Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Re: Coronavirus

FWIW, as of today the US has 3 deaths/million population, which is 18th in the world. Total cases is 199/million, which is 35th in the world.

I wish there was some way to have a critical cases/total number of respirators statistic to track capacity. Not sure if that's available anywhere.

At the current rate of doubling (every 3-4 days) we're going to go over 1 million cases in the US in about 2 weeks, give or take. At the same time we will hopefully start to see in the next few days if the distancing measures are having any effect.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 03-27-2020 at 10:03 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    By point of comparison the first San Francisco case was March 5th versus 1st for NY. they had a stay at home order on the 16th, about the same time as New York was shutting down.

BUT, they only had 40 cases. NY had 90 at that point. Much bigger city, but the point still stands IMO.

At every trigger point New York has waited longer than other cities and states to shut down. They've done it about the same time as others but they started several days sooner.

BTW, some of that isn't their fault. The truth is states like Kentucky have been piggybacking on them. They take an action and other states and cities go "OK we need to do that too". It's just that New York is further along the curve so they are getting hammered, and other parts of the US are benefitting from acting when they act b/c their numbers are better.
    The chart I’ve been posting shows this really well.
    In an American sense, New York was one of the first to take this seriously. They shut down just after California did (on the same day).
    The problem is they had thousands of more cases already at that point.
    And as has been posted several times, they are just primed for this because of their density, travel and the way NY’ers live.

I’m so thankful for our Governor in California because he shut down before most people thought necessary. And he was the first to do it. That takes guts. Other states followed (including NY). It’s going to get worse here and there will be some really hard hit areas but we were on basically the same timeline as NY and his quick actions bought some time.
    This is why I’m so nervous about Florida and Louisiana in particular. They have been slow to shut down and they have areas with high density and lots of travel. Florida especially. And a lot of New Yorkers left NY as it was being shut down to head to Florida for a while.

It also scares me watching some of these pundits on Fox News talk about how this is only a blue state problem. That is just plain stupid. This will hit big states first. But it will make it to the small states. Guaranteed. It doesn’t care who you vote for.

An update to the chart:
    https://twitter.com/nathan510edge/st...027386368?s=21

It’s booming here. The majority of highly concentrated cases are in West Palm/Broward/Miami-Dade counties, but its widespread all over the state. Public beaches are closed, but private ones are full per local news reports this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    The chart I’ve been posting shows this really well.
    In an American sense, New York was one of the first to take this seriously. They shut down just after California did (on the same day).
    The problem is they had thousands of more cases already at that point.
    And as has been posted several times, they are just primed for this because of their density, travel and the way NY’ers live.

I’m so thankful for our Governor in California because he shut down before most people thought necessary. And he was the first to do it. That takes guts. Other states followed (including NY). It’s going to get worse here and there will be some really hard hit areas but we were on basically the same timeline as NY and his quick actions bought some time.
    This is why I’m so nervous about Florida and Louisiana in particular. They have been slow to shut down and they have areas with high density and lots of travel. Florida especially. And a lot of New Yorkers left NY as it was being shut down to head to Florida for a while.

It also scares me watching some of these pundits on Fox News talk about how this is only a blue state problem. That is just plain stupid. This will hit big states first. But it will make it to the small states. Guaranteed. It doesn’t care who you vote for.

An update to the chart:
    https://twitter.com/nathan510edge/st...027386368?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    It’s booming here. The majority of highly concentrated cases are in West Palm/Broward/Miami-Dade counties, but its widespread all over the state. Public beaches are closed, but private ones are full per local news reports this morning.
    Ya, I'm sorry to hear. I really wish we would just do a National shutdown for 30 days. Everywhere. Obviously except for essential jobs/personnel.
    I've seen several models that show how successful that would be at flattening the curve.
    I completely understand the economy effect of this but I just argue its going to get worse if we don't drop a hammer on this now. We will save thousands and thousands of life if we can delay this thing to prepare our hospitals.
    ~Puma~

Reading this report on Iran and the virus, it struck me that there is a similarity between Nancy and leaders in Iran

Earlier this month, as coronavirus took hold nationwide, the U.S. also offered an olive branch of assistance, which was staunchly rejected by the Iran's leaders, who have instead demanded that economic sanctions be lifted so they can adequately fight the virus. Tehran has since ignited the ire of the U.S. State Department by perpetuating false narratives through its state-run media that the novel pathogen was planted by the United States and the fault of America’s hardline approach against them.

“U.S. sanctions do not target imports of food, medicine and medical equipment, or other humanitarian goods. Iranian documents show their health companies have been able to import testing kits without obstacle from U.S. sanctions since January,” State Department spokesperson, Morgan Ortagus, tweeted Monday.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

If only it weren't a Republican House member holding this whole thing up.
    ~Puma~

Btw, we have been hearing for over a month now about how we are going to run short on ventilators and people are going to die from it. All we had to do was learn from Italy.
    These are not produced overnight. They will take months. It won't help in NY this go around but it will save lives in other places.

But after the President announced in a news conference on March 21st that GM and Ford were already making new ones (they are not even close) he is now attacking them on twitter and demanding GM use a factory to make them that they don't even own anymore.

Time to listen to Cuomo and enact the Defense Production Act to get these needed supplies made?
    ~Puma~

He's a nut. Complete nut. He won't be re-elected. Trump has called for him to be kicked out of the party, and the state GOP will primary him no doubt.

Anyway, he hasn't held it up yet. McCarthy says he has a plan. Not sure what they're planning, but the current debate today was already being observed. So he hasn't wrenched it yet, maybe there's a way to keep him from doing it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Oh, and Florida is toast. They weren't slow to shut down, they positively spurned it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

He's a nut. Complete nut. He won't be re-elected. Trump has called for him to be kicked out of the party, and the state GOP will primary him no doubt.

Anyway, he hasn't held it up yet. McCarthy says he has a plan. Not sure what they're planning, but the current debate today was already being observed. So he hasn't wrenched it yet, maybe there's a way to keep him from doing it.
    Good. I hope so. Because the thing that scares me most is not that one guy. Its that him holding it up gives others time to change their mind. No one on either side is happy with this bill. That's how deals work. They need to vote now, move on and not like it later.
    ~Puma~

Oh, and Florida is toast. They weren't slow to shut down, they positively spurned it.
    Yep. That is what scares me.

As I posted before, I really really believe that there needs to be a nationwide shut down. And I really believe that is the best thing for the economy. Give it 30-45 days. It worked in China. It will work in Italy.
    If we don't, this thing is going to keep spiking every few months and the economy is going to be on a severe roller coaster.
    ~Puma~

Bombino

Yep and with the high numbers of elderly it will likely be pretty nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Yep and with the high numbers of elderly it will likely be pretty nasty.
    Same scares me about Mexico as well. Their President is talking like ours did early on. He's in denial. And with some of those areas so impacted with density and so many elderly I am really afraid how many will die there. And their health care system is so poor.
    I love that country and their people and it breaks my heart what I think we are going to see in the next couple of months there.
    ~Puma~

Good. I hope so. Because the thing that scares me most is not that one guy. Its that him holding it up gives others time to change their mind. No one on either side is happy with this bill. That's how deals work. They need to vote now, move on and not like it later.
    Bill passed. Well done to all 4 leaders. On to Trump.
    ~Puma~

Bill has been signed.

U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

And on the lighter side:

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 5.06.15 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Haha. Isn't that the truth.
    ~Puma~

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    ‪“Have you bought masks?” Seems to me to be the measure of how seriously a person is taking this pandemic. I have not. Well, except for those I wrapped around bottles of beer for a picture on Instagram...‬

On the stock market side it seems to be virus plus (virus=Bernie).

On the political side, what a bunch of clowns they all are.
    I have quite a few from emergency backpacks discarded from work. I do wish I had kept my hazmat mask from my OMB days

My mom and stepdad are sick. So I am taking this seriously

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    I have quite a few from emergency backpacks discarded from work. I do wish I had kept my hazmat mask from my OMB days

My mom and stepdad are sick. So I am taking this seriously
    God bless you all.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Massie, the idiot, just threatened to derail it while Nancy and company actually held up the bank and delayed the process a few days.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

From what I can tell they basically just ignored House rules on two motions, verballed over him and moved on. Right call.

Technically he's right. The House must have a quorum to conduct business, but we've never faced a threat where the actual meeting of Congress is a threat to the Congress and the nation.

IMO the Congress should have been sequestered at the GReenbriar in that well known bunker they built, away from family and everyone else, 2 weeks ago.

But bringing them back to DC like this was a big risk, and this was the right move.

And that guy is political toast. I need to see what the GOP can do to get another candidate on the ballot by November, but I'm betting they do it if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Massie, the idiot, just threatened to derail it while Nancy and company actually held up the bank and delayed the process a few days.
    Massie is one nutjob. He's not the leadership. The Democrat's holdup for unrelated spending was intentional and supported by the leaders. Huge difference.

And I recall being questioned about whether it was even true Pelosi was gumming things up on Sunday, and of course it's clear now from her own words that's exactly what happened.

So we have loads of pork even in THIS bill. Beyond some very odd things like giving people raises to get on unemployment, which is at least a debate about stimulus, I'm really sleeping better at night knowing the Kennedy center is going to be OK.

Cuomo wants more money. Trump should tweet to go ask the NEA for it. lol

Massie is a kook. Both sides have some, like Maxine Waters.

In just reading a story on it there may have in fact been a quorum, but i'm not clear on that. The Speaker announced there was one just before the vote, but I have to wonder if that wasn't just an agreement by both parties to count the way people count sporting event attendance.

Obviously they'll never officially say there wasn't one, so the world may never know. Like Tootsie Pops.

Chuck, I know you mentioned the effect the situation is having on your company and employees. I hope this part of the Cares act is something that benefits you and them. The initial 10 grand is in essence a grant even if you do not take a loan. And does not have to be repaid if workers retain their jobs.

Emergency Economic Injury Grants

Includes $10 billion in funding to provide an advance of $10,000 to small businesses and nonprofits that apply for an SBA economic injury disaster loan (EIDL) within three days of applying for the loan.

Expands eligibility for access to EIDL’s to include Tribal businesses, cooperatives, and ESOPs with fewer than 500 employees or any individual operating as a sole proprietor or an independent contractor during the covered period (January 31, 2020 to December 31, 2020). Private non-profits are also eligible for both grants and EIDLs.

EIDLs are loans of up to $2 million that carry interest rates up to 3.75% for companies and up to 2.75%for nonprofits, as well as principal and interest deferment for up to 4 years. The loans may be used for expenses that could have been met had the disaster not occurred, including payroll and other operating expenses.

The EIDL grant does not need to be repaid, even if the grantee is subsequently denied an EIDL. It may be used to provide paid sick leave to employees, maintain payroll, meet increased production costs due to supply chain disruptions, or pay business obligations, including debts, rent and mortgage payments. Eligible grant recipients must have been in operation on January 31, 2020. The grant is available to small businesses, private nonprofits, sole proprietors and independent contractors, tribal businesses, as well as cooperatives and employee-owned businesses.

A business that receives an EIDL between January 31, 2020 and June 30, 2020, as a result of a COVID-19 disaster declaration, is eligible to apply for a PPP loan, or the business may refinance their EIDL into a PPP loan. In either case, the emergency EIDL grant award of up to $10,000 would be subtracted from the amount forgiven in the payroll protection plan.

The bill provides $562 million to ensure that SBA has the resources to provide Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL) to businesses that need financial support.
    Last edited by kingcat; 03-27-2020 at 06:45 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

I just got something claiming that Ibuprophen (advil) is a catalyst for coronavirus. Those who took it got exponentially sicker. Those who took acetominophen (tylenol) for relief when they started feeling ill did well. Might be an urban legend
    Last edited by Doc; 03-27-2020 at 06:58 PM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I just got something claiming that Ibuprophen (advil) is a catalyst for coronavirus. Those who took it got exponentially sicker. Those who took acetominophen (tylenol) for relief when they startsd feeling ill did well. Might be an urban legend
    The wife has read several things today saying the same. I saw an article stating they are looking into it...which means oops!, there goes the alternating pain reliever suggestion.

On the other hand I would think that, if true, that would be a breakthrough for virus researchers
    Last edited by kingcat; 03-27-2020 at 06:58 PM.

As for the bill, personally I with all the money had gone to business and corporations, including big ones. IMO it would be better to keep the nonworking employees on the payroll of their employers with gov't loans or aid rather than the distribution method in the bill. Biggest issue will be once this crisis ends all those have to find jobs. I am using this to dump poor employees that I did not have the opportunity before. I dont think I am unique either. Keeping employees paid. thru business allows the gov't to collect payroll taxes. Condition any loans or grants to be used 100% for payroll ( no stock buybacks, executive bonuses, expansion, etc) which is easy to track since that is filed anyway.

It should have contianed nothing else. No pet projects, no kickbacks, no pork.....but that is asking too much from the parasites in Washington
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    The wife has read several things today saying the same. I saw an article stating they are looking into it...which means oops!, there goes the alternating pain reliever suggestion.

On the other hand I would think that, if true, that would be a breakthrough for virus researchers
    Might be an urban lengend or a marketing strategy from the makers of tylenol, but I will keep on acetomin (excedrin migraine) which I have been taking due to a 3 day migraine

There is a substantial delay in payroll tax payments....so that it slows down your demise a bit.

Delay of payment of employer payroll taxes

The provision allows employers and self-employed individuals to defer payment of the employer share of the Social Security tax they otherwise are responsible for paying to the federal government with respect to their employees. Employers generally are responsible for paying a 6.2-percent Social Security tax on employee wages. The provision requires that the deferred employment tax be paid over the following two years, with half of the amount required to be paid by December 31, 2021, and the other half by December 31, 2022. The Social Security Trust Funds will be held harmless under this provision.