry posted. There were only 5 deaths on Saturday and 1 on Sunday.
    That's why I said not quite, and part of that was responding to the implication that things are getting better. They are clearly not. Plus, I'm not just talking about deaths, it's about cases. These are numbers you should be seeing going down, not range bound.

States can have a one day abnormality based on when/how they get their reporting. You have to look at trends, not data points. Georgia has cluster day dips on weekends.

100,000 is better than the 2.2 million that was forecast had the President elected to do nothing. People die in those type numbers from car accidents, drug overdoses, flu, pneumonia, too. Poverty kills also. The Treasury Sec said if we don't get things open we risk having permanent damage to the economy

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    That's why I said not quite, and part of that was responding to the implication that things are getting better. They are clearly not. Plus, I'm not just talking about deaths, it's about cases. These are numbers you should be seeing going down, not range bound.

States can have a one day abnormality based on when/how they get their reporting. You have to look at trends, not data points. Georgia has cluster day dips on weekends.
    Since this is now on the Barber shop, I'll respond.

This wont' get better for a while. Period. Whether we lock down, stay home, open up, stand on our heads or drink pickle juice and lemon.

Waiting for a numeric target that will never come makes it a useless target. It's not going to happen that we see declining cases for 2 weeks straight, and even if we do as soon as we open up more or expand testing that will change. Do we then shut down again? That's completely unrealistic.

So we need to get over it. People are going to die. People died before this started, and they'll die when this is over. It's sad, but it's the reality of life that we have death.

Thus it's only down to what balance we strike between getting on with life and trying to minimize the death toll. And NO, that is not necessarily minimizing the number of cases, as if everyone gets this and lives and we get broad immunity we're far better off than not.

We can't shut down until we get everyone a manufactured vaccine, so we have to find a balance between people getting it but the hospitals having enough capacity to treat Covid patients AND the regular patients. That's the only balance, living life and moving on but not collapsing our health care system.

That's it. That simple. Where we draw that line is of course very tricky, so we'll have to feel our way in steps.

But living in fear in our homes and waiting for drone deliveries of vital food and medicine isn't going to cut it.

Stopping the Nazis and Japanese militarists cost lives. The Spanish Flu cost lives. This will cost lives. We can work to minimize them, but it can't be the only variable in the equation. Otherwise we would have never gone to war in Europe b/c that would have definitely minimized US losses. Sometimes we have to do what we have to do, and right now we need to keep calm and carry on.

As for football, that is so far down my priority list I haven't got words to express it. We need to figure out our economy so we can all basically function. If we can manage that and keep the hospitals functioning successfully with minimum risk to those who work there (by keeping them not overwhelmed and well supplied is about the best we can do), then we'll worry about college campuses and sports of all levels.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 05-12-2020 at 01:18 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Since this is now on the Barber shop, I'll respond.

This wont' get better for a while. Period. Whether we lock down, stay home, open up, stand on our heads or drink pickle juice and lemon.

Waiting for a numeric target that will never come makes it a useless target. It's not going to happen that we see declining cases for 2 weeks straight, and even if we do as soon as we open up more or expand testing that will change. Do we then shut down again? That's completely unrealistic.

So we need to get over it. People are going to die. People died before this started, and they'll die when this is over. It's sad, but it's the reality of life that we have death.

Thus it's only down to what balance we strike between getting on with life and trying to minimize the death toll. And NO, that is not necessarily minimizing the number of cases, as if everyone gets this and lives and we get broad immunity we're far better off than not.

We can't shut down until we get everyone a manufactured vaccine, so we have to find a balance between people getting it but the hospitals having enough capacity to treat Covid patients AND the regular patients. That's the only balance, living life and moving on but not collapsing our health care system.

That's it. That simple. Where we draw that line is of course very tricky, so we'll have to feel our way in steps.

But living in fear in our homes and waiting for drone deliveries of vital food and medicine isn't going to cut it.

Stopping the Nazis and Japanese militarists cost lives. The Spanish Flu cost lives. This will cost lives. We can work to minimize them, but it can't be the only variable in the equation. Otherwise we would have never gone to war in Europe b/c that would have definitely minimized US losses. Sometimes we have to do what we have to do, and right now we need to keep calm and carry on.

As for football, that is so far down my priority list I haven't got words to express it. We need to figure out our economy so we can all basically function. If we can manage that and keep the hospitals functioning successfully with minimum risk to those who work there (by keeping them not overwhelmed and well supplied is about the best we can do), then we'll worry about college campuses and sports of all levels.
    Damn. I guess I need to send back all the pickle juice and lemons I ordered to create "Dr. Baker's Wonderful Coranavirus Cure and Floor Cleaner."

I can't disagree with anything you say. I have a friend who wrote something recently based on what he was hearing in and around DC (he works for the govt) to the effect that by wasting the time we did, we really have no option now but to begin phased openings and simply accept the number of deaths. I think the critical balancing act will be between the number of people who have serious health issues due to the virus and our ability to handle them. Deaths are going to occur, but we need to be able to minimize that number by having a plan as to how we will first maximize what we need to treat people (e.g., ventilators) and how we will go about allocating those resources.

Right now the vast majority of us see video/reporting from NYC and compare that to our empty local hospitals. What some are unfortunately unable to see is those local hospitals getting to where those in NYC have been. Here's hoping that never happens, or if it does it doesn't happen all at once or is more of a "rolling" event so that resources can be utilized where and when needed.