Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

A severe weather forecast, algorithm explained

If this doesn't come out readable, go search on Twitter @Wxmanms1 for a nice explanation of the severe weather forecast over the South this weekend.

@Wxmanms1: A quick thread of what some tools that help contextualize the potential magnitude of a weather system are showing for the weather system across the South the next 48 hours. (1/)

@Wxmanms1: The SLU CIPS Analog system takes model output and runs it through a system that finds analog events based on matching fields to those observed on past dates. (2/)

@Wxmanms1: CIPS has been consistently showing for several days that the top analog for tomorrow night is 2/5/2008 - the start of the Super Tuesday tornado outbreak. (3/) https://twitter.com/Wxmanms1/status/...265089/photo/1
    Attachment 8848

@Wxmanms1: CIPS also produces variety of probabilistic guidance by looking at all the top analog matches. Here is the probability of 10 severe reports within 110 km of a point - these values are quite high (and coincidentally, similar to the SPC day 2 MDT). (4/) https://twitter.com/Wxmanms1/status/...753408/photo/11578656180.jpg

@Wxmanms1: Another tool is the NWS Western Region Situational Awareness tool, which takes ensemble model output and determines where various parameters rank in the historical database (1979-2009 reanalysis). (5/)

@Wxmanms1: One thing that has been subjectively apparent watching NWP output for this event is the strength of the wind fields and moisture with this event. The SA tool shows this objectively: MSLP is near the climo min, and wind fields/PW are either maxed out or near the climo max. (6/) https://twitter.com/Wxmanms1/status/...208258/photo/1

1578656253.jpg1578656259.jpg1578656265.jpg1578656271.jpg

@Wxmanms1: The fact that these parameters are so climatologically unusual tells forecasters that impacts - for example, from severe weather and/or heavy rain - are more likely to be unusually significant. (7/)

@Wxmanms1: Of course, none of this guarantees a major severe weather or flood event. But it does provide further support to what is being seen by mets in the various NWP and observational data, and brings awareness to the potential for a higher end impact event. (/fin)

So is it going to rain?🤓

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: A severe weather forecast, algorithm explained

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    So is it going to rain?��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MAYBE
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Pretty sure the wind will blow, and even more sure it will be dark tonight
    seeya
    dan

Fab Five

Are we gonna die?
    Real Fan since 1958

Do you envision dark as being lethal?
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Are we gonna die?
    Yes.

Eventually.

JV Team

Hmm, that algorithm helps save a lot of lives.