Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

anybody know the scoop on Radon gas??

trying to decide if I need to be proactive on our home. Am building in CO and they are getting ready to excavate. The question came up on Radon, and whether or not to put in piping and additional gravel backfill under the foundation or just test after the house is done and if noted then address. Prepipeing run about $2500, and then if house test positive then its just getting a fan. If you don't prepipe and it tests positive then you drill a hole in the foundation and add the fan. Wife want the prepiping but I'm fine with not and then if it tests positive, its likely the same cost (drilling thru foundation and adding a vent). Any thoughts on this? Anybody ever have a Radon issue?
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Fab Five

Re: anybody know the scoop on Radon gas??

Ask if radon can develop over time. My understandiing is that it can. If true put in the pipe. If not roll the dice.
    Real Fan since 1958

Bombino

I believe it can as the rocks move and settle within the earth. I agree with Mick, better to just put it in, especially since the cost isn't insane.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    I believe it can as the rocks move and settle within the earth. I agree with Mick, better to just put it in, especially since the cost isn't insane.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
    of course it is not your big bucks involved.
    Real Fan since 1958

In the grand scheme of things $2500 isn’t a lot of money compared to what your total investment is on the house.

Peace of mind, resale, hassle down the road, spend the $2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Those were my thoughts as well. Just have it....its only money (LOL)
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Put it in—you will have to test it upon resale and retrofit as part of the sale if you dont do it now

When I come visit, I'd prefer it be in, Doc.

Do you have a radon detector in your home? Or is it new construction?

I’d roll the dice if radon isn’t normally an issue in the area, then spend the money on geothermal.

Colorado is like KY as it is considered a 1 on the EPA scale of whether radon is prevalent in the area.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Colorado is like KY as it is considered a 1 on the EPA scale of whether radon is prevalent in the area.
    What is the scale?

Here's a pretty handy-dandy radon map. You can click on a state and get a lot of the county radon levels.

https://www.radon.com/maps/

You can click again, and get even more info. Here's my county. Looks like it varies pretty significantly even within the county.

Shelby County
    Average Radon Level: 1.8 pCi/L
    Results above 4.0 pCi/L: 10.5%
    Results above 2.0 pCi/L: 30.7%

A little blurb from the site about Radon levels:

Radon Act 51 passed by Congress set the natural outdoor level of radon gas (0.4 pCi/L) as the target radon level for indoor radon levels. Unfortunately two-thirds of all homes exceed this level. The US EPA was tasked with setting practical guidelines and recommendations for the nation. To this end, the US EPA has set an action level of 4 pCi/L. At or above this level of radon, the EPA recommends you take corrective measures to reduce your exposure to radon gas. This does not imply that a level below 4.0 pCi/L is considered acceptable, as stated in the BEIR VI study . It is estimated that a reduction of radon levels to below 2 pCi/L nationwide would likely reduce the yearly lung cancer deaths attributed to radon by 50%. However, even with an action level of 2.0 pCi/L, the cancer risk presented by radon gas is still hundreds of times greater than the risks allowed for carcinogens in our food and water.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 05-12-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    Do you have a radon detector in your home? Or is it new construction?
    New construction

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I’d roll the dice if radon isn’t normally an issue in the area, then spend the money on geothermal.
    Reports have as much as half the homes test.positive

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Here's a pretty handy-dandy radon map. You can click on a state and get a lot of the county radon levels.

https://www.radon.com/maps/

You can click again, and get even more info. Here's my county. Looks like it varies pretty significantly even within the county.

Shelby County
    Average Radon Level: 1.8 pCi/L
    Results above 4.0 pCi/L: 10.5%
    Results above 2.0 pCi/L: 30.7%

A little blurb from the site about Radon levels:

Radon Act 51 passed by Congress set the natural outdoor level of radon gas (0.4 pCi/L) as the target radon level for indoor radon levels. Unfortunately two-thirds of all homes exceed this level. The US EPA was tasked with setting practical guidelines and recommendations for the nation. To this end, the US EPA has set an action level of 4 pCi/L. At or above this level of radon, the EPA recommends you take corrective measures to reduce your exposure to radon gas. This does not imply that a level below 4.0 pCi/L is considered acceptable, as stated in the BEIR VI study . It is estimated that a reduction of radon levels to below 2 pCi/L nationwide would likely reduce the yearly lung cancer deaths attributed to radon by 50%. However, even with an action level of 2.0 pCi/L, the cancer risk presented by radon gas is still hundreds of times greater than the risks allowed for carcinogens in our food and water.
    Park Co. Average ia 7.4. Not an issue in FL so not really all that informed.

Doc!! Put it in at build. 7.4 is bad for you and bad for resale and you need to just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Park Co. Average ia 7.4. Not an issue in FL so not really all that informed.
    For $2500 it’s a no brainer, have it installed ground up. Of course me spending your money is a no brainer too! What else do you want me to buy with your money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

2500 aint' chump change but it seems to me you would never feel right about not going the distance.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

We got final total quote (for entire project)..including radon mitigation. Day one and 100k over budget...so $2,500 is no big deal

Holy.
    Lord.
    Are you backfilling with gold dust?
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Doc, I think you've made a decision, and a good one IMO, but if you have particular questions my gf knows a lot about radon issues and systems. This area has a lot of radon risks due to the limestone shelf and she's a Realtor, and also actually worked with the systems some years ago. Drop me a line if so, but I think the sound move is to get it and be done. Small money this early to not have to worry about it, esp. if it's an at risk area.

Honestly for the cost of surveying it and doing an actual test you'd have a chunk of it paid for anyway.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Holy.
    Lord.
    Are you backfilling with gold dust?
    No...that was the whole project...house, have to bring power, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Doc, I think you've made a decision, and a good one IMO, but if you have particular questions my gf knows a lot about radon issues and systems. This area has a lot of radon risks due to the limestone shelf and she's a Realtor, and also actually worked with the systems some years ago. Drop me a line if so, but I think the sound move is to get it and be done. Small money this early to not have to worry about it, esp. if it's an at risk area.

Honestly for the cost of surveying it and doing an actual test you'd have a chunk of it paid for anyway.
    Yes.... we are putting it in. Roughly 1/2 the homes have issues and we are at the top of a mountain so high potential