Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Hard Rock Hotel construction site collapses in New Orleans

Re: Hard Rock Hotel construction site collapses in New Orleans

Holy crap.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Good Lord. Prayers for all that were impacted by the collapse. That is going to be an expensive mistake for somebody or some company. Out of spec materials, bad engineering, faulty construction methods, etc is gonna be costly well beyond the cost to repair the building.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Wow! It didnt look like a crane collapse to me. Smoke or dust was coming out of the building prior to any crane movement it appeared.
    Perhaps how the crane was cabled instead.

Prayers for the dead and injured.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Rupp's Runt

We just completed our new buildilng on campus. My first one that I have been involved with. This concerned me the whole time. No offense to anyone that is involved in commercial construction. But they can be so arrogant in their abilites, yet really struggle answering some basic construction questions.

seeya
    dan

Looks like the 3 elevator towers held the remaining part of the building together.
    seeya
    dan

Hearing now that two died and a third person is missing under the rubble that they have not found yet.

Horrible but after watching the video it could have been much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Horrible but after watching the video it could have been much worse.
    They were lucky that it was early Saturday morning in New Orleans. The Monday to Friday crowd wasn't there (My wife and I lived in Lakeview in New Orleans, and traveled down Canal Street daily to get to my office for work and to the hospital where she worked).

Probably nobody is interested, but here's a map of where the collapse was located, with some local attractions identified (along with my/Mrs. C's former workplaces). It's kinda weird-New Orleansy that the "Museum of Death" is identified in this map right behind the collapse.

New Orleans CBD map.jpg

One other map showing more famous attractions and this location.

The Roosevelt Hotel is where my wife and I spent the night after our wedding before catching a plane the next morning to Hawaii for our honeymoon.

New Orleans CBD map2.JPG

Fab Five

Oh my! Very sorry for those families affected.

About 11 or 12 years ago, I was involved in the lawsuit aftermath from a crane collapse on the East Coast. It was a nightmare. I can't believe how many parties will be involved in the legal aftermath. A real challenge will be to find a hotel with a ballroom large enough to take depositions.
    Real Fan since 1958

Years ago when I was I college I worked in construction in the summer for extra dough. I was a laborer on a crew that built the first set of condos at Sailfish Point down in Doc’s neck of the woods.

When pouring the concrete floors steel cables are laid and then they hook a tensioner to them and pull them tight at about a bazillion LB/sq”. If they are not properly tensioned, as they continue stacking floors the floor will fail causing a pancake situation

Around the same time I was working on that project there was a building collapse during construction where the cables were not properly tensioned... I believe it was in Cocoa Beach, maybe Orlando, but regardless IIRC there were quite a few fatalities of construction workers. Gave me the heebeejeebees after that while working on lower decks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

@TylerFingert: #NewOrleans is preparing to explode two giant, badly damaged construction cranes. The goal is to bring them down today ahead of tropical weather that could possibly cause them to topple over during the storm. https://abcn.ws/31punDG