Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Birmingham Legion v Atlanta United Soccer Photos

Had a badly needed gorgeous day for soccer. Birmingham Legion is a USL team (tier 2, just under MLS) that plays in a gorgeous 5,000 seat stadium, lot of amenities, etc. Yesterday was a "friendly" (preseason game) with the MLS team, Atlanta United, a perennial power. Birmingham Legion signed an 18-year old ex-teammate of my son this week, from Houston (family in Dallas, but I think he was playing for Houston academy), so that was an unexpected treat. My son came in from college to go to the game (he's not that far away, less than 4 hours, but it's an unexpected pleasure to have him visit.) The whole thing gave me a chance to try out a "new" old camera, the Canon EOS 40d, with a 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens. If I had been by myself, I would've taken more photos, but I was enjoying spending time with my son, so I only occasionally picked up the camera to take some shots. Here are some of them (reduced in size for uploading here).

This is across the stadium from us, the crazy fan group of Atlanta United with their three stripes flag to the left of the Birmingham Legion flag. Pregame photo--stadium filled in nicely, in fact, set an all-time record for the new stadium of 6,722 (a lot of standing room only tickets, with the MLS Atlanta United team having a lot of Birmingham area supporters.)

IMG_1644.jpg

Here's Jaden in pre-game warmups.

IMG_1659.jpg

Jaden had entered the game just a moment before this...the 18-year old kid, directing traffic lol.

IMG_1668.jpg

In action, trying to get a cheap goal off a goal kick (he's # 17). For reference, our seats were good seats, close to the field (2nd row in the stands, which are probably, I dunno, 50 feet from the field?). But we were on the equivalent of like the 10-yard line on our offensive end in the first half. So this shot was a good 150 yards or more away from us. When my son plays soccer in games I can see, I can always get a lot closer than this to take photos.

IMG_1670.jpg

Jaden on the move, playing defense marking Atlanta forward Jake Mulvaney, from Dublan, Ireland.

IMG_1671.jpg

Re: Birmingham Legion v Atlanta United Soccer Photos

Here's Jaden helping defend a corner kick from Atlanta United. (By the way, Atlanta United won, 3-2, in extra time. Very exciting game, and I think both teams were happy--I thought Birmingham United played well--better than I expected, and held their own mostly against the powerhouse MLS team>

IMG_1672.jpg

My son wanted to know why in the world I was taking this picture. I like stuff like this. There was an injury to the Atlanta United player, and he went over to the sideline to get instructions from his coach. He signed with the team on Wednesday. With two days of practice (and Friday couldn't have been much--they may not have even practiced them), I'm sure he could use any instruction he could get.

IMG_1675.jpg

Getting ready for an Atlanta United free kick.

IMG_1678.jpg

This will probably come out very small, but thought it was funny because Jaden was laughing about something. Having a good time. I told the story on the WildcatChat board, but that's his personality. Happy-go-lucky. Fierce competitor, don't get me wrong. But break out in a laugh in the middle of a championship game? Yeah, he's done it lol.

IMG_1683.jpg

And the final score....sun had gone down by then, as you can see. My first game at BBVA Field (home of Birmingham Legion and UAB soccer), and really loved it. Video board is exceptional, and the replay guy did an awesome job of providing replays on every score, great play, controversial play, etc. Really added to the enjoyment. Very clear picture, too (although it was on the other end from my Section 103.)

IMG_1686.jpg

I mean to get more action photos, but again, was visiting with my son, and that was the main thing yesterday. Just a few more photos here for sampling. I didn't take that many, 46 total. All but one came out crisp and clear (to me), with one I took while whirling around and I knew it would be blurred. In fact, it was better than I expected. All of this with the sports mode selected, and literally me touching nothing because I didn't know what to do. I'll keep doing that for awhile, and especially when I attend games under lights, to see how that works with a mediocre lens (I was happy with it, though).

Jaden, pre-game.

IMG_1647.jpg

This is one of the pre-game photos (was 3rd in the burst photos; I posted the first one above). Enjoyed seeing his hair flopping wildly like that lol.

IMG_1661.jpg

Here's the blurred photo of the bunch. I'll take 45/46 anytime.

IMG_1677.jpg

A closer pic of Jaden defending Mulraney.

IMG_1680.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good color saturation and good stop action. You will be rockin that camera before you know it
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 02-09-2020 at 02:32 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.