Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Boiled peanuts

Boiled peanuts

Just finished Bloody Mary boiled peanuts from Alabama Peanut Company. Yum.

Had some roasted Cajun peanuts and roasted salted peanuts as well.

They are downtown, home if the old Peanut Depot, which was about a hundred feet from where I used to work. We would walk down there, grab a $2 brown sack and have a treat in the afternoon.

With Covid-19 stay at home, the Alabama Peanut Company has offered delivery service to various neighborhoods. They repeat once every 2 weeks. So we've had a couple of deliveries of those bad boys.

Will need to ration the roasted peanuts, because I can't order them next week. We'll be on the cycle for week after next.

(You can still buy them curbside if you can't wait. But for me, that's about a 30 mile round trip. I work downtown often enough that I can do it if I think about it, but this delivery has been NICE.)

Re: Boiled peanuts

I do not doubt that I would like the roasted peanuts, heck I might even love them, but man the boiled peanuts would knock a buzzard off a gut wagon at 100 yards. Those things are disgusting
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Boiled peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Ahhh!
    Only in the south!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Boiled peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I do not doubt that I would like the roasted peanuts, heck I might even love them, but man the boiled peanuts would knock a buzzard off a gut wagon at 100 yards. Those things are disgusting
    You haven't had good ones. They are terrific.

Dan is right. Boiled peanuts are awful

Boiled peanuts

Tell me the last time either of you have had boiled peanuts from Alabama peanut company with the Bloody Mary season concoction. Then we'll talk! Until then, you guys don't know what you are missing.

Last time is never. Next time is same as last time.
    seeya
    dan

I really like bloody marys, and I am not willing to ruin one by drowning disgusting boiled peanuts in it..
    seeya
    dan

I’ve had some boiled peanuts in Lafayette Louisiana when on business for my employer. I’d had them prior in Kentucky. The Acadians in Louisiana know how to do em.

Boiled peanuts

Hey, not my fault you guys are confusing a Yugo for a Bentley.

Absolutely right about the Cajuns doing it right. Alabama Peanut Company does as well.

For goodness sake, why would you put it IN a Bloody Mary. The Bloody Mary flavor is infused in every morsel. Yum.

I bet they do. Seems I had to go a good bit south to get good ones.
    Hey, not my fault you guys are confusing a Yugo for a Bentley.

Absolutely right about the Cajuns doing it right. Alabama Peanut Company does as well.

For goodness sake, why would you put it IN a Bloody Mary. The Bloody Mary flavor is infused in every morsel. Yum.

Boiled peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    I bet they do. Seems I had to go a good bit south to get good ones.
    In fairness, and in all sincerity, I am told that the best peanuts to boil are green peanuts and they are exceedingly difficult to get outside of the South. It is possible, and probable that they're trying to do something with inferior peanuts (for this purpose), and you can't make something good unless the beginning part of the product is good.

Or as they used to say, GIGO.

The ones I had were in North Carolina, not exactly the north, but I believe they were just from some old boy selling them on the side of a country road - not exactly a top notch restaurant or food company, but at least as much down-to-earth friend.y service as you’ll find

Everybody else in the cat loved them.

I'm willing to try them, but I'll just have a couple of regular Bloody Marys too. If I have enough them I'm sure to like the peanuts.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Bombino

My wife LOVES boiled peanuts (especially ultra spicy ones), I am neutral on them my self. That being said Bloody Mary sounds amazing!

Fab Five

I have not had Bloody Mary, but I’m all in. For over 30 years i have been going to the place downtown. You can smell them roasting all up and down Morris Av. Since I stopped working downtown, I stop there on my bike rides and get them straight from the roaster. With the old owners I would put a $5 bill on the counter and tell the guy to give me a nickel bag.

For about 4 years in the 90s, Peanut Depot peanuts were sold at CWS. I was sick when they lost the contract. The ones now are just awful. But the taste of fresh roasted can’t be beat. You don’t need salt. I always have a bag or two of raw peanuts on hand so I can roast my own.
    Real Fan since 1958

My GF assures me that the store bought ones are awful and the ones people cook right in stands are unbelievably good. I'll take her word for it and wait till we find someone who knows what they are doing to try them.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Do not buy from the road side vendors in the North Carolina mts. You can't find any live buzzards in that part of the world.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    My GF assures me that the store bought ones are awful and the ones people cook right in stands are unbelievably good. I'll take her word for it and wait till we find someone who knows what they are doing to try them.
    I agree with her, for the most part. I tried ones from a can once. ONCE. Uggh.

But I will say this in defense of those who do not like boiled peanuts. I detest coconut. Not the flavor, but the texture. People try to convince me it's good, and I try, and I try...about once a year or so I'll try it again just to see if, hopefully, my tastebuds have changed.

They do not.

So it could be the same way with the anti-boiled peanut crowd. It could be you've had some bad boiled peanuts (if all I had was that disgusting thing out of a can, I'd never eat another boiled peanut).

It might be that you've had some cooked on the side of the road, but they're not the proper green peanut type.

But it could be that you bought from the right place, they cooked the right peanut, and you just don't like it. As the only guy in my family that dislikes coconut, I feel your pain, you anti-BPers!

(But if you haven't tried good boiled peanuts...give it a try. You might find you like it. Don't just eat one, either. Try several. Eat them hot. I like them cold myself sometimes--like these bloody mary boiled peanuts. But try different types. Then if you don't like it, you've given it the good college try.)

I’d had them prior in Kentucky close to Lake Cumberland. They were ok.....just ok. Not the kind of thing I’d go out of my way to get again. Then, my Cajun buddy told me his were a must have. Converted.....lol
    I agree with her, for the most part. I tried ones from a can once. ONCE. Uggh.

But I will say this in defense of those who do not like boiled peanuts. I detest coconut. Not the flavor, but the texture. People try to convince me it's good, and I try, and I try...about once a year or so I'll try it again just to see if, hopefully, my tastebuds have changed.

They do not.

So it could be the same way with the anti-boiled peanut crowd. It could be you've had some bad boiled peanuts (if all I had was that disgusting thing out of a can, I'd never eat another boiled peanut).

It might be that you've had some cooked on the side of the road, but they're not the proper green peanut type.

But it could be that you bought from the right place, they cooked the right peanut, and you just don't like it. As the only guy in my family that dislikes coconut, I feel your pain, you anti-BPers!

(But if you haven't tried good boiled peanuts...give it a try. You might find you like it. Don't just eat one, either. Try several. Eat them hot. I like them cold myself sometimes--like these bloody mary boiled peanuts. But try different types. Then if you don't like it, you've given it the good college try.)
    Last edited by Catonahottinroof; 04-28-2020 at 04:49 PM.