Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

"Eat less red meat," they said. "It's bad for you," they said.

Well, not so much, it turns out:

Public health officials for years have urged Americans to limit consumption of red meat and processed meats because of concerns that these foods are linked to heart disease, cancer and other ills.

But on Monday, in a remarkable turnabout, an international collaboration of researchers produced a series of analyses concluding that the advice, a bedrock of almost all dietary guidelines, is not backed by good scientific evidence.

If there are health benefits from eating less beef and pork, they are small, the researchers concluded. Indeed, the advantages are so faint that they can be discerned only when looking at large populations, the scientists said, and are not sufficient to tell individuals to change their meat-eating habits.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/h...rt-cancer.html

Reminds me of William Goldman's quote about Hollywood: "Nobody knows anything."
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 10-01-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: "Eat less red meat," they said. "It's bad for you," they said.

We're omnivores. People need to just get over it. It's who we are, just like walking upright and having opposable thumbs.

I've been gradually putting more red meat back in my diet. I had gotten away from it simply by convenience, I moved to a lot of chicken b/c I can get that easily (fast food) and it's relatively lower in carbs and junk than just burgers. They don't serve a nice prime rib in a drive through in many places.

But I'm going back to more pork and more red meat, and I feel better.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I am going to go back to eating a setting of eggs a day to go with my 8 ounces of medium rare steak, and 2 pieces of heavily buttered toast
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

They never affected my eating habits in the least.

Last edited by kingcat; 10-01-2019 at 10:02 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Yeah dude, the thing is: when we had to hunt for food, do u really think we ate steak 2/3 times a day?

Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    Yeah dude, the thing is: when we had to hunt for food, do u really think we ate steak 2/3 times a day?
    A Dinosaur has lots of steaks on them.
    Steak was not so much a big deal for hunters or cattle farmers back in the day. Lots of hard work processing it though

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Since none of us lived back in that day, there’s no way to know that....
    Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post

Interestingly a lot of early American explorers and settlers out West developed scurvy and other disorders b/c the found the buffalo and that plethora of meat availability was rare so they pretty much just ate meat and of course ended up with shortages of other key vitamins and minerals.

Clearly balance, as in all things in life, is the key. IMO eating all meat is not healthy but neither is the extreme vegan stuff. Humans were designed to eat a mix of these things, so do that.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    Since none of us lived back in that day, there’s no way to know that....
    I dunno. We've got a couple of pretty senior members on this board....

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I dunno. We've got a couple of pretty senior members on this board....
    Hey, I represent that remark....
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I can testify that dinosaurs are easier to kill then they are to skin, and when you don't live next to the ocean, finding enough salt for the curing process is a bitch.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I can testify that dinosaurs are easier to kill then they are to skin, and when you don't live next to the ocean, finding enough salt for the curing process is a bitch.
    Could always smoke 'em instead.

Gonna need a big piece of paper though....

Could always smoke 'em instead.

Gonna need a big piece of paper though....

So many of these things constantly change from good to bad to good to bad:
    red meat, coffee, red wine, heroin, potatoes.

Its hard to keep up.
    ~Puma~

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    So many of these things constantly change from good to bad to good to bad:
    red meat, coffee, red wine, heroin, potatoes.

Its hard to keep up.
    Hippie Californians....

Hippie Californians....
    Haha. I thought it was funny to slip in. But seriously, so much of this stuff is always changing. I listened to a fascinating podcast about McDonald's French Fries. And how many times (and how much $) they have spent constantly changing the recipe (mostly what its cooked in) to keep up with the newest health information. And at the end, the conclusion was that as they have gotten "healthier and healthier" people consume more and more of them. That for the first 40 years or whatever, they were cooked in beef tallow. But, people ate far less of them in one sitting because they were filling.

Now, they have had to increase the salt and the size because they use healthier fats. So people don't fill up on them (and we eat more now).

I will say this: I think if we pay attention our bodies tell us what is good or not. Mine certainly does. When I eat too much fried food, etc I just plain don't feel good. When I am eating less and better I feel much better. Our bodies usually know.
    ~Puma~

Agree 100%. In my life things like eggs and potatoes have gone from miracle food to bane of humanity and back at least 2-3 times each.

balance and common sense. That's the smart approach IMO. I try to minimize carbs and junk and I feel better and lose weight. I take it that's the right approach, but it's not ever absolute. I still indulge, I just try to not do it all the time.

About as healthy as I get is not eating chocolate candy without nuts...preferably almonds

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    About as healthy as I get is not eating chocolate candy without nuts...preferably almonds
    I never eat fruits and nuts. You are what you eat.

Rupp's Runt

Cattle farmer as my 2nd job.

Beef is horrible for the environment. Please eat all of it you can. Specifically black Angus beef. Eat lots of that.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

I never stopped eating red meat. The one thing I do try to avoid is starches like potatoes and grains.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Cattle farmer as my 2nd job.

Beef is horrible for the environment. Please eat all of it you can. Specifically black Angus beef. Eat lots of that.

Please send me a side so I can do my part to help.

Agree 100%. In my life things like eggs and potatoes have gone from miracle food to bane of humanity and back at least 2-3 times each.

balance and common sense. That's the smart approach IMO. I try to minimize carbs and junk and I feel better and lose weight. I take it that's the right approach, but it's not ever absolute. I still indulge, I just try to not do it all the time.
    Common sense???? You must have forgot who you're talking too. Senior moment maybe.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Please send me a side so I can do my part to help.
    Anytime sir. If you are ever in Muhlenberg County we will watch a game outside while we save the environment.

Most all here are welcome. Most...lol

seeya
    dan

It is a myth that red meat will kill you. Red meat is nutritious and any genuinely hungry person would eat it.

GREEN MEAT, now, will kill you.

Do you ever notice that their are vegan alternatives to nearly everything? Whoppers, bacon...everything....
    Do you see meat trying to mimic veggie dishes? I think not.....lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    It is a myth that red meat will kill you. Red meat is nutritious and any genuinely hungry person would eat it.

GREEN MEAT, now, will kill you.