Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: My trip to Pittsburgh

My trip to Pittsburgh

For a good reason, I think, I travelled to Pittsburgh. Call it my quota of one good deed a year. I had hoped to do the round trip in 3 days and would have made it but was stuck 5 hours from home in Gillette WY Saturday night, driven off the roads along with everyone else (truckers) by an Easter blizzard.

I had 80% alcohol in a spray bottle and soaked hands and trousers and sweatshirt after every pit stop. The big diesel has a 700 mile plus range so bathroom breaks are the only limit. I took my own food and drinks. Books on tape. Sirius.

So news I can bring? Lowest gas price? $.94 a gallon in Mason City IA — in my experience this ethanol capital has always, since the 1970s, been the lowest gas price on my routes east. Typical $1.18–$1.99; lower east higher west. Diesel twice the price!

That is because the truckers are working. 15 trucks to every car, higher in some states. Except Pittsburgh, who appeared to have no stay at home or distancing ethic. And a rush hour brewing when I got there Friday. Fearless in Pittsburgh!

Northern Cheyenne had barricaded the driveways off the two lane and had “no stopping” signs up along US 212. Small towns in Iowa closed but for the truck stop and the ethanol plant shift workers. But heartland farms looked prepared and open and ready for the spring.

A similarity of experiences at the Love’s and Pilots on my stops, in some states restaurants working, some were taped off and dark. Nobody questioned my gloves or spray bottle onto the restrooms, anywhere. Nobody at gas pumps. The semi pumps and parking lots were busy. The food items all looked as fresh as truck stop food ever does.

Illinois toll roads had signs, “do not stop at toll plazas, use EZPass or pay on line”. Ok, twist my arm. People, many people driving 120mph plus on the mostly empty Dan Ryan in Chicago. Roads are in worst repair in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Crumbling. Illinois has the worst drivers.

I’m self quarantining for a week. But millions of people are working in the trucking industry and related, every day. They aren’t front lines, but as any war, logistics and supply matter.

Re: My trip to Pittsburgh

Thanks for the update. Pitt needs to shut it down because Pennsylvania is not looking good.

Interesting stuff bigsky

Thanks for the report. And stay safe.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Roads are in worst repair in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Crumbling. Illinois has the worst drivers.

I will take that up with you when the virus mess is over, and you missed the goat paths in Michigan
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Primanti Brothers is open I believe. Maybe just carry out, but I’d make a plan to eat something from there if was back in the back in the ‘burgh.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Roads are in worst repair in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Crumbling. Illinois has the worst drivers.

I will take that up with you when the virus mess is over, and you missed the goat paths in Michigan
    Allow me to nominate northern Ohio roads to this competition. I'm familiar with bad Illinois roads going back 30 years on I64, but the worst overall roads I've ever been on mile for mile were in Youngstown Ohio.

Building roads out of concrete is a bad general idea, esp. when you put down salt often. Cheaper up front, but hard to maintain versus flexible asphalt.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Allow me to nominate northern Ohio roads to this competition. I'm familiar with bad Illinois roads going back 30 years on I64, but the worst overall roads I've ever been on mile for mile were in Youngstown Ohio.

Building roads out of concrete is a bad general idea, esp. when you put down salt often. Cheaper up front, but hard to maintain versus flexible asphalt.
    The Northern Ohio road engenders went to school under instructors from southern Michigan.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I miss Illinois drivers compared to the DMV. They're all terrible drivers here and complain about the traffic.