Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

View Poll Results: Do you wear a mask when you go out?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 35.71%
  • No

9 64.29%
  • No, but if I had one I would wear it

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you wear a mask when you go out?

It seems the more I read about wearing masks when going out, the better an idea it seems. There was a brief window in early March when N95 masks were still available at Home Depot, and I chose not to get them. I wish I had.

Our daughter found 3 basic masks made out of a plasticky foam material and gave Mrs. BEvans and me one each--it looks something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 1.33.12 PM.jpg

I do wear it when I go out. I figure if nothing else it will keep my hands from going up around my face, and if I'm carrying but asymptomatic it will help prevent me from unknowingly spreading it.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 03-31-2020 at 12:36 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: Do you wear a mask when you go out?

I don’t have one so no. But it’s obvious to me the reason they told people not to buy them was to save them for health professionals. And I’m good with that.
    I’ve only been out twice in a few weeks to the store. So I figure they need them worse than me.
    Would they help? Of course. When you see China, South Korea, Singapore etc wear them everywhere you know they help. Those countries know a little something about these viruses.

People been after me to wear one even before this thing hit.
    Cruel, cruel people.

I say Mom, I've always looked like this. She say's I know.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Unofficial word from within the White House is that this thing can live in the air for 9 days. Scuttlebutt from within the campus and not from any press briefing.

I do. It seems to help with social distancing lol
    Attachment 9283

People seem to think I have the swine flu and they do not seem to care.

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    Unofficial word from within the White House is that this thing can live in the air for 9 days. Scuttlebutt from within the campus and not from any press briefing.
    FYI "Live in air" is similar but not the same as remain contagious enough in air/on surfaces/etc. to infect a normal human. There is a lot of nuance to these kinds of discussions, which is not something the current administration handles well. So far there is very little evidence (and a decent amount against) anything more than very limited airborne transmission. On the other hand, there is a LOT of evidence supporting aerosolized transmission (meaning liquid droplet transmission). The difference between aerosolized and airborne are minor to most layman but require totally different kinds of PPE.

I currently do not wear a mask at this time. I have the option at work to get fitted for a N95 mask and might do so.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 03-31-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    FYI "Live in air" is similar but not the same as remain contagious enough in air/on surfaces/etc. to infect a normal human. There is a lot of nuance to these kinds of discussions, which is not something the current administration handles well. So far there is very little evidence (and a decent amount against) anything more than very limited airborne transmission. On the other hand, there is a LOT of evidence supporting aerosolized transmission (meaning liquid droplet transmission). The difference between aerosolized and airborne are minor to most layman but require totally different kinds of PPE.

I currently do not wear a mask at this time. I have the option at work to get fitted for a N95 mask and might do so.
    I do not wear a mask either.

Appreciate the info you bring on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
    I do not wear a mask either.

Appreciate the info you bring on this subject.
    As we all do. Thanks Pedro.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

A friend bought some cute ones online back at the first inklings of this. They're cloth and I do wear it.

I sterilize it with an ozone machine. We have one for use on cars. Ozone kills the organic material that causes odors, and it does a super job on smoke smells in cars. Doesn't mask them, it actually destroys organic material.

Anyway, ozone also kills SARS-Covid, so at night I'm sterilizing masks (and the checks and money that come in) with it. Only hitch is it destroys many rubbers (organic based) and even pen ink believe it or not. But the cloth mask is OK with it. First regular mask I put in with rubber bands it dissolved the bands like they were dry rotted. Made me feel like it was working though.

I have no idea if it really helps or not, but it sure as heck won't hurt, and as already mentioned the entire Asian continent clearly disagrees that it's useless.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 03-31-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    As we all do. Thanks Pedro.
    Yep. Pedro you're contributions here are always insightful, but I think you've moved up to invaluable.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I have two N95 masks that were work related. One for Donna and one for me. We haven't used them yet but I am trying to get her to start wearing one to the grocery when she goes.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I have two masks that were work related. One for Donna and one for me. We haven't used them yet but I am trying to get her to start wearing one to the grocery when she goes.
    If you do can you talk to my mother?

Today I just finally said, after discussing that she had her masks, "I don't want to argue any more. Just wear the damned mask." She actually said she would, which is stunning. Most hard headed woman alive. Wonderful, but hard headed.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post

Today I just finally said, after discussing that she had her masks, "I don't want to argue any more. Just wear the damned mask." She actually said she would, which is stunning. Most hard headed woman alive. Wonderful, but hard headed.
    SON!

Yep. I think I shared this but I had my mom and stepdad over for dinner about 4 weeks ago. And my entire purpose was to tell them this would be the last time we would see them for some time. I made them commit to not leaving their house for anything (including her work). I told them we would help with bills, bring groceries, etc (which we have of course). My stepdad is a die hard Fox News Republican so I had the Tucker Carlson video queued up and played it for him (this was a day after it happened) and it worked.

It can be difficult convincing people who have been through wars, polio, cuban missile crisis etc to be told they can't go to the store. But we all must do that now.
    ~Puma~

That video was brilliant.

My mother is afraid of nothing and no one. I wont' go into the whole backstory, but suffice to say she's tough. I've never seen her even hint of backing down to anyone, including people who have threatened her life (and who have the criminal record you should take it seriously).

She's also the most capable, never quit 79 year old you'll ever meet. Works every day, does her yard work, you name it. I offer, she takes me up on very little.

So she sees herself as not really in the high risk group b/c that's "old people and people who are sick all the time, I'm fine." lol.

But she did promise to wear her mask to the store. I can't keep her out of it, but I can keep her masked I hope. Still working on the gloves.

U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

The only reason they don't recommend them is that we don't have enough. That's been obvious from the outset IMO, even in his statements.

We haven’t worn masks out yet, but it certainly is worth considering. My wife has all the materials to make cloth surgical masks and the plans are to make some in the next few days.

At some point Nike/Adidas/etc are going to start making & marketing team masks. UK, Reds, etc. When that happens you'll know it's a thing.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 04-01-2020 at 08:14 AM.

The only reason they don't recommend them is that we don't have enough. That's been obvious from the outset IMO, even in his statements.
    Yep. Very.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    At some point Nike/Adidas/etc are going to start making & marketing team masks. UK, Reds, etc. When that happens youll know it's a thing.
    I’m in on that. I will buy a UK mask tomorrow if they have them.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    At some point Nike/Adidas/etc are going to start making & marketing team masks. UK, Reds, etc. When that happens youll know it's a thing.
    Given the stay at home thing, will they switch to "Just Don't Do It"?

Hoping we're not in this so long we start getting product development and branding around it, but it's probably going to happen

I occasionally wear a mask at work but it has nothing to do with this virus

Last edited by Doc; 04-01-2020 at 07:01 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Personally, when I am outside I prefer to breathe fresh, clean air. IMO that is far healthier than rebreathing your own air. Air turnover is the important aspect. Its a bit like getting pregnant. It only takes one but if there is only one present, odds are not good. Air turnover decreases virus particles in the air which is why being outdoors is actually a good thing. That is different than being inside couped up with a low number of people, or even being outdoors in a crowded situation. I would take outdoor with space anytime.

We are spending lots of time at the park, or doing yard work, etc.... anything to get outside but not in a crowd.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

^Is it wrong that I actually laughed out loud at that pic?

That there was funny, Doc.
    I don't care who you are...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Tweet from Czech Prime Minister:

419EC001-FC14-4045-8792-F8D404D7456B.jpg

So has anybody changed their practice on this?

A week ago when I went to the store I was about the only person wearing a mask. Maybe 1-2 others.

Yesterday I went to Costco and Trader Joes.* I'd say about 1/3 of the customers were wearing masks and about 2/3 of the staff. So there seems to have been a change among many.

DW is sewing masks tonight. I think she was kind of bored and wanted to do something "artsy-craftsy" and saw an article on how you can sew your own masks, so she's doing that.

Here's an "article" (a rolled up tweet thread) by an ER doc on the pros and cons of mask wearing, and how how to wear it properly:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...488309250.html

*--BTW, both Costco and TJs were limiting the # of customers and making people wait once they reached their limit. I like that. If the store's jam-packed there's no way to properly distance in the aisles. Even with limiting numbers it can get cramped in certain areas.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 04-05-2020 at 08:19 PM.