Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Walmart account hacked

I checked my American Express app because Hertz was doing their normal screwy pre-bill stuff and I just wanted to make sure it worked out correctly. It almost always does, but Hertz is weird sometimes--they'll go ahead and issue my billing rental contract early, showing extra charges for extra hours, and they pre-authorize more than the charge anyway, and I end up with 3 "pending" charges each time. It's not a big deal; it works out in the end, but I have to kind of check it.

Anyway, I noticed a $270 charge to walmart.com "pending."

So I start investigating. Not in my regular inbox, I find a Walmart email to me (my fault--I have a "Vendors" folder so I don't have to look at all the crap stuff they send unless I order something, and I don't look, well, unless I order something. Mistake on my part).

It's an X-box that has been ordered, and the person picking it up is "Joseph Lopez." No telephone number given. It's from my Walmart account.

Here's what saved me.

My AMEX account billing address was incorrect. I didn't realize, I inadvertently changed it when I ordered the last thing.

Talking with Walmart folks, the order was placed from my account, so they told me I needed to immediately change my password.

Funny thing is, the location for it to be picked up was the Walmart I always use. So was the hacker local? Or did they just screw something up? Or was it more nefarious than that--just making that order to see if it worked, and somehow stealing the credit card information?

Re: Walmart account hacked

Somehow my Netflix account got hacked a couple of months ago. I got an email saying someone tried to access my account from Arizona--I didn't think anything of it. Thought it was as likely to be a phishing attempt or a mistake. The next night we have to input our info to access Netflix, and the password I know is correct is no longer correct. Had to call Netflix customer service and regain access to my account, change the password, etc.

I still have no idea how it happened, but I've gone in and changed all my passwords, just to be sure.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

What was that password manager that was recommended here a year or two or three ago?

I want to say it was LastPass, but I'm not sure. I've been reluctant to use one because I can't install it on my work computer, but I may rethink it after this recent episode.

FWIW, here's a recent article from LifeHacker on its recommendations for password managers:

https://lifehacker.com/the-five-best...nagers-5529133

I'd be interested to hear what Pedro, Citizen and others have to say on the subject.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Walmart account hacked

I found I had an account with LastPass I was not using, so I'm going to give it a try. Gotta be better than the crappy haphazard way I'm doing it now.

Walmart account hacked

That BitWarden looks really good from the article you posted. I wonder if I should go that direction instead of LastPass before I get too heavily invested.

I'll probably stick with LastPass.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    That BitWarden looks really good from the article you posted. I wonder if I should go that direction instead of LastPass before I get too heavily invested.

I'll probably stick with LastPass.
    I’ve been using LastPass for over a year now. It’s great and I’m using the free version. I started using it after one of the computer magazines (PC Magazine I think, but am not certain) recommended it. I’m a big fan.