Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Good thoughts and prayers for my MIL and FIL

...and my wife, while you're at it, please.

My FIL had surgery a couple of weeks ago. He's in good health, but at 88 years old, you just don't recover easily. My MIL has struggled with her health--also 88 years old--and on top of the breathing, blood pressure, and host of issues she has, she hurt her back as well. So my wife went down to spend time with them to help, and has been there a couple of weeks.

Last night she called me on her way to the hospital where she was taking her mom at 11pm last night. Blood pressure was 231/91. After dosing of BP medicine, and IV stuff, at 1 a.m. it was 237/100. It finally came down, and at 5 a.m. they discharged her with 140/60, and heart rate in the 80's (it's normally in the 60's with a pacemaker, but this was normal enough).

The hospital is close to where my MIL and FIL live, but my poor wife is running herself ragged.

It's funny...today is National Daughters Day. I know, another made-up holiday. But these words really caught me today from the nationaltoday.com/national-daughter-day website:

On National Daughter Day we remember to show unconditional love to the guardian of our family trust, our beautiful, witty, creative, and sometimes, demanding daughters. For aging parents, especially, a daughter maintains a level of connectivity and commitment that keeps families together and healthy.

FIL is doing fine, just super-slow recovery, physical therapy and such. He's always been super-active. I remember a couple of years ago they came to visit, and I had tickets for a luncheon where Shaquille O'Neal was the speaker. It was downtown, and in a banquet hall surrounding the BJCC. As we were approaching the steps, I slowed down to look to see where an elevator might be, turned my head, and when I turned it back, he was halfway up all the steps, never giving it a second thought. He was excited (as an LSU grad) to listen to Shaq speak and enjoy a lunch out.

Getting old is hard sometimes.

Re: Good thoughts and prayers for my MIL and FIL

You’ve got it, D. Wishing them the very best.

Best wishes...going thru similar stuff with my father
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Rupp's Runt

Prayers for all! 🙏

Rupp's Runt

Prayers for all (including Doc)

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

God’s speed to recovery... and your wife’s strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Not only is getting old hard sometimes, dealing with age related issues long distance is very stressful. I thoroughly understand what your wife, Doc and others in those situations face. I had blood pressure readings slightly higher than your MIL's over 11 years ago. I only hope she does as well as I have.

I wish the best to all.
    Real Fan since 1958

Thanks, all. Today is 3 weeks my wife has been there. She and I went down 3 weeks ago; I spent a couple of days and my FIL's surgery was postponed 3 days. She stayed and I returned. Other than a 2 day trip to Jackson to see our son in college (she met me there), where her sister took over, she's been there ever since. She returns home today to go wedding dress shopping with two of my daughters tomorrow in Nashville, but will then spend the weekend at home and rest before returning to New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Best wishes...going thru similar stuff with my father
    Thinking and praying for you guys too, Doc.

My prayers go up for all of those mentioned here.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Prayers and well wishes for all.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Best wishes to all, but especially your wife. My grandparents are elderly and need help and I've seen how much work that takes. I'm glad she is available to help, but know it is not easy

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Best wishes to all, but especially your wife. My grandparents are elderly and need help and I've seen how much work that takes. I'm glad she is available to help, but know it is not easy
    Thank you for that.

After a short weekend rest at home, my wife is headed back there tomorrow around noon. She will be there through Thursday, return back home after joining me to visit our son at College Thursday through Saturday, and then we'll return to New Orleans on Tuesday. Hopefully, the Thursday doctor's visit will coincide with them feeling well enough where they can manage on their own and she can return home. It is tough.

He's doing better, she's doing better, wife is at home but will head back Wednesday. FIL has a doctor's appointment Thursday and she doesn't trust him to understand the doctor correctly.

She showed me her notes from the last doctor visit where the doctor gave specific instructions regarding something that he needed to get. She left Thursday to head to Jackson to join me for a couple days and then head home, and in the meantime, her sister was in charge. Her sister said that my FIL went to the drug store and picked something up, telling his other daughter that the doctor did not give him anything specific to get, when that was 100% wrong.

Anyway, she will be there Wednesday through next Tuesday, and that probably will be it. He's doing much better, and a home health nurse is visiting every other day just to make sure everything is okay.

MIL is doing great on the new medicines. She unfortunately take so many medicines that it is very difficult to get the right combination of heart medicine, long medicine, blood pressure, etc, where it doesn't impact each other. My oldest daughter's fiance is a pharmacist, and we got all of my MIL's health records from her various pulmonary and cardiologist physicians, together with all the medications, and he suggested a couple of changes that really have worked fantastic.

My mom in s a nurse so when grandma (her mother) has questions, we're lucky to have that resource, to make sure what the doctor says makes sense or sometimes she visits the doctor with grandma when she can. I do my best, but that 30+ years of medical experience comes in handy. You're lucky to have a pharmacist there to help.