Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quantum Stuff

Quantum Stuff

Last edited by dan_bgblue; 09-27-2019 at 08:08 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: Quantum Stuff

Amazing stuff isn’t it? The Chinese are well advanced in the technology too. Perhaps more so than the US
    But especially as it relates to defense, it would only benefit each relative to their existing military strength imo.

In the regular world, whichever company delivers such speed and secure internet could own the industry.
    Sorry Big Al..

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

seeya
    dan

Last edited by dan_bgblue; 10-02-2019 at 08:30 PM.
    seeya
    dan

Is it just me or does this stuff make you a bit dizzy even though your interest is peaked?
    I usually find myself having to back away before I grasp the point being made..or skipping ahead to the conclusion.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

I get really crossed up when entanglement enters the discussion. I understand what they are saying, but fail to understand the science behind 2 inanimate objects that do not nor have ever touched exhibiting related memories from a distance. I do believe it would make it easier to comprehend if one begins studying the concept at around age 6 instead of beginning to do the same at age 50.
    seeya
    dan

I tried putting two neighborhood cats in boxes but they both agreed on their response.

seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

So a normal ammonia molecule (Photo left side) is actually super stable. Yet can be inverted by a huge amount of energy into a different state (Photo right side)

But through our new found ability to manipulate the molecule (quantum tunneling), we can alter the normal mechanics involved to easily create inversion.

Not only that, but we can cause the single ammonia molecule to exist in both states at the same time? Not creating a new molecule, but the simultaneous existence of both possible states of the same molecule. Each in it's own identical space yet apart from the other.

Whatever you do, dont tell Donna I can be in two places at one time.

Wow, just wow.. That's good stuff Dan.
    Last edited by kingcat; 11-10-2019 at 09:17 PM.

seeya
    dan

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post

So a normal ammonia molecule (Photo left side) is actually super stable. Yet can be inverted by a huge amount of energy into a different state (Photo right side)

But through our new found ability to manipulate the molecule (quantum tunneling), we can alter the normal mechanics involved to easily create inversion.

Not only that, but we can cause the single ammonia molecule to exist in both states at the same time? Not creating a new molecule, but the simultaneous existence of both possible states of the same molecule. Each in it's own identical space yet apart from the other.

Whatever you do, dont tell Donna I can be in two places at one time.

Wow, just wow.. That's good stuff Dan.
    Just got a chance to read this thread in detail (yay holidays).

Some slight corrections to your description:

This isn't the creation of new states for the molecule, it

Under normal conditions, both states of Ammonia are equal in energy but there is a large energy barrier between them. To use an everyday analogy: this is analogous to going up and down a hill. At the bottom of the hill, you have low potential energy. At the top of the hill, you have higher potential energy. When you walk down the other side, if you end up at the same elevation at which you started, then the energy difference is zero. Under normal everyday conditions, ammonia is rapidly inverting and has a relatively low barrier to inversion (below the energies found at room temperature). Along with standard thermal inversion, tunneling inversion also occurs due to the relatively narrow energy barrier between the two states. If a particle can tunnel, then it will exist in both states until the point it is measured (Schrodingers Cat and all that).

Under a strong magnetic field these states are no longer equal, one form is FAR lower energy than before and the other is far higher energy. This also results in the barrier to inversion being far higher, making inversion extremely unlikely. This research created a system to actually subject ammonia to a high enough magnetic field that essentially all inversion stops. This allow them to not only stop normal energy-based inversion but the energy barrier gets so wide that tunneling-based inversion stops as well. This allows them to research the tunneling aspects of inversion much more easily than done previously.

Awesome.
    I try to understand it as best I can but reading dont really do the science justice from my perspective. I certainly wish it was something a layman could just delve into a bit, but it's certainly an in depth field of study.
    Sort of like being able to build a model car doesn't enable you to question a mechanic.

I do find quantum science very interesting. Especially as it might someday relate to things that are inexplicable otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I get really crossed up when entanglement enters the discussion. I understand what they are saying, but fail to understand the science behind 2 inanimate objects that do not nor have ever touched exhibiting related memories from a distance. I do believe it would make it easier to comprehend if one begins studying the concept at around age 6 instead of beginning to do the same at age 50.
    I saw an episode of Nova awhile ago that put it in a way that I could finally comprehend. You just have to imagine that space no longer exists. Put aside any notion of distance. So those two entangled objects aren’t really separated at all in the quantum world.
    Last edited by Catfan73; 11-28-2019 at 07:48 AM.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

seeya
    dan

that one is hard for me to grasp. I guess if I had more knowledge about thermal dynamics, especially as it relates to nanoscale electronic components technology in general that would help.

Basically it appears nothing fluctuates in a vacuum at the quantum level..and nothing does not fluctuate in a normal vacuum?????????????????????

I would guess there is something there they just cannot see. Perhaps beyond, within, or beside the quantum level.
    Last edited by kingcat; 12-23-2019 at 06:41 PM.

seeya
    dan

Bombino

Quantum Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Read this one recently, it is a very interesting article. Unexpected that Legos would perform this well. It's going to lead to some very unique and esoteric materials

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 12-27-2019 at 09:00 PM.

seeya
    dan

Bombino

This is cool very cutting edge stuff. A lot of things need to come in to line to make quantum computers manufacturable items. Much like going from individual transistors to ICs, this transition will take a lot of time and slow progress.

Progress in that area, no matter the speed is much better than no progress. Being able to include silicon chips in the new process is huge in my mind.
    seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

Just amazing stuff.

Our kids are going to witness some major leaps in technology over the next fifty years imo. And probably re-write our understanding of physics.

As for me it basically says a couple of things. Size matters..and the size of matter is only a matter of perception.
    There is actually no small or large, inward or outward,....and the only the directions are.. where we are going and where we have already been.
    Anything else may be pure speculation.
    Last edited by kingcat; 01-18-2020 at 11:32 AM.

JV Team

Well, knowing this, I guess my kids are indeed in good hands.

seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

What a pair! Coupled quantum dots may offer a new way to store quantum information

Researchers at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and their colleagues have for the first time created and imaged a novel pair of quantum dots -- tiny islands of confined electric charge that act like interacting artificial atoms. Such "coupled" quantum dots could serve as a robust quantum bit, or qubit, the fundamental unit of information for a quantum computer. Moreover, the patterns of electric charge in the island can't be fully explained by current models of quantum physics, offering an opportunity to investigate rich new physical phenomena in materials.
    seeya
    dan