Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Re: Coronavirus

Locally to me (Collier and Lee Counties) in Florida, 2 of the past three days has seen a decline in reported cases. Hopefully light is at the end of the tunnel.

Hey guys! You'll be happy to learn that North Korea is free of the virus! If you don't believe me, just ask them!

North Korea insists it is free of coronavirus

APR 2, 2020

SEOUL – North Korea remains totally free of the coronavirus, a senior health official in Pyongyang has insisted, despite mounting skepticism overseas as confirmed global infections near one million.

The already isolated, nuclear-armed North quickly shut down its borders in January after the virus was first detected in neighboring China, and imposed strict containment measures.

Pak Myong Su, director of the anti-epidemic department of the North’s Central Emergency Anti-Epidemic Headquarters, insisted that the efforts had been completely successful.

“Not one single person has been infected with the novel coronavirus in our country so far,” Pak said.
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XoX-q9NKiCR
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Well almost as believable as China's numbers

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Well almost as believable as China's numbers
    I believe NK more than China. NK is probably just shooting anyone who sneezes.

That and for the virus to be there someone had to go TO NK. People are sneaking from NK to China but I doubt anyone is sneaking back. They do get drug back, but if NK just leaves them alone then maybe no one has brought it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I’m surprised the CCP hasn’t shoved positive cases of COVID-19 across the NK border....and let them propagandize it...
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I believe NK more than China. NK is probably just shooting anyone who sneezes.

That and for the virus to be there someone had to go TO NK. People are sneaking from NK to China but I doubt anyone is sneaking back. They do get drug back, but if NK just leaves them alone then maybe no one has brought it.

The US has roughly 25% of the known cases in the world. Not that you can believe China is being accurate about its reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    The US has roughly 25% of the known cases in the world. Not that you can believe China is being accurate about its reporting.
    Yeah, we don't really.

But we're closer to the population of all of Europe so that's not surprising once you consider China is lying.

Also we're one of the more globally traveled countries, so we had a lot of people show up with it.

Last, we're an open and free country. We're going to be slow to restrict travel and lock down. That's not a bad thing, but it does have weaknesses.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

And we are.lagging behind on peaking. Italy is 2 weeks ahead. This is due to restrictive measures put in.place to.slow the infection
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

The chinese are also ahead of us on concentration camps and totalitarianism. We need to get on the ball.

Political assinations and msg production too
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

The chinese are also ahead of us on concentration camps and totalitarianism. We need to get on the ball.
    I dont trust anyone that plays checkers with marbles. Absurd.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Am I the only one over "Mask"-steria? I didnt know it was possible for the media to talk for hours and hour on surgical masks

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    A former student of mine teaches at a university in the Wuhan province. Quarantine restrictions there are just now being gradually lifted, they have been in quarantine since a January 26. The Chines put up a chainlink fence around the area where the foreign faculty lived to prevent them from going anywhere. All food and stuff was brought to them. No way do I believe their stats, the stats don’t match up with their reaction.

NY approaching 5900 hundred cases per million.

Britain is having a rough time.

The current outlook remained bleak in Britain, which recorded 708 new coronavirus deaths Saturday.

With 600-plus more deaths reported Sunday, Britain has recorded 4,934 virus deaths overall among almost 48,000 cases.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/boris-...ms-office-says
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I have come to realize that THE HIGHLIGHT of my day was going to the Dunkin Donuts drive thru for my morning cup of Joe. Pretty sad, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I have come to realize that THE HIGHLIGHT of my day was going to the Dunkin Donuts drive thru for my morning cup of Joe. Pretty sad, huh?
    I was going to ask you to stream your next such adventure.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

some might see this as bad news but not me:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/asymp...na-report-says

Assuming we can believe anything out of China...

The key to this ending is that eventually everybody gets exposed and develops immunity. An increase in asymptomatic cases is how that happens. It is slow exposure rather than a massive one which floods the health care system which is preferred. A slow exposure allows for care, and asymptomatic cases are good. Its basically a vaccine, although it does include the potential for exposing others where as a vaccine does not. However in lieu of a vax, exposure w/o illness is the best option. Now if the increase is asymptomatic cases is less than those who are getting sick percentage wise compared to the baseline, that could suggest that the is a decrease in the virulency of the virus which would be a god send

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    some might see this as bad news but not me:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/asymp...na-report-says

Assuming we can believe anything out of China...

The key to this ending is that eventually everybody gets exposed and develops immunity. An increase in asymptomatic cases is how that happens. It is slow exposure rather than a massive one which floods the health care system which is preferred. A slow exposure allows for care, and asymptomatic cases are good. Its basically a vaccine, although it does include the potential for exposing others where as a vaccine does not. However in lieu of a vax, exposure w/o illness is the best option. Now if the increase is asymptomatic cases is less than those who are getting sick percentage wise compared to the baseline, that could suggest that the is a decrease in the virulency of the virus which would be a god send
    Using that approach we should intentionally expose people at some point who are healthy and isolated from vulnerable people. Doubt that happens, and is unnecessary as we seem to be exposing plenty of people without doing anything.

But that's how they used to deal with chicken pox.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Britain is having a rough time.

The current outlook remained bleak in Britain, which recorded 708 new coronavirus deaths Saturday.

With 600-plus more deaths reported Sunday, Britain has recorded 4,934 virus deaths overall among almost 48,000 cases.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/boris-...ms-office-says
    If I read that right that's about a 10% mortality rate? That's exceptionally high.

Using that approach we should intentionally expose people at some point who are healthy and isolated from vulnerable people. Doubt that happens, and is unnecessary as we seem to be exposing plenty of people without doing anything.

But that's how they used to deal with chicken pox.
    In leiu of an effective vaccine, yes. Clearly you wait until hospitsls are not overwhelmed and we have an effective treatment

Britain kinda went for the herd immunity strategy...
    If I read that right that's about a 10% mortality rate? That's exceptionally high.

Bombino

The first major biotech company to announce a blood-based antibody assay for SARS-CoV-2:

https://www.bio-rad.com/en-us/corpor...-th_1586243352

Interestingly, their assay appears to be a triple antibody assay (IgG, IgM, and IgA). While the latter (IgA) is not usually seen in assays, it makes sense for this infection because IgA antibodies are the primary defense antibody for infections involving mucous membranes (such as the lungs).
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 04-07-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    The first major biotech companies to announce a blood-based antibody assay for SARS-CoV-2:

https://www.bio-rad.com/en-us/corpor...-th_1586243352

Interestingly, their assay appears to be a triple antibody assay (IgG, IgM, and IgA). While the latter (IgA) is not usually seen in assays, it makes sense for this infection because IgA antibodies are the primary defense antibody for infections involving mucous membranes (such as the lungs).
    If you have time Pedro, what is the best case scenario for its testing (already in progress as I read), production, and probable benefit? It was a bit unclear reading.
    Last edited by kingcat; 04-07-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    If you have time Pedro, what is the best case scenario for its testing (already in progress as I read), production, and probable benefit? It was a bit unclear reading.
    Not Pedro (who I would love to hear from) but I have read a decent amount on this.

The key to a triple test like this is that they can more closely identify if someone has fully recovered or not. Some of the serology tests only test a single immunoglobulin1, which although good, means someone could still potentially infect others even though they are at the end of their virus run and have begun to develop antibodies.

As far as timeline...I know that one of the Biotech companies in California that just developed a test and had submitted it to the FDA said they expected approval in 2 months. I am guessing that is consistent across the board.
    ~Puma~

Bombino

The test is developed and is currently awaiting FDA Emergency Use Authorization. No idea on the EUA timeline at this point. I have never been involved with a FDA EUA. That being said, once they have approval, since this test is based on some of their already existing technology I expect the scale up to take on the order of a month or so.

Based on what I know, this test has much higher throughput than the current nucleic acid tests. They are targeting to use this to allow widespread screening of the populace. If they see a high rate of antibody presence in the populace this corresponds to a high rate of immunity (and correspondingly lower risk of widespread infection appearing). This information could allow communities to relax their quarantine procedures if they see high rates of immunity within a community. Additionally, those which test negative via nucleic acid and positive via antibody could theoretically be released from quarantine.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 04-07-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Sounds like it's potentially wonderful news. Especially in that we could divert resources to target critical areas of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    The test is developed and is currently awaiting FDA Emergency Use Authorization. No idea on the EUA timeline at this point. I have never been involved with a FDA EUA. That being said, once they have approval, since this test is based on some of their already existing technology I expect the scale up to take on the order of a month or so.

Based on what I know, this test has much higher throughput than the current nucleic acid tests. They are targeting to use this to allow widespread screening of the populace. If they see a high rate of antibody presence in the populace this corresponds to a high rate of immunity (and correspondingly lower risk of widespread infection appearing). This information could allow communities to relax their quarantine procedures if they see high rates of immunity within a community. Additionally, those which test negative via nucleic acid and positive via antibody could theoretically be released from quarantine.
    Great info. I think this will show us the virus is much more widespread than we currently believe.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
    Great info. I think this will show us the virus is much more widespread than we currently believe.
    Pretty much everyone believes that and there is preliminary data to support it.

They better hustle it up b/c 2 months is way too long for approval. Think one week FDA. B/c it will take 30+ days to ramp up, and the country can't stay in shutdown indefinitely.

That being said, I know have just about concluded it would have been impossible to get very far ahead of this mess. Many of the testing kits not made in the US are faulty, and if 2 months is the FDA's now expedited EUA process then the one we started with in Jan/Feb must be insane.

Even if we had gone to defcon 1 in January we still would be just now getting widespread testing online even if the FDA was in full hustle mode, which wasn't going to happen.

Now, had the Chinese told the world this was happening in November or so when they knew then yes by early 2020 we could have more testing and treatments coming online. They sandbagged even up to this very day, still underreporting what is going on with the virus.