Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Indoor TV Antenna options

Hey guys! Do any of you have an indoor TV antenna instead of cable and if so, what do you recommend? I see there's some new things on the market that plug in to an outlet, etc. If any of you have had success, can you please share the product name that you are using?

Thanks

Peace

Richard (CW)

Rupp's Runt

Went with YouTube TV. You get locals with it and cheaper than cable. I can pick up Nashville, Bowling Green, and Evansville with a quality antenna setup but the initial cost just isn't worth it. If I lived in a city maybe. My brother in law does this. Works well for him.

I did drop YouTube TV over the summer. Have not yet decided what I want to do this fall. They did raise their price and we just do not watch enough TV to pay for anything really.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Re: Indoor TV Antenna options

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    Hey guys! Do any of you have an indoor TV antenna instead of cable and if so, what do you recommend? I see there's some new things on the market that plug in to an outlet, etc. If any of you have had success, can you please share the product name that you are using?

Thanks

Peace

Richard (CW)

I’ve never found an indoor antenna that performed as advertised. I’ve had good luck with outdoor antennas with boosters.

My late brother-in-law got one like this to use at his farmhouse across the road from me. We live 90 miles from Lexington and he picked up Lexington stations. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-A...-UHF/292281851

Rupp's Runt

Should add that my brother-in-law lives south of Bowling Green. So he is probably 50 miles or so from Nashville.

If you are close enough that an Omni antenna will get what you want, it will work great. If not, the cost probably isn't worth it.

Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Should add that my brother-in-law lives south of Bowling Green. So he is probably 50 miles or so from Nashville.

If you are close enough that an Omni antenna will get what you want, it will work great. If not, the cost probably isn't worth it.
    More expensive outdoor antennas are less than $100, a $100 investment can be recouped in no time given subscription rates for cable, satellite, etc.

I know people who jailbreak these, or have someone do it, and view everything for free.
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 07-29-2019 at 11:33 AM.

I bought a Mohu Leaf antenna and the antenna itself works well.

What's really important is where in the house you're putting it. In our house, north side of house on the ground or top floors worked best; south side of house on the ground floor worked next worst. South side in the basement worked the worst. Because of visible wires and location of the antenna, Spousal Acceptance Factor was low for every location except the one where the antenna worked the worst. We still get 4-5 channels there compared to 10-12 in the best location.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I know people who jailbreaks these, or have someone do it, and view everything for free.
    https://kinkeadtech.com/fire-tv-sticks-kodi-hacked/
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Rupp's Runt

More expensive outdoor antennas are less than $100, a $100 investment can be recouped in no time given subscription rates for cable, satellite, etc.
    Yes, but again it is about location. Add an amp, booster, rotor, and depending on elevation for mounting. You can spend several hundred really quick. My parents setup is about $1,000.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Yes, but again it is about location. Add an amp, booster, rotor, and depending on elevation for mounting. You can spend several hundred really quick. My parents setup is about $1,000.
    The one I linked is about $40 and includes a rotor, booster is $20, by the time you add cabling and mounting you are still looking at well under $200 for DIY.

Rupp's Runt

The one I linked is about $40 and includes a rotor, booster is $20, by the time you add cabling and mounting you are still looking at well under $200 for DIY.
    I'm not saying it can't be done cheap and well worth it. I'm just saying it can get pricey as well.

Thanks guys for your feedback. We have Spectrum for our main lines, but just looking for an antenna to use for our spare bedroom to get a few channels without having to go with Spectrum. I am honestly considering an outside antenna and firestick to get rid of spectrum for good.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    Thanks guys for your feedback. We have Spectrum for our main lines, but just looking for an antenna to use for our spare bedroom to get a few channels without having to go with Spectrum. I am honestly considering an outside antenna and firestick to get rid of spectrum for good.

Peace

Richard (CW)
    https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime-6/

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk