Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Is This The New Normal?

Think of the new normal after 911. Here domestically it deeply affected our way of life in the entire US after attacks in three different locations.

The virus domestically has affected every city and every state. What hill happen when we finally get past C-19, and the next virus comes along?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Is This The New Normal?

Nah, just temporary. Humans are far too wired to social behavior and tribalism for this to hold.

This is the 100 year flood, and just like how every 100 years the Florida Keys or New Orleans or wherever gets hammered, people don't up and leave. They actually rather quickly rebuild and go back to doing things the same way.

Almost none alive remember the last one of these, the Spanish Flu. We'll have some nasty strains here and there, but no this isn't the new normal any more than 1918 was the new normal.

These things happen. We recover and forget, and then wonder why we weren't more prepared the next time.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Is This The New Normal?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Nah, just temporary. Humans are far too wired to social behavior and tribalism for this to hold.

This is the 100 year flood, and just like how every 100 years the Florida Keys or New Orleans or wherever gets hammered, people don't up and leave. They actually rather quickly rebuild and go back to doing things the same way.

Almost none alive remember the last one of these, the Spanish Flu. We'll have some nasty strains here and there, but no this isn't the new normal any more than 1918 was the new normal.

These things happen. We recover and forget, and then wonder why we weren't more prepared the next time.
    Yup, this.

We may not go back to 100,000 in Bryant Denny Stadium right away, but it will resume.

Not for me. When they furl the red flag I will venture forth. I suspect I will start off slowly, but it will not take me long to be back to the "old normal".
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Not for me. When they furl the red flag I will venture forth. I suspect I will start off slowly, but it will not take me long to be back to the "old normal".
    If people are cooped up as much as we may be for the months ahead, once it's given the OK it won't take a week until you can't find a table at a restaurant or bar, for the ones that can reopen.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    If people are cooped up as much as we may be for the months ahead, once it's given the OK it won't take a week until you can't find a table at a restaurant or bar, for the ones that can reopen.
    Agree 100%

Is This The New Normal?

I don’t think the new normal will be at what we’re seeing now with quarantines, mandatory shut downs, and social distancing. Obviously those businesses that can afford to weather this period, will come back.

Moving forward, when the next new virus pops up, and if history repeats itself, it will. Will there be a knee jerk reaction? Will people start freaking out again, and shutting everything down, runs on TP, and other supplies, shut down mass gathering events, school cancellations, closing borders, and travel bans, which ultimately will lead to another financial bust?

The other thing, this event has highlighted is all kinds of deficiencies in needed supplies in medical equipment, medical supplies, and the logistics to supply them to where they’re needed most. So doing what we do, we’ll more than likely create mass stockpiles of all of the items that we’ve had shortages of. What about the lack of hospital rooms? Will we build hospitals that will sit dormant until needed?

If we do stock pile all that was needed, will the next big virus require the same equipment and supplies to combat the treatment and spread?

After 911 and the crisis of the actual event subsided we began making changes, Those changes became the new normal that we’ve transitioned to, and now pretty much go unnoticed as it has been in place for nearly 20 years. What’s this thing going to look like after the initial crises of the event subsides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

It also highlights the extreme danger of a biological attack from those rogue nations with little to lose.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    It also highlights the extreme danger of a biological attack from those rogue nations with little to lose.
    "IF" that was what this was, and that would not surprise me in the least, then we should do everything conceivable to break that nation's government of their economic ability to do that ever again.
    Do everything possible short of having to wage actual physical war against them. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    "IF" that was what this was, and that would not surprise me in the least, then we should do everything conceivable to break that nation's government of their economic ability to do that ever again.
    Do everything possible short of having to wage actual physical war against them. JMHO.
    True. But I wasn't really suggesting that, as Pedro has pointed out how ineffective covid19 would be weaponized. And how much it resembles other animal to human transmitted diseases
    Last edited by kingcat; 04-04-2020 at 03:54 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

We got this thing bc of crazy people who eat stuff no human should eat, at least that's the early indication.

All of these viruses have come from China, a place that specializes in cuisine and hygiene more suited to a MTV show.

Which is why they are in PR overdrive trying to sound like a savior when they are the national "patient zero" for the last two decades of global disease.

If we do stock pile all that was needed, will the next big virus require the same equipment and supplies to combat the treatment and spread?
    I think toilet paper, paper towels, spam, vegetable beef soup, chicken noodle soup, tomato soup, white and brown rice, aspirin, tylenol, anti acid, tamiflu, and bottle water would all be good investments. IMO, those are generic pandemic stocks that fit any situation. If you are expecting radioactive fall out, then stock up on 50 pounds of potassium iodide and a couple dozen air filters for the HVAC
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

..and almond kisses.

I've got guns and ammo. You can convert those into anything else you may need.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I think toilet paper, paper towels, spam, vegetable beef soup, chicken noodle soup, tomato soup, white and brown rice, aspirin, tylenol, anti acid, tamiflu, and bottle water would all be good investments. IMO, those are generic pandemic stocks that fit any situation. If you are expecting radioactive fall out, then stock up on 50 pounds of potassium iodide and a couple dozen air filters for the HVAC
    A lot of that stuff will have expiration dates, including the water. Just remember to rotate your stock.