Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

So... How much sickness is spread from shaking hands?

I see where Dr. Fauci suggested that we never return to shaking hands again.

As I was singing On, On, U of K today for the umpteenth time washing my hands, I was actually wondering if I had washed my hands this thoroughly for years prior to this if I would have avoided certain colds and other illnesses over the years.

Let me State something for a fact. I may be able to reduce the number of times I touch my face, but I just can't see me ever eliminating that. It's not only a nervous habit, but my nose or chin itches, I rest my chin and whole face in my hands, I lean my head in to the palm of my hand, Etc. It just is not going to stop completely. So I wonder... would refraining from shaking hands, carrying hand sanitizer and using it after going into a public facility like a grocery store or the post office, Etc reduce other illnesses besides just Coronavirus?

Re: So... How much sickness is spread from shaking hands?

It would probably reduce illness. But it's also a psychologically important part of the human condition.

I've been on a few consults, and no hand shaking, but it doesn't feel right. We've been doing it since ancient Greek times. there's a reason it's stuck IMO.

I"m sure distancing of all kinds will help and I imagine for a while people will be a lot better about hand washing and such. And I can live with no handshakes, but I think it comes back b/c it's very comforting for most people. Not all, but for most.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

So... How much sickness is spread from shaking hands?

After this thing gets wrangled in and the country starts recovering there are going to be “new normal” ways of life. Some will be short term and some may become normal human behavior.

There are going to be a lot of issues such as shaking hands, grocery store, and shopping etiquette, and germ transfer issues that are going to be on peoples minds for some time, the question is how long and what does become “new normal”.

Going to be interesting to see what all changes after this event ends, I’d like to think the hand shake isn’t one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

If people expect me to start fist bumping they will be disappointed. I rarely get a cold or even the most common strain of the flu and I have been an enthusiastic hand shaker since I was a teenager.

I read a lot about the other persons make up during a hand shake and I do not intend to give up that perceived advantage. Besides that, I think it is an enjoyable social rite.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I'm with you Dan. You can tell a lot from how a person shakes your hand.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Mrs. BEvans and I were talking about this. It's going to feel weird sitting in church in close proximity to other people. It's going to feel super weird going to a movie, sporting event or amusement park. Body contact is something I'm going to have to work up to, and I'm a hand shaker by nature, so I don't know how that's going to go.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    If people expect me to start fist bumping they will be disappointed. I rarely get a cold or even the most common strain of the flu and I have been an enthusiastic hand shaker since I was a teenager.

I read a lot about the other persons make up during a hand shake and I do not intend to give up that perceived advantage. Besides that, I think it is an enjoyable social rite.
    I’m a middle school teacher, the fist bump is a major form of greeting.

I seriously doubt that shaking hands leads to many illnesses. Airborne contagions are much more likely to cause illnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I’m a middle school teacher, the fist bump is a major form of greeting.

I seriously doubt that shaking hands leads to many illnesses. Airborne contagions are much more likely to cause illnesses.
    We had fist bumps when I was in grade school as well, but it was generally my fist bumping your shoulder or your nose depending on the situation.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.