Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Trumps Address

Trumps Address

Well done.
    ~Puma~

Re: Trumps Address

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    Well done.
    Finally! He was on point and calling for bipartisanship.

The wolf is at the door and is not a picky eater.
    Last edited by kingcat; 03-11-2020 at 08:22 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Euro travel ban is being interpreted as a trade moratorium. That is an economy killer. NO ONE can say he is prioritizing Wall Street over the dealing with the pandemic now, or not accurately anyway.

Don’t downplay Tucker Carlsons influence in this. And I’m serious.
    I read he was at Maro Lago also.
    Trump listened to someone and did a great job tonight.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

The tucker Carlson speech was really good. Admonishing but used a tone that trump honestly didn’t get the criticism.

Let’s fix this.

Well done.
    Haven't seen it but if you like it then I'll take it on faith he did a good job.

I'm glad.

I have no doubt it's serious. I'm making contingency plans for a 2 week, 30 day, 90 day and rest of the year impact and have been for over a month.

I'm surprised if he went in the direction of Churchill/FDR/Reagan, but sure hope he does.

But striking that balance with panic and overreaction is difficult. As you pointed out, people are hoarding water. Was just at Kroger, the toilet paper is wiped out. No kidding. Other things like pasta are in shorter supply, some obvious gaps in shelves like soup being picked over hard, but toilet paper aisle looks like a bomb went off.

We need to find a way to be like the Brits in the blitz. Stores with no roofs opened and people still went to shows, etc. They didn't just live in shelters. We need our version of that response, where we maybe temporarily stop shaking hands, practice the right hygiene but still have a life.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Don’t downplay Tucker Carlsons influence in this. And I’m serious.
    I read he was at Maro Lago also.
    Trump listened to someone and did a great job tonight.
    I think a lot of Tucker Carlson. He sees the corruption of Washington, the duplicity of politics, and doesn't care for it. He's not a a shill like Hannity or Rush.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I think a lot of Tucker Carlson. He sees the corruption of Washington, the duplicity of politics, and doesn't care for it. He's not a a shill like Hannity or Rush.
    But he has an annoying pseudolaugh
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Not everyone seems to think the speech was received. I linked an article from the Washington Post about his performance.

I separated it to try and ensure a civil discourse in this thread.

We need calm and sound leadership. Everyone now is taking this seriously. Italy is like medieval city state right now in how that country is dealing with the issue.

Be safe and God bless all here and those you love and know and even those you might hate.

Just an fyi...I disagreed with much of his speech. The bar is very low right now. I was just very thankful that he finally pivoted and started taking this seriously. Because he did, millions of Americans who otherwise were not will as well.

It was too late, but I will take it.
    ~Puma~

My expectations were low too. But he explained the seriousness of the situation and approached things in a bipartisan manor. That’s all he could do and he did it.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    My expectations were low too. But he explained the seriousness of the situation and approached things in a bipartisan manor. That’s all he could do and he did it.
    Yep. My thoughts also.
    ~Puma~

I find it interesting, and perhaps unrelated, but prior to his speech I maintained that his efforts to preach calm and reasonable response was the correct approach. He than gives a speech that many who criticized that prior approach applauded. Now we have cancellations of professional sports en mass, colleges closed, restrictions on groups as small as 250 people, etc... Hell, yesterday I had to sit thru a teleconference with a group of veterinarians telling us how to clean our offices. Was a lovely segment on the news about toilet paper shortages! In esseence we have gone from a nation that was concerned but reasonable to the opening episode of "The Last Ship". Congratulations, the left got what they wanted...panic. Don't let a crisis go to waste. Perhaps it will lead to a financial breakdown which leads to a crazy Joe win because that is ALL that matters

Now, off to work so I can autoclave my phones and computers before we open.
    Last edited by Doc; 03-13-2020 at 06:33 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

It isn’t panic. It is people taking this serious finally. And it should have happened two weeks ago.
    We are going to find that this thing has already spread far more than we think. And a lot of people are likely to die.
    Preparedness is not panic. Going to the store to buy a couple of weeks of supplies is not panic. It’s unsettling. But it isn’t panic.

For weeks, many of us have known this was far more serious than many were acting. He wasn’t preaching “calm and reasonable”. He was lying.
    He was saying we have it shut down when we didn’t. He was saying the numbers were going down when they weren’t. He was saying it’s basically the same as the flu when it’s not.
    And then all the sudden he completely changes course because he finally realizes the gravity of the situation. When you then go on tv in a completely different tone and shut down all travel to Europe. Well, that causes complete and total distrust.
    Honesty and calm are not mutually exclusive. Other leaders have been able to do both. He lied and then didn’t. And no one trusts what he says. So yes, the market panicked.
    And give me a break, that guy wasn’t preaching calm. He was trying to save his job and was in denial. People in the admin are starting to talk. More will. And defending him now is not going to be a good look in a couple of weeks. This is an unmitigated disaster.
    I could care less about Joe Biden getting elected in November. I just want my mom to live to November.

I have to chuckle that Trump did not take it seriously. When should it have been addressed? Well the first reports of it come in November of last year. Congress could very well have addressed it as well. However the House was focused on other more pressing issues. Forget about protecting the nation, impeachment was a much more pressing issue. We have 3 branches and congress could have just as easily address but they too dropped the ball because their agenda was not about protecting the nation but rather ousting the President. All those test we don't have. Congress could have addressed that, steamlined the approval process but impeachment was #1 and #2 and #3 on their priority list of things to do.

Second, where is Obama in all this? He wants to take credit for the booming economy. But now we have a HUGE dependence on China for medical supplies. Much of the shift occurred under his presidency. Not to be partisan because the shift also occurred under Bush, etc....

Third, I find it ironic that the party that is fine with homeless Sh##ing on the streets and used needles laying around in public in cities like San Fran and LA are suddenly worried about a virus! Poop and used needles are OK. Typhus and bubonic plague are not seen as issue in CA yet suddenly this virus is the thing that awakens people. Add that last year almost 300 homeless people died in San Francisco (ONE city) which is more than have died in the entire nation from COVID-19 (40). Yet the Presidents response have been inadequate? Seriously? We are fine with 300 homeless dead in San Fran but 15 in the entire country warrants closing down colleges?

Yes, it is a panic. It is exactly what the left wanted. Prior to the panic people were taking it seriously. Now we are hording toilet paper, hiding in our homes, closing down colleges and eliminating sporting events.
    Last edited by Doc; 03-13-2020 at 10:59 AM.

I should add that I too want your mother to be alive in November...and beyond. I wish that for my father as well. Its the reason we told him that at 76 years of age he needed to stop with the travel to countries that spoke no English (this after he ended up in a hospital in some back water area of Thialand last year). We informed him that at his age and medical conditions that he needed to take precautions and use common sense about his health. That involved taking care of his heart (had a heart attack at age 42, had valves and triple bypass at 74) and other issues (atrial fib,
    krons dz). We are now asking him and my mother to avoid large crowds, keep stress and travel to minimum (this for a couple who in essence travel 4 months a year). Wisely they are doing exactly as we asked to minimize their threat of exposure to COVID-19. In my opinion that is the correct approach. Fortunately they have not seclude themselves in a bunker with 2 years of supplies in anticipation of the apocalypse
    Last edited by Doc; 03-13-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I have to chuckle that Trump did not take it seriously. When should it have been addressed? Well the first reports of it come in November of last year. Congress could very well have addressed it as well. However the House was focused on other more pressing issues. Forget about protecting the nation, impeachment was a much more pressing issue. We have 3 branches and congress could have just as easily address but they too dropped the ball because their agenda was not about protecting the nation but rather ousting the President. All those test we don't have. Congress could have addressed that, steamlined the approval process but impeachment was #1 and #2 and #3 on their priority list of things to do.

Second, where is Obama in all this? He wants to take credit for the booming economy. But now we have a HUGE dependence on China for medical supplies. Much of the shift occurred under his presidency. Not to be partisan because the shift also occurred under Bush, etc....

Third, I find it ironic that the party that is fine with homeless Sh##ing on the streets and used needles laying around in public in cities like San Fran and LA are suddenly worried about a virus! Poop and used needles are OK. Typhus and bubonic plague are not seen as issue in CA yet suddenly this virus is the thing that awakens people. Add that last year almost 300 homeless people died in San Francisco (ONE city) which is more than have died in the entire nation from COVID-19 (40). Yet the Presidents response have been inadequate? Seriously? We are fine with 300 homeless dead in San Fran but 15 in the entire country warrants closing down colleges?

Yes, it is a panic. It is exactly what the left wanted. Prior to the panic people were taking it seriously. Now we are hording toilet paper, hiding in our homes, closing down colleges and eliminating sporting events.
    Eh. What’s the point.

I got it.
    Trump didnt downplay this and took it serious.
    Obama’s fault.
    Liberals love homeless pooping on the streets.
    The Left wanted this.
    Last edited by ukpumacat; 03-13-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Tough crowd.

Like playing the Apollo

I think the Trump presidency is over. Today’s news conference showed he’s becoming detached from reality. As more and more people get sick he will increasingly become unhinged just as the country looks to him to act presidential and provide some leadership.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I think the Trump presidency is over. Today’s news conference showed he’s becoming detached from reality. As more and more people get sick he will increasingly become unhinged just as the country looks to him to act presidential and provide some leadership.
    That’s why I’m not even debating this any more. I can’t begin to tell you how many Republican friends I have that are irate at him right now. People on each side of the aisle can argue all day long. But his words are on his twitter account. His speeches are online to watch. And all are dated.
    He didn’t lose me. He had no chance at my vote. But he’s lost a lot of other people.

We’re in the middle of a crisis and he’s on tv still lying about ****. It’s all so surreal.

It isn’t panic. It is people taking this serious finally. And it should have happened two weeks ago.
    We are going to find that this thing has already spread far more than we think. And a lot of people are likely to die.
    Preparedness is not panic. Going to the store to buy a couple of weeks of supplies is not panic. It’s unsettling. But it isn’t panic.
    They "seriously" need toilet paper for a head flu?

They are sure taking the lines and fights at supermarkets seriously.

No, it's panic. Mild panic, and only among those who think the virus is a death sentence b/c they watch too much TV, but it's panic.

You yourself scoffed at hoarding of bottled water. Now they're doing it even more, but it's not panic? Uh huh.

Well this has become severely boring. Going to take a break. More predictable than a bad sitcom.

His basic character and personality makeup makes him ill-suited to be in charge in a crisis. He’s an habitual liar that is apparently incapable of telling the truth, even when doing so would be in his own best interests. He’s so incapable of admitting a mistake that he digs his holes deeper and deeper. He’s also therefore completely incapable of learning from his mistakes since it would entail admitting that he made one.

He’s becoming a bystander instead of a leader because people are starting to ignore him and go around him to get the information and guidance they need. Hopefully he remains okay with that and doesn’t get desperate and start firing people like Anthony Fauci.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    They "seriously" need toilet paper for a head flu?

They are sure taking the lines and fights at supermarkets seriously.

No, it's panic. Mild panic, and only among those who think the virus is a death sentence b/c they watch too much TV, but it's panic.

You yourself scoffed at hoarding of bottled water. Now they're doing it even more, but it's not panic? Uh huh.
    Clearly I wasn’t talking about that. I was responding to Doc’s post directly above it. He was talking about canceling games and teleconferencing. He didn’t mention people hoarding toilet paper or water bottles.
    I wasn’t talking about “people” (as you referred, especially the morons buying gobs of water bottles etc).
    I was talking about sports commissioners, University Presidents and CEO’s.
    They took this serious as they should.

People emptying shelves and fighting over water is stupid and somewhat predictable. Those of us who saw this coming went to Costco last week. I didn’t need the President to reverse course and shut down European travel and call this a National Emergency to see this coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    His basic character and personality makeup makes him ill-suited to be in charge in a crisis. He’s an habitual liar that is apparently incapable of telling the truth, even when doing so would be in his own best interests. He’s so incapable of admitting a mistake that he digs his holes deeper and deeper. He’s also therefore completely incapable of learning from his mistakes since it would entail admitting that he made one.

He’s becoming a bystander instead of a leader because people are starting to ignore him and go around him to get the information and guidance they need. Hopefully he remains okay with that and doesn’t get desperate and start firing people like Anthony Fauci.
    Haha. You know I agree. Keep fighting the good fight.