Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Do you place your hand on your heart for the National Anthem?

I don't and neither did Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan called out for not placing hand on heart for national anthem at Dem debate

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tim...-at-dem-debate

I do for the pledge but not the Anthem. Just what I was taught so not an issue with me
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: Do you place your hand on your heart for the National Anthem?

Where I grew up as a kid in the 70s, I didn't and most people around me at events didn't.

That seemed to change in 1979-80 with the Iran hostage crisis, the USA hockey thing and the rebirth of patriotism under Reagan. It seemed more people started putting their hands over their hearts, and I did, too. I still do, but I don't get worked up if someone doesn't--or even if they kneel (though I've never seen that in person). We all have the right to express our feelings in our own way.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

No, not for the National Anthem. Only for the Pledge of Allegiance.
    However, if wearing a cover (that'd be a hat of some sort for you non-military types) I will salute the colors during the National Anthem.

Sometimes I put my hand over my heart, sometimes I don’t. I think it has become more popular than it once was.

Yes I do. I was not trained to do it nor taught not to do it. It just feels right so I do it. I have not said the pledge regularly since I was a scout, but pretty sure I did a few times when I was picked for jury duty.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I once didn’t but from playing a lot of legions and VFW’s over the years got in the habit of it. I wouldn’t likely do so in private

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I don't. When I was a kid I don't recall people doing it much, but it's become a thing over the last several years/decades. You do for the Pledge, but not the anthem. You remove your cover and such of course for either.

But up on a stage running for President? Of course I do it, just so there's no discussion questioning my actions.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

It was always the pledge that had the hand over the heart. Both the pledge and the anthem did require me to stand...
    Last edited by Catonahottinroof; 07-31-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Like I said, always for pledge but not the anthem....although occasionally I do simply because I don't think about it. And of course the hat comes off, and I stand

As for doing it on a presidential debate stage, my opinion is much ado about nothing...and really it is fake news (to take a Trumpism). Sort of created controversy where the agenda set the actions. I hate when either side does it and in my opinion this was a set up to show somebody is un-American when they may in fact not be (or is that a double negative???)
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I once didn’t but from playing a lot of legions and VFW’s over the years got in the habit of it. I wouldn’t likely do so in private
    As a kid, I would stand when it was played on the TV, like before sporting events, etc.. So if a ball game was on TV and it came on, I stood in the living room. I'm not sure what I would have done in the olden days when they played it when the TV programming went off at 1:00am. Nowdays that doesn't happen. It goes to infomercial.

Last edited by Doc; 07-31-2019 at 02:35 PM.

I try not to judge since I have been preoccupied before and forgotten to display manners or what is considered proper respect. Im normally one of those guys who rushes to hold a door for a lady or to pick up something dropped. Often times embarrassing both them and myself.

And then again I may mentally be in another world and let a door close on a gentile, elderly, one arm, widow carrying her cane and a grocery bag in the rain. Most people would always do whats right I think, but some of us are more spacey than others.

Especially us old dudes from the seventies..flashbacks and all.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. I always remove my hat, stand and shut my mouth. I have always wondered why women do not remove their hats like us men do.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

I stand at attention with my hands behind my back if not wearing a hat. If wearing a hat, I remove the hat and place it on my heart.

I also stand at attention during My Old Kentucky Home extending my index finger to the sky with "We will sing ONE song..."

I was a pall bearer at my Aunts funeral many years ago. An aunt I loved very much.

My cousin and I saw something crazy and started the kind of laughing that you cannot control just as we were starting to place her coffin in the hearse We were red faced with laughter all the way to the burial

It just couldn’t be helped.
    Last edited by kingcat; 08-01-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Not that it is important, but I did want to make one clarification to my OP. I did not serve in the nations military so I do not salute the flag, but I place my hand over my heart and watch the flag when the anthem is played. I guess it is my way of showing respect for the flag.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Take off hat, though I rarely wear one. 50/50 for hand on heart.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I don't and neither did Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan called out for not placing hand on heart for national anthem at Dem debate

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tim...-at-dem-debate

I do for the pledge but not the Anthem. Just what I was taught so not an issue with me
    I do. Didn't always. My Dad always did. Somewhere along the way I changed. I believe it was out of respect for him and my uncles who served in WWII.

Speaking of the Anthem and TV sigh off. Does anyone remember WHAS TV's sign off? They played MOKH with pictures of the swans swimming at Cave Hill Cemetery. I would stay up late just to watch.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    I do. Didn't always. My Dad always did. Somewhere along the way I changed. I believe it was out of respect for him and my uncles who served in WWII.

Speaking of the Anthem and TV sigh off. Does anyone remember WHAS TV's sign off? They played MOKH with pictures of the swans swimming at Cave Hill Cemetery. I would stay up late just to watch.
    I remember that.

I had a music video in the early eighties that signed on and closed WHAS TV for two years called Kentucky Bluegrass on my mind.
    All Kentucky scenery, Bluegrass, horse farms, horses running, and a very lovely lady. They produced it to my music.
    It also played throughout the day on Derby Day and other occasions.

I'll see if I can dig up the 3/4 inch tape, change the format and and upload it one day.

We ended up in contract litigation over it's extended use and finally settled out of court. I supposedly own the exclusive rights to it now.
    Last edited by kingcat; 08-04-2019 at 10:54 AM.

I was taught that the placing the hand on the heart for the pledge was like placing the hand on the bible for an oath. Same deal. You are "pledging your allegiance" to the country, where as a national anthem is just the song that represents the country. That is why I don't get bothered about the kneeling junk. IMO it makes the kneeler look like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I was taught that the placing the hand on the heart for the pledge was like placing the hand on the bible for an oath. Same deal. You are "pledging your allegiance" to the country, where as a national anthem is just the song that represents the country. That is why I don't get bothered about the kneeling junk. IMO it makes the kneeler look like an idiot.
    Exactly how I feel. I guess it's the influence of the 1968 Olympic podium protests minus the Black power thing.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I remember that.

I had a music video in the early eighties that signed on and closed WHAS TV for two years called Kentucky Bluegrass on my mind.
    All Kentucky scenery, Bluegrass, horse farms, horses running, and a very lovely lady. They produced it to my music.
    It also played throughout the day on Derby Day and other occasions.

I'll see if I can dig up the 3/4 inch tape, change the format and and upload it one day.

We ended up in contract litigation over it's extended use and finally settled out of court. I supposedly own the exclusive rights to it now.
    That’s cool!
    Real Fan since 1958

Yes. It’s for the flag.