Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: My daughter, my hero, one of many today

My daughter, my hero, one of many today

Daughter just walked through the door. She got home early today, only 14+ hours after leaving for work.

Her sister, another nurse, sent her a headband thing they are using to relieve some of the pressure wearing masks for so many hours creates around the ears. She tried it on, tired, but thankful for that little thoughtful piece of equipment must don't think about as a slight bit of comfort.

She joked that they're giving her all the Covid-19 positive patients because she's young and healthy, and can tolerate it when - not if - she gets infected. At least, I think it's a joke. Seriously, those are the only patients she has, and nobody spends more time with them than she does. They are MICU patients, the most serious of all suffering from the disease. Not all of them will recover. Most will. It's tough to do what she does physically and mentally, and I'm not sure which is more difficult.

She's the one operating the life saving equipment, the ventilators that everybody knows and all the other that most of us have never heard about. No, she's not the doctor, but she is the one who monitors the patient, their tests, their vitals, and the little things that mean, well, everything. When they're not right, she knows. And the life preserving treatment continues.

She jokes that she has to get to work earlier these days, as they screen every hospital employee as they come in, and she needs to get through the screening, and to her patients as soon as possible.

They take her temperature. They check her vitals. They ask her screening questions, like are you coughing, have you had a fever, and others, including the most important one,

"Have you been exposed to someone with Covid-19 infection?"

She thinks, but doesn't respond, "It's my job. I'm exposed in the quarantine unit with them for a minimum of 13 hours a day. I put in their IVs, install medical equipment, clean them, care for them, and I'm next to them for long periods of time continuously. Of course I'm exposed. It's what I do."

I know she's careful. I know she's young, smart and healthy.

But I worry. And simultaneously burst with pride at what she does. She's my hero, and I pray for her health and safety daily.

I'm sick with what Covid-19 has done to the country, the economy, and my business, like most, will suffer from this. But all you have to do is to see this to know it's worth it for our healthy and safety.

We'll beat it. We're too good not to beat it. But we have to suffer a little right now to let other heroes beat it with research, and medicine and vaccines, and tests, and equipment to beat this damn virus - and allow the other heroes like my daughter to preserve the lives they can, as safely as possible, as humanely as possible, in the meantime.

Thanks to ALL the heroes out there. It's way beyond just the medical personnel. So many medical people, researchers, truck drivers, grocers, financial folks, and many, many more with their bravery to keep us nourished, supplied, and operating as a country.

So, so many we know about, and so, so many we don't. It's way beyond medicine. I'm sorry I can't name them all, but you know who you are, and know that I respect the heck out of what you do, and I am thankful for you.

But for today, I tip my hat, give thanks, admiration, respect, and my love and prayers to my own personal hero, my daughter. May God bless her, and keep her safe and out of harms way.

Forgive me for the language in the first picture. It isn't mine and I post it unaltered. My daughter with her "work twin" in the last one, at work (middle picture).

Re: My daughter, my hero, one of many today

She's definitely a hero, Darrell. A good nurse is worth his or her weight in gold, never moreso than during this crisis. I can't imagine what it must be like to go in every day having to go the extra mile for patients while knowing what she's doing is endangering herself. Heroism doesn't really do it justice. Just amazing.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

My daughter, my hero, one of many today

I wasn't going to say anything, but since today is World Health Day, I thought it was appropriate.

Many, many like her, but she's mine.

You and Mrs C raised a heck of a daughter sir. You might remember I spent a month and a half in ICU with pneumonia and the flu and even though they never proved it to me, they said I had MRSA as well.. I was not awake most of the time, but my wife sang the praises of the nurses that kept me alive and did what they needed to do to keep her sane. We stopped on our way out of town when I had been dismissed and had a few pizzas delivered to that team of nurses and did it again by phone a few weeks after my dismissal.

Even though she works at a different hospital and has never met me, please tell her I said thank you for doing what she does. I know what it means to be surrounded by those beeping, whirring, clicking, infernal, life saving machines and a crew of quiet, life saving nurses.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Amen Darrell. May our God bless and keep her, her sister, and their associates everywhere. And their precious parents for preparing them for it.

And all Gods people said amen.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

God bless her and all of you D.

I applaud her, but I also wish we could bottle whatever you've done as a parent with your kids and require it be given to everyone who has a child.

And please, for the love of all things funny, can we have a thread of all the great responses to her being asked if she's been exposed to anyone with the virus on a daily basis to get IN to the people with the virus?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Nurses are Angels walking amongst us. That I truly believe.

God bless and keep them safe Darrell.

With a badly needed day off yesterday, my daughter rested and I decided to show her this thread. She was extremely appreciative of your support, guys. Thank you all.

Rupp's Runt

And please tell her that she has a sister nurse in Orlando, FL whose Trauma ICU unit has been turned into a COVID-19 ward.
    I am worried for ALL of our healthcare workers.
    These are scary times.
    Thanks, CHINA! 😠 Bunch of nitwits! 😠