Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How much is everyone shut down?

Daughter's workplace. IMG_20200318_190942_01.jpg

Re: How much is everyone shut down?

I’m thankful I still have a job to go to but probably not as thankful as Mrs. Catfan73 lol.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

The company I work for has been very accommodating to the folks that wish to work from home. Their cleaning and sanitizing protocols are I will say exemplary. I chose to continue to go into work for a couple of reasons.
    One, it would shortchange our customers; I have access to some stuff that is on a hard-copy and would take forever to scan it so it is available digitally.
    Two, it gives folks a sense of calm to know that there is someone "there" to talk to them and in these times I feel a little bit of a sense of responsibility to the folks that I have dealt with for 21 years now.

And also, now that Grammy is retired she likes to sleep late sometime and some of the customers I deal with can get kind of loud and vulgar; that would not go over too well.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    They are. The thought is to provide a source of income for those displaced like servers, etc. But also I’m sure to have enough labor on hand to cover operations in the coming weeks. Right now the problem is having enough UPS drivers to get stuff to Worldport.
    Any truth to Amazon going to delivering essential supplies only?

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I work in management at an Amazon facility. Most of the senior ops are working from home but I’m more of a “hands on” manager so I have to be here. We’re trying to stay open to help keep the supply chain open. I’ve seen where some people are claiming that Amazon is forcing employees to work but nothing could be further from the truth, encouraging employees to stay home if they feel ill with no repercussions and even paying those that can an extra $2 per hour for time worked.
    😒

@thehill: Amazon warehouse closes after first worker tests positive for coronavirus http://hill.cm/pjFRLiU https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...317760/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Any truth to Amazon going to delivering essential supplies only?

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk
    We pretty much already have. Try ordering a pair of shoes.

Automotive North America is officially shutting down... the American boys lead the way, with the overseas boys following up with their announcements today.

Can’t really call them “the big 3” anymore, but Ford, GM, and FCA are down until 3/30, at least and then reevaluate.

“The bigger 3” Toyota, Nissan, and Honda are starting shut downs tomorrow through 4/6. Toyota was closing for a few days for a “deep cleaning” but I imagine that’ll turn in to the same as the other two.

No word on Subaru yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Bombino

No surprise that Washington state is pretty shut down. Pretty much similar quarantine measures to the rest of the country.

I continue to have to go into work since my company makes clinical diagnostic assays. Since I work in a lab designed to handle infectious materials, this is actually a pretty safe place to be. That being said, even here, most non-essential personnel are working from home.

There goes Subaru and BMW (NAmerica)

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Shutting down plants may not be as dire as it may seem. Most automotive plants shut down for two weeks a year for model change over or plant maintenance. I the most positive case it may mean that dates for maintenance are being swapped. Most likely case is it is in response to a temporary change in demand. I hope for all affected, the shutdowns are related to one of these two cases.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Shutting down plants may not be as dire as it may seem. Most automotive plants shut down for two weeks a year for model change over or plant maintenance. I the most positive case it may mean that dates for maintenance are being swapped. Most likely case is it is in response to a temporary change in demand. I hope for all affected, the shutdowns are related to one of these two cases.
    Automotive plants shut down twice a year for PM’s, model change/retooling etc. The last two weeks of the year, and two weeks around the 4th of July holiday. Those shut downs are well planned in advance, with all of the contractors, maintenance crews, suppliers etc. in place with a well orchestrated schedule with specific plans to accomplish they’re goals in what is a very short period of time.

This virus thing has blown up so quickly, and while they’ll obviously use the time to run some PM’s, I think mostly they’ll be concentrating more on house keeping tasks to ensure they’ve mitigated the chance of virus spread. It should also be noted that the end of the month marks the end of the first quarter and it hasn’t been that long ago since the end of the year shut down, only half way to the scheduled shut down in July.

Something else to consider, is car sales, and marketing schemes are centered around those shut down periods as well. I’m guessing with this virus thing there aren’t a lot of folks out buying cars, then throw in the fact we’re getting close to tax day. The timing and abruptness of this shut down couldn’t be worse, and the rebound period could be longer than the twice a year scheduled closures. At the end of the day the orders will be way down whenever they actually do start back up, which equates to “sluggish” start up.

It is my hope that this shut down will supersede the July 4th shut down and the rebound is quick....

The last time something comparable to this happened was the 2008 bust, followed by the Fukushima disaster. When the smoke cleared there were a lot of automotive suppliers that didn’t make it. That thing lasted a whole lot longer than I hope this one lasts.

Side note, there is talk that Ford, GM, and Tesla may throw in tooling to whip out some ventilators... I don’t believe anything like has happened since WWII....

Cars are not and will not be moving quickly so there will be a huge surplus of inventory which would cause a layoff sooner or later.

Fab Five

I lived with automotive shutdowns for 25 years. Plants are flexible in managing their production runs. They don’t necessarily have to do a model changeover in the calendar year. It isn’t dire circumstances unless the shutdowns run more than a month.

The Plants will beat up their suppliers to offset any losses.
    Real Fan since 1958

I’m in my 22nd year. I hope your right, but in the mean time I may have unenviable task of laying off two shifts of hourly employees ... I do have about a weeks worth of inventory on the floor, and my customer base probably has the same. That’ll keep me limping for a couple of weeks and with any luck the virus spread graph will flatten out , and everybody gets back to work.

Good news, they’re supposedly going to be able to pull unemployment pretty quickly.

Bad news, the rickety state of the labor pool, I’ll probably lose employees that’ll disappear and then I get to jump through those hoops all over again.

I’m getting too old for this sh17... I was hoping for a nice smooth ride for the next four years...

Last edited by blueboss; 03-19-2020 at 09:00 PM.

I am pretty sure to hear tomorrow what kind of timeframe we will be shut down, figuring on 2 week minimum.

Our California brothers just got much more shut down tonight.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Glad I got my hair cut on Monday. They shut down hair salons on Wednesday along with a lot of other services in Kentucky.

The son who was scheduled to fly to Japan next Wednesday got a call late last night from the company he'll be working for. They very nicely encouraged him to move his flight up if he could do it, probably because of the ever-increasing restrictions being placed on travel and businesses. So we worked the phones late last night changing his travel arrangements to this Sunday from Wednesday.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Friend of mine sent this from their flight back from Vegas yesterday.

Effective tonight...ALL bars and restaurants in the entire state of FL closed except for takeout/delivery. Plan on spending mynlast Friday night with any entertainment at one of the many locam watering holes
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post

Friend of mine sent this from their flight back from Vegas yesterday.

What is there to do in Vegas????
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    She went before they shut everything down. They shut it down on her third day.

Shut the plant down today and I start working from home, 1 week but I believe it will be longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post