Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quantum Stuff

Bombino

Re: Quantum Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    What a pair! Coupled quantum dots may offer a new way to store quantum information

Researchers at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and their colleagues have for the first time created and imaged a novel pair of quantum dots -- tiny islands of confined electric charge that act like interacting artificial atoms. Such "coupled" quantum dots could serve as a robust quantum bit, or qubit, the fundamental unit of information for a quantum computer. Moreover, the patterns of electric charge in the island can't be fully explained by current models of quantum physics, offering an opportunity to investigate rich new physical phenomena in materials.
    My first job in industry was synthesizing CdSe quantum dots. They are VERY cool to synthesize (though I did lose some of my sense of smell from the Cd). I always try to follow articles about quantum dots because they are so interesting.

Bombino

Here is an VERY interesting paper which could potentially be a HUGE leap:
    Engineers have created artificial atoms (quantum dots) on a silicon chip

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0224152922.htm

February 24, 2020
    Source:
    Stanford University
    Summary:
    Researchers are investigating light-emitting defects in materials that may someday form the basis of quantum-based technologies, such as quantum computers, quantum networks or engines that run on light. Once understood, these defects can become controllable features.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

seeya
    dan

Fellows, I am enjoying this stuff. I just have little to offer. I have established that Pedro probably did not create ice cream Dipping Dots, but something a bit more complex....and probably just as tasty.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I loved this video of the double slit experiment.

Please, all the novices out there, watch this all the way through. Explain it using common sense and win yourself a Nobel prize!

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Coming to Grips with the Implications of Quantum Mechanics
    The question is no longer whether quantum theory is correct, but what it means.

For almost a century, physicists have wondered whether the most counterintuitive predictions of quantum mechanics (QM) could actually be true. Only in recent years has the technology necessary for answering this question become accessible, enabling a string of experimental results—including startling ones reported in 2007 and 2010, and culminating now with a remarkable test reported in May—that show that key predictions of QM are indeed correct. Taken together, these experiments indicate that the everyday world we perceive does not exist until observed, which in turn suggests—as we shall argue in this essay—a primary role for mind in nature. It is thus high time the scientific community at large—not only those involved in foundations of QM—faced up to the counterintuitive implications of QM’s most controversial predictions.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 03-30-2020 at 10:30 AM.
    seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

For almost a century, physicists have wondered whether the most counterintuitive predictions of quantum mechanics (QM) could actually be true. Only in recent years has the technology necessary for answering this question become accessible, enabling a string of experimental results—including startling ones reported in 2007 and 2010, and culminating now with a remarkable test reported in May—that show that key predictions of QM are indeed correct. Taken together, these experiments indicate that the everyday world we perceive does not exist until observed, which in turn suggests—as we shall argue in this essay—a primary role for mind in nature. It is thus high time the scientific community at large—not only those involved in foundations of QM—faced up to the counterintuitive implications of QM’s most controversial predictions.
    That may require accepting creation as science. And that's never likely to happen as long as perception itself is self determined to disprove that.

Wow..

I wonder if there is a chance that using a quantum network to interact with each other, it's theoretically possible for one party to actually know what is going to be said in advance of the other party saying it?

Quantum Computation

Scientists at Ames Laboratory, Brookhaven National Laboratory, and the University of Alabama Birmingham have discovered a light-induced switching mechanism in a Dirac semimetal. The mechanism establishes a new way to control the topological material, driven by back-and-forth motion of atoms and electrons, which will enable topological transistor and quantum computation using light waves.
    seeya
    dan

Quantum Stuff

Scientists at...the University of Alabama Birmingham have discovered a light-induced switching mechanism [/I]
    Yup. We advanced in these parts. Screenshot_20200421-195342.jpg

seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

Simple mod makes quantum states last 10,000 times longer

If we can harness it, quantum technology promises fantastic new possibilities. But first, scientists need to coax quantum systems to stay yoked for longer than a few millionths of a second.

A team of scientists at the University of Chicago's Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering announced the discovery of a simple modification that allows quantum systems to stay operational -- or "coherent" -- 10,000 times longer than before. Though the scientists tested their technique on a particular class of quantum systems called solid-state qubits, they think it should be applicable to many other kinds of quantum systems and could thus revolutionize quantum communication, computing and sensing.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Wow..

I wonder if there is a chance that using a quantum network to interact with each other, it's theoretically possible for one party to actually know what is going to be said in advance of the other party saying it?

My Wife seems to have this already figured out...

seeya
    dan

So in essence, your individual perception really is reality! And this explains the branching of time and realites because the reality does not exist until you observe it..and how you observe it may create alternate realities.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I loved this video of the double slit experiment.

Please, all the novices out there, watch this all the way through. Explain it using common sense and win yourself a Nobel prize!

That was too cool.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

New development

They are making entanglement work to their advantage
    seeya
    dan

Spin clean-up method brings practical quantum computers closer to reality

Researchers create a quantum algorithm that removes spin contaminants while making chemical calculations on quantum computers. This allows for predictions of electronic and molecular behavior with degrees of precision not achievable with classical computers and paves the way for practical quantum computers to become a reality.
    seeya
    dan

In general I understand...sort of. But this is hard to wrap my head around. I can't visualize it at all.

I need a "Mr. Peabody" explanation. For all the science involved, it doesn't seem at all scientific.
    Observation, experimentation, and implementation I know..but?

Last edited by kingcat; 10-01-2020 at 08:32 PM.

FWIW, and that is not very much at all, I lost my grip on the whole quantum thing several years ago and have been spiraling out of control in that area. If I accept the "reality" of quantum, then I have to throw away much of what i grew up with as reality. That is damn difficult for me to do. To be comfortable with the entire Quantum business, an entity needs to grow up with it as their "reality".

A person like me, that had over 50 years of my own real life experiences and time and space were comfortable concepts and ones that were not to be messed with, trying to make sense of cats in boxes, entangled long distance quarks and electrons with matching spins, is easy enough to comprehend if I am willing to throw away a lot of my learned reality. If I can not throw that away and look at the world from a star trek type reality, then I can not understand a damn thing that relates to the quantum world, and it is important to realize that the quantum world is a different one than the one we think we are living in.
    seeya
    dan

I hear ya' Dan. It seems to me an illogical science that refuses to allow you to quantify it. But the way it reacts does allow you to follow along fairly close as long as you approach it with apparent indifference.
    And then with some trickery you can record the abstract way it reacts and catch on the second, third, fourth*.. time around. Like it's actually driven, not by logic, but a desire to skirt mathematical logic and prevent being studied.
    Yet definable by the methods it uses to do so.

I get a strange feeling quantum science has knowledge of itself and it's surroundings. And has it's motives, yet is limited in how it can illogically respond.

"Them thangs is pyyyy-zon i'm telling ya"

seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

Ok, this may be the dumbest question ever and if so, I fully admit my ignorance...

In the Delayed Choice Experiment, it makes it sounds like the Proton enters both particle and wave when it hits the 1st beam splitter. And that is what is confusing people.

But what if the proton actually doubles and becomes both. Could the Proton have the ability to double mass at that split and then when it hits the 2nd beam splitter loses the extra mass and comes back to only being 1?

seeya
    dan