Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Recently shutdown Federal Office that may have helped avert the crisis

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Recently shutdown Federal Office that may have helped avert the crisis

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...96f_story.html

Here is an article from the Washington Post. An op ed written by the former director of our now defunct national pandemic office.

Hindsight is 20/20. But it should be noted that good government is not going to be run like a business--with profit margin as the bottom line.

That is not to say government at any level is the complete answer. But a government run by people that care and have vision to plan for contingencies for the common good are to be supported.

Re: Recently shutdown Federal Office that may have helped avert the crisis

WaPo is not credible.

First, I don't think there's any way any agency could avert the crisis. It was coming, regardless.

Perhaps it could've mitigated the effect (or #flattenthecurve, as the kids say these days), but that's speculative at this point. And I say that as someone who's definitely not MAGA.

I also question anyone who wants to start seeking recriminations at this point. There will be plenty of time for that in the future, and I can promise you a Democratic House will pursue it relentlessly.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 03-16-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Here is a rebuttal concerning the office. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ge%2Fstory-ans

What publications are credible sources? Is it only Fox news?

I'd love to know. Please note I shared an opinion piece that is clearly marked opinion. What are credible sources? If it is an old man that proclaims he "has the best words" I will respectfully disagree with what constitutes a credible source.

I think Economist, and the Wall Street Journal are pretty reliable. WaPo and NYT are too busy playing politics to be journalists. I read the Atlantic knowing it is acknowledged left—used to be more balanced. But WaPo is A pathetic insider DC rag.

We are 23 trillion dollars in debt. So not only this office should have been cut but HUD, and Education and a bumch of bases closed and the annual budget balanced. Sure and some caps lifted on Payroll taxes. Back when the gettin was good we ahould have put in a sustainable sized government.

Unforgettable

Love the Economist and Wall Street Journal. The Atlantic is good too. Post is my local paper. Look for bias (and I certainly have one) but also look for what facts are and see what those fact mean.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    I think Economist, and the Wall Street Journal are pretty reliable. WaPo and NYT are too busy playing politics to be journalists. I read the Atlantic knowing it is acknowledged left—used to be more balanced. But WaPo is A pathetic insider DC rag.

Well common sense tells me, “if we only had a couple dozen more bureaucrats” is just more inside the beltway nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Well common sense tells me, “if we only had a couple dozen more bureaucrats” is just more inside the beltway nonsense.
    This.

We have the CDC, and Congress was funding them to do studies on gun violence and about 50 other things that have nothing to do with diseases, as if that's any part of their mission. Those names all sound good, but the realities of their actions are usually far different.

The only "agency" in most any government that is really ready for an outside the box event is the military, and they're far from able to be at constant readiness.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Wife works for the Federal Gov't (as most know). Open for business as usual. She is now in National Security so her schedule is more "relaxed" than when she was in the Dept of Justice (also still fully functional) and working on trial cases.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Wife just texted me...one of the assistant district attorneys may be a positive test. Means she would need to self quarantine, and poss me too. I will stop on the way home and get a couple cases of beer and wine.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Unforgettable

Hopefully the bare essentials will be at the store. In all seriousness hope you, your wife and the attorney are all healthy and stay that way.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Wife just texted me...one of the assistant district attorneys may be a positive test. Means she would need to self quarantine, and poss me too. I will stop on the way home and get a couple cases of beer and wine.
    Stay healthy Doc.

A look at confirmed cases in Kentucky and neighboring states per 10,000 people:

Capture 3-19-20.jpg

Apparently Kentucky has also tested more people/10,000 than every other neighboring state except Illinois so it's probably not underreporting.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 03-19-2020 at 08:31 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

And a tweet thread by a Kentuckian who's an economist living in Hong Kong on why he thinks Kentucky has been able to flatten the curve so far:

https://twitter.com/lymanstoneky/sta...25832445407237

He's also an interesting follow because he's been in Hong Kong while all this has been happening, and also there for the Hong Kong protests last year.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 03-19-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Kentucky has done a very good job, getting out in front of this. That's why it's outrageous Florida has a square foot of open beach.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

That is coming to a quick stop though. The governor hasn’t mandated it yet, but local governments are.
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Kentucky has done a very good job, getting out in front of this. That's why it's outrageous Florida has a square foot of open beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    That is coming to a quick stop though. The governor hasn’t mandated it yet, but local governments are.
    The fact that he hasn't IMO is a complete outrage.

I give Beshear credit. When a bingo parlor defied the shutdown orders he called them out directly on TV and then revoked gaming licenses to shut it all down for sure. No messing around.

Every business and person in this country is struggling. For these dumbass kids to go down there and be points of spreading the disease and for Florida to allow it, presumably b/c they're stupid or greedy, is grossly unfair to every other state in this union that is trying to do what must be done.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    Stay healthy Doc.
    wife home for some period on time.....who knows til when. We are calling it a paid vacation without using vacation time.
    Last edited by Doc; 03-19-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Florida gov wilts to mounting pressure to close beaches.

https://freebeacon.com/issues/the-pa...-spring-break/

About damned time. California just shut down the state with stay at home order. backassward kentucky has already closed anything with groups for more than a week, and Florida let a bunch of dumbass drunk college kids party for most of spring break.

What's wrong with this picture?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    About damned time. California just shut down the state with stay at home order. backassward kentucky has already closed anything with groups for more than a week, and Florida let a bunch of dumbass drunk college kids party for most of spring break.

What's wrong with this picture?
    Hey, there is no evidence than any virus of any type has ever been transmitted during spring break in FL............