Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Re: Home defense shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    My plan is to make sure they have one in stock at either Lexington or Crescent Springs and then visit next week to handle it and then buy it if the feel is right for me. If that cant happen then I will order and have it shipped to Lex so I can play with it and keeping it or returning while I am at the store.
    Let me know how much you like it. I bought a Charles Daly 301 pump, but would sell it and buy the 601.

Home defense shotgun

Uh oh.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Uh oh.
    They didn’t stay in stock very long. When I clicked the link earlier it was available.

The Citadel is supposed to be a quay Rural King stores. https://www.rkguns.com/citadel-atac-...021-03-21+Gotw

Dang it
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I’ve seen some favorable reviews on the Hatfield SAS that is sold at Walmart stores. Prices range from $206 to $236, they come in 12, 20, 28 and .410. The Walmart in Morehead had one in 20 gauge and one in 28 gauge on the shelf Saturday so I had the wife pick up the 20 gauge for me. $216 plus tax. They didn’t have any ammo, unfortunately. What 20 gauge I have on hand is regular small game loads, so I’m going to try to locate some 1300fps stuff to break it in with.

The Hatfield semiauto is one of the Turkish imports. I thought I’d use it for clay pigeons. My daughter got my SIL one of the target throwers for his birthday, and I thought the 20 gauge would be easier on the shoulders for shooting the clay pigeons. If it works out well I may spring for the 28 gauge for the daughters and my wife to use.

We put a box of shells through the Hatfield SAS 20 gauge today. We were using 2 3/4” heavy field loads. The shells were at least 20 years old, and maybe as old as 34 years old. The only 20 gauge I’ve had is a single shot Winchester 37A I traded some scrap metal for back in 1987 and I don’t recall shooting it more than a few times.

Back on track. I was expecting some hiccups that are common to semiauto shotguns in the early going, but the little shotgun ran like a champ. The only issue I had was of my own fault in feeding shell into the magazine a couple of times I didn’t get the shells far enough into the magazine and the pushed out onto the lifter. This didn’t cause any issue with operation, it shot the chambered round and then loaded the round on the lifter. Ejection of spent rounds was strong, as it tossed the rounds out 12-15 feet.

Hatfields had issues with cracked forends, but that issue seems to have been resolved. For a $216 + tax semiautomatic shotgun, which is a comparable price to the low end pumps, the Hatfield performed surprisingly well. Obviously, at $216 the fit and finish isn’t the same as you would have on a $2000 Benelli, but if someone wants a functional shotgun at a budget price this is worth a look.

My wife took some shots at a few clays, and found the recoil very manageable. I would equate it to a single shot .410. She’s all in on getting a 28 gauge, which I think she should be able to get on the clays with a bit easier.

Home defense shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    We put a box of shells through the Hatfield SAS 20 gauge today. We were using 2 3/4” heavy field loads. The shells were at least 20 years old, and maybe as old as 34 years old. The only 20 gauge I’ve had is a single shot Winchester 37A I traded some scrap metal for back in 1987 and I don’t recall shooting it more than a few times.

Back on track. I was expecting some hiccups that are common to semiauto shotguns in the early going, but the little shotgun ran like a champ. The only issue I had was of my own fault in feeding shell into the magazine a couple of times I didn’t get the shells far enough into the magazine and the pushed out onto the lifter. This didn’t cause any issue with operation, it shot the chambered round and then loaded the round on the lifter. Ejection of spent rounds was strong, as it tossed the rounds out 12-15 feet.

Hatfields had issues with cracked forends, but that issue seems to have been resolved. For a $216 + tax semiautomatic shotgun, which is a comparable price to the low end pumps, the Hatfield performed surprisingly well. Obviously, at $216 the fit and finish isn’t the same as you would have on a $2000 Benelli, but if someone wants a functional shotgun at a budget price this is worth a look.

My wife took some shots at a few clays, and found the recoil very manageable. I would equate it to a single shot .410. She’s all in on getting a 28 gauge, which I think she should be able to get on the clays with a bit easier.
    Great report. Intrigued with this one.

Great report. Intrigued with this one.
    It’s not a bad looking shotgun. The exchange rate with Turkey has enabled the importers to sell the Turkish shotguns at bargain prices

50F55CCE-2D6E-4BD7-9937-A4E703BFE316.jpg

The local Wally world stores are following the "we will not sell firearms" policy that the mother ship adopted a few years ago. Any other outlets for the Hatfield brand of weapons?

Thx
    seeya
    dan

The local Wally world stores are following the "we will not sell firearms" policy that the mother ship adopted a few years ago. Any other outlets for the Hatfield brand of weapons?

Thx
    Not that I know of. You may be able to expand your Walmart coverage area and find them. They do have a dealer locator: https://hatfieldguncompany.com/dealer-locator/

The Citadel and Black Aces semiautos have been performing well. KyGunCo has the Citadel Warthog at less than $300 right now.

https://kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=153356
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 05-24-2021 at 04:17 PM.

The website says they have the Citadel Boss Hog in stock in Lexington for $299.99. https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...20in/p/1650022

It’s just like the Warthog, only it doesn’t have the pistol grip stock and has a blade sight.

Home defense shotgun

Charles Daly Honcho XL Tactical 12 gauge pump, Father's Day Sale, $249.99.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/char...ent=5655104172

It is now listed as out of stock.
    seeya
    dan

Home defense shotgun

Yeah, you can't sleep on those. Was available pretty late last night last I checked, though, so they must have had a decent inventory, given demand.

This sounds like a really good deal: https://www.rkguns.com/citadel-atac-...20-4-1-20.html

I’ve heard some good things about Legacy Sports, who markets Citadel, standing behind their firearms.

Have another really good deal (I know NOTHING about the shotgun). But the price....

$139.99. G-Force GFPG Pump-Action 12 Gauge Shotgun 4RD 20" Black - GFPG31220. Listed with PSA as a Clearance Daily Deal. Has a pistol grip that looks good.

I THINK it's a shotgun made in Turkey, but don't hold me to that.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/g-fo...nt=51655108899

Have another really good deal (I know NOTHING about the shotgun). But the price....

$139.99. G-Force GFPG Pump-Action 12 Gauge Shotgun 4RD 20" Black - GFPG31220. Listed with PSA as a Clearance Daily Deal. Has a pistol grip that looks good.

That is a really good deal. It is a Turkish made shotgun. All the Turkish pumps have the same basic design, no matter which factory they come from.

Here is a G-Force review I saw about a week ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryxCN1kIA64

Out of stock today.

Out of stock today.
    That was a really good price for them to last long. That was a savings of $100 or more, compared to other similar Turkish pumps. Here is an identical Citadel as comparison.

https://kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=152819

These fancy deals seem to mostly come up for the 12 ga. I can't find ones for the 20 ga.
    seeya
    dan

Home defense shotgun

These fancy deals seem to mostly come up for the 12 ga. I can't find ones for the 20 ga.
    I'm looking for them, Dan, but just haven't seen any myself.

I appreciate having a 2nd set of eyes
    seeya
    dan

It’s definitely a lot harder to find a 20 gauge with a shorter barrel.

https://store.borderssportinggoods.c...humbholeg23247

If you are looking for a semiautomatic there are a lot of offerings among the turkey hunting guns with a 24 inch barrel. Here’s an example: https://store.borderssportinggoods.c...-next-g-1-camo

The Mossberg SA-20 is a good option if you can find one. Mossbergs have been tough to locate for the last year.

This is way more than I want to spend, but if my budget were high enough, I would be all over this.

capacity 15 rounds
    Semi auto

A person could load this with buck shot and go to war

Buy now, as manufacturer is out of stock on this item.

Linkage
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 07-03-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    seeya
    dan

Chas Daly .20 ga semi auto Available at multiple locations in various states

Linkage
    seeya
    dan

This is way more than I want to spend, but if my budget were high enough, I would be all over this.

capacity 15 rounds
    Semi auto

A person could load this with buck shot and go to war

Buy now, as manufacturer is out of stock on this item.

Linkage
    I am leery of .410 semiautomatics. I can see them having issues cycling due to inconsistencies in loads.

Chas Daly .20 ga semi auto Available at multiple locations in various states

Linkage
    Looks like a pretty good buy. 20 gauge in a semiautomatic is fairly light recoil.

Here’s a nice video comparing the .410 Hornady Critical Defense and Winchester PDX1 personal defense loads. The ballistics gel approximates soft body tissue, so this gives an idea how each would do on a center mass shot for defense. This guy is using the shorter polymer frame version of the Taurus Judge. The longer barrel on the original Judge, the Shockwave or the longer 18-26 inch shotgun barrels will have more velocity exiting the barrel.