Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thanksgiving dinner thread

Questions about your menu:

Turkey: Roast, smoked, fried, etc.?

Dressing: Cornbread, regular bread, any variations (oyster, etc.)?

White potatoes: mashed, scalloped, etc.?

Sweet potatoes: cut/candied, mashed, casserole, etc.?

Bread: Cornbread, yeast rolls, biscuits, etc.?

Cranberry sauce: jiggly stuff from a can, homemade, relish, etc.?

Veggies: salad, casserole, etc.?

Desserts: Pumpkin pie, pecan pie, etc.?

What time do you usually eat?

Any other family traditions?
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: Thanksgiving dinner thread

For us, it's:

Turkey: spatchcocked (butterflied) and roasted

Dressing: Cornbread

White potatoes: mashed

Sweet potatoes: cut/candied (baked with a brown sugar glaze)

Bread: Yeast rolls

Cranberry sauce: relish

Veggies: Mrs. BEvans has to have something raw so we have a garden salad she makes. We also roast brussel sprouts

Desserts: Pumpkin pie and fresh apple cake Mrs. BEvans makes

What time do you usually eat? We start cooking when we get up and eat it when it's ready--usually early afternoon. Another advantage of this approach is you can come back for leftovers at dinner time.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Turkey basted and roasted but I love Honey Baked Ham’s smoked turkey breast.

Dressing is usually Pepperidge Farms regular (with drippings from the turkey). We make one dish with oysters and one without.

Mashed potatoes with homemade giblet gravy

Sweet potatoes with lots of butter and brown sugar

Cranberry sauce from a can (made relish from scratch a couple of years but hardly anyone likes it but me).

We used to have homemade yeast rolls but anymore buy the frozen ones—they’re almost as good.

There will usually be some sort of green bean or broccoli casserole

Dessert is pumpkin pie with whipped topping; sometimes a peanut butter pie.

Eat around 1:00; drink some bourbon and pass out watching football then get up and eat leftovers

Turkey: Roast, smoked, fried, etc.?

Roasted

Dressing: Cornbread, regular bread, any variations (oyster, etc.)?

Cornbread dressing. At least a double batch. Just standard, I guess.

White potatoes: mashed, scalloped, etc.?

None that I recall. I'll check back Thursday (I just eat and pass out, so I may forget from time to time)

Sweet potatoes: cut/candied, mashed, casserole, etc.?

Sweet potato casserole.

Bread: Cornbread, yeast rolls, biscuits, etc.?

Yeast rolls. They're not homemade; don't know where they come from. They're good. I eat them.

Cranberry sauce: jiggly stuff from a can, homemade, relish, etc.?

Jiggly stuff from a can. We like it well enough. Not sure how you make it otherwise.

Veggies: salad, casserole, etc.?

Broccoli cheddar rice is one of our favorites. I dunno what's in it. Cheese. Broccoli. I just eat.
    Green bean casserole, too.

Desserts: Pumpkin pie, pecan pie, etc.?

It varies. Sometimes pecan pie. Sometimes pumpkin pie. Sometimes both. But lately, always pumpkin rolls. Not sure what's in it. Cream cheese. Is anything bad with cream cheese in it? I don't think so.

What time do you usually eat?

It now changes, depending on who is there, work schedule, etc. We've had a couple of nurses/nurse practitioners in the family and they often work on Thanksgiving. Hey, people don't get sick on schedules. This year, it will be about 7:30 p.m. Used to be around 2 p.m. and then leftovers whenever we wanted, maybe 6-6:30 or so.

Any other family traditions?

Not really. Just glad to have family home. In-laws had made the trip to visit us several years in a row, and now, at age 88 in New Orleans and health declining, just not up to making the trip anymore. They made the trip to see my youngest child graduate high school in May, and told us that would be the last trip here. We're thankful they could make that many.

Let me add a new tradition.

Spending $511 to fix the oven. Crap, I had no idea it would cost that much.

Nevermind.

$99 for the guy to say they couldn't fix it til next week, when my wife won't be around to use it. And a basic oven costs about $600 similar to what we're replacing, so we'll just get a new oven. Apparently these things are disposable (they are at this price).

Well, nothing can be done until next week. So it will be an interesting Thanksgiving this year. Food being cooked in all kind of different ways. Will let you know. The oven works, but the temperature seems to be all wrong and it seems to be cooking not as hot as it's supposed to cook.

Kroger will sell you a whole cooked turkey and all the trimmings.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Kroger will sell you a whole cooked turkey and all the trimmings.
    She told me on the way home with that she could get a precooked turkey somewhere and cook the rest of the stuff. It'll be okay. They actually have good deals on ovens right now, too. I was thinking our timing was bad, but it actually may be pretty good.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    She told me on the way home with that she could get a precooked turkey somewhere and cook the rest of the stuff. It'll be okay. They actually have good deals on ovens right now, too. I was thinking our timing was bad, but it actually may be pretty good.
    Lowe's normally has sales during Holiday weekends

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

This year Grammy and I are starting a new tradition.
    With kids needing to go to their in-laws and biological parents for Thanksgiving dinner, we are having a Thanksgiving Breakfast blowout.
    It will allow the kids to go to the other places they need and me to be in a Diabetic coma by 10:00 am...
    Then Grammy and I can relax in the afternoon and possibly go to someone's house for dinner.
    It will be a full blown Southern breakfast!
    I'll let y'all know how it turned out when I come out of the coma.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Multi person correspondence flying around via FB messenger. This the latest update from Ms boss’s side.

Thanksgiving Menu- turkey,dressing,gravy,mashed potatoes,green beans, corn, corn pudding, rolls, Mac and cheese, noodles, pineapple cheese casserole, sweet potato casserole, broccoli slaw, kale salad,pumpkin pie cupcakes, pineapple cake,Carla's dessert, dip, pound cake, tea and lemonade and deviled eggs😊I am probably forgetting something but no one should go away hungry!

There will be several more dishes and desserts that aren’t listed.

The above is served at noon. After that we’ll pack up and to Shelby Co. to my nephews who is taking over on my side. Here’s the text he sent when I asked what we should bring

What ever ypud like.... im doing damn near all of it...... ive already got macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, ham, turkey, corn pudding, broccoli casserole, stuffing. Mom is doing desert...

This will be served at 6:00pm...

...see weight loss exercise thread🙄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 11-26-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Wife's family event this year.6 sisters, one brother, and 1 sister in law all contribute as do many of the grandkids. The following shows up at their meet and eats

2 types of ham, fried and baked turkey.
    Dressing is my specialty is cornbread and biscuit blend cooked outside the turkey
    Potatoes, Idaho mashed and sweet potato casserole
    Veggies, country style green beans, sweet corn pudding, 12, casseroles layered salad, deviled eggs
    Corn bread and yeast rolls

cranberry sauce, I do not know as I avoid it like it has the plague

5 cakes, pumpkin pie, chess pie, peach cobbler and banana pudding

Egg Nog with bourbon flavoring
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    This year Grammy and I are starting a new tradition.
    With kids needing to go to their in-laws and biological parents for Thanksgiving dinner, we are having a Thanksgiving Breakfast blowout.
    It will allow the kids to go to the other places they need and me to be in a Diabetic coma by 10:00 am...
    Then Grammy and I can relax in the afternoon and possibly go to someone's house for dinner.
    It will be a full blown Southern breakfast!
    I'll let y'all know how it turned out when I come out of the coma.
    I'd much rather do this. What time should I be there?

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I'd much rather do this. What time should I be there?

We will probably start eating around 8:00ish, and like I said earlier I will more than likely explode or go comatose about 10:00.
    If you are traveling through you are more than welcome to come; just don't be surprised, we are doing this in our PJ's. Give the kids, grandkids and great grandkids a chance to get slickered up a smidge before traveling to their next stop...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

That sounds like a great tradition to start Pappy!
    changing my signature to change our luck.

The spatchcocked turkey saved the day. We were way behind schedule because we only had one oven and one of our relatives really wanted a ham, and that took awhile. We cut the backbone out of a 15 lb. turkey, pushed him flat, laid him on a baking sheet (actually on a wire rack on a baking sheet, with onions, carrots, celery and herbs under the rack), put salt and pepper on him and cooked him for 1 hour and 5 minutes at 450. My sister was skeptical it would be ready after only an hour or so, but it came out perfect and with nice crispy skin. I highly recommend this technique, especially if you're in a time crunch.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 12-06-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Fab Five

I will spatchcock a chicken on the grill occasionally. (It's the only time I use those shears that come with the knife set.) The chicken cooks evenly and in fairly quick time. If I smoke it, I put lemons, garlic, rosemary and thyme underneath it.

I have never tried a turkey, but after reading about your experience I may do one on the grill sometime over the holidays.
    Real Fan since 1958

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    That is a great video.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Lowe's normally has sales during Holiday weekends

Last night was the final day of Lowe's sale, and we picked up an oven then. My wife has been in New Orleans with my daughter until yesterday afternoon, so I waited for her to get back. Really good sale. Didn't spend much more than what it would have cost to fix our six-year old oven (yes, it should have lasted longer than six years), but we get a brand new one, with new warranties, etc.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Last night was the final day of Lowe's sale, and we picked up an oven then. My wife has been in New Orleans with my daughter until yesterday afternoon, so I waited for her to get back. Really good sale. Didn't spend much more than what it would have cost to fix our six-year old oven (yes, it should have lasted longer than six years), but we get a brand new one, with new warranties, etc.
    Glad it worked out