Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Turkeys have great eyesight, right??

Turkeys have great eyesight, right??

These 4 young toms came up over the small rise I was on this morning like I wasn't even there. Calling like crazy and no more than 15 ft away from me.Attachment 9311
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Re: Turkeys have great eyesight, right??

Movement is the big thing with turkeys, they really pick up on movement.

I'm not certain. They find other turkeys attractive.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Fab Five

15 years ago our neighborhood was filled with Wild Turkeys. Coyotes moved in and they are no more. Sad.
    Real Fan since 1958

The ones you saw are probably acclimated to the presence of humans and no longer fear their presence. We have a flock of them that visits our back yard on occasion and I can walk up to within 20 to 25 feet of them before they begin to walk away to maintain that distance.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I figured they just weren’t scared when they saw one of their own...

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    15 years ago our neighborhood was filled with Wild Turkeys. Coyotes moved in and they are no more. Sad.
    Coyotes are way overpopulated here. They have no natural predators, and are becoming less deterred by humans. My daughter looked out her kitchen window and saw one chasing one of her dogs, lots of reports by others in the area with the same experience. People with small house dogs need to be careful when letting their dogs out now, especially in the early AM or late PM hours.

Man, did I lob a softball for you guys!
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

A turkeys eyesight and hearing is unreal. They can pick up the slightest movement, but if you sit still they wont be alarmed at your presence most of the time. When my son was about 5 yrs old, I took him and my wife with me on a turkey hunt and we sat at the base of a big Hickory tree with no weeds or bushes at all around for cover. I called a huge Tom in and we watched him strut within 20 yds of us for at least 20 minutes. Looking back, it's hard to believe a 5 yr. old sat that still for that amount of time. Good memories.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    The ones you saw are probably acclimated to the presence of humans and no longer fear their presence. We have a flock of them that visits our back yard on occasion and I can walk up to within 20 to 25 feet of them before they begin to walk away to maintain that distance.
    Turkeys are way ahead of the curve with social distancing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I'm not certain. They find other turkeys attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I figured they just weren’t scared when they saw one of their own...
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Our neighborhood is filled with Wild Turkey.

Oh, wait. You mean the birds. Nevermind.

There are a few on the farm here. I have not seen a pack of them lately, but there was a big Tom in the backyard a couple dats ago and we sometimes hear one gobbling somewhere in the distance. This might seem strange, but sometimes hearing the “gobble, gobble, gobble” from the woods is neater than @ctualky seeing them

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Our neighborhood is filled with Wild Turkey.

Oh, wait. You mean the birds. Nevermind.
    Ironically it's sold next to the shotgun shells.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Ironically it's sold next to the shotgun shells.
    Somewhere, I have visual proof of that, as you know.