Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where wer you 50 years ago today?

I was a 5 year old, at my aunts house in Auburn NY
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: Where wer you 50 years ago today?

13 years old here at home in Radcliff Ky. More specifically, probably in the bathroom, ughh..reading

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

On the farm on hwy 79, 5 miles north of Russellville. Had just finished milking and feeding the cows and putting the milk in the 10 gallon cans. Might have already hauled the cans from the barn to the back yard under the apple tree where the 300 gallon water tank sat under the tree with a water hose running 55 degree well water into the tank. This cooled the milk and kept it from spoiling over night before I hauled it to the road the next morning to be picked up by the cheese company. 4 hours earlier I was probably leaving the tobacco patch from doing something. Once you got tobacco set, after the first 21 days there was always something one could be doing in the 3 acre patch until the day it went to the barn.

The next year Mom and Dad sold the farm and we moved to town. I still did farm work in the late spring and summer, but I did not have to milk cows twice a day 365 days a year.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post

The next year Mom and Dad sold the farm and we moved to town. I still did farm work in the late spring and summer, but I did not have to milk cows twice a day 365 days a year.
    I bet that was udderly tiresome!

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Flatwoods, KY. 12 years old so probably playing Wiffleball or baseball.
    Last edited by badrose; 07-16-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Inwas sleeping. Parents woke me up to watch TV
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    13 years old here at home in Radcliff Ky. More specifically, probably in the bathroom, ughh..reading

You blind??

I was ten, we were living in Paducah. Later in the morning Rolling Hills CC like most week days in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 07-16-2019 at 10:49 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

I was working my summer job at the Indiana Army Ammunition Plant. I was in the Poach House operating 8 vats of slurry. I worked a rotating schedule, so that week I was off the day of the launch, but Sunday Night when Armstrong landed on the moon, I was driving back home from work listening to the reports on radio. Family held the champaigne toast until I arrived.
    Real Fan since 1958

I guess my mom and dad could have been attempting to conceive me as I was born the next March.

One of my big regrets is I didn't get to see Armstrong on the moon live. I loved all of the Apollo stuff, but I was only 5 and didn't have a grasp on when it was actually happening and my parents weren't into it. So I learned about it the next day.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

I watched it live, on TV, with my Mother in our living room.
    I knew that we were watching history happen before our very eyes, and I am so thankful that I was able to share the experience with my Mom.

BTW, contingency plan and draft speech for President Nixon in the event of a moon landing disaster:

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/stat...44135641014272
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Oh, and a good Twitter account for all this: Relive Apollo 11, "live tweeting" the mission in "real time" for the corresponding day and time:

https://twitter.com/ReliveApollo11

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    You blind??
    Come to think of it, my eyes are pretty bad. My wrist and forearm is still strong as ever though. From leather scissor use that is.

I was a month away from turning five, and recall seeing some of the coverage on TV.

When I started school I did rock this lunchbox commemorating Apollo 11.

CDFFE0BD-88D5-4BE3-BEA1-A4040FC1D8EB.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    I guess my mom and dad could have been attempting to conceive me as I was born the next March.
    "THE EAGLE HAS LANDED"

Sorry to be “that guy,” but I was about negative 4 years old at the time.

In fact, nobody has walked on the moon in my lifetime, as the last person who did so accomplished it in 1972. I just realized that.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Sorry to be “that guy,” but I was about negative 4 years old at the time.

In fact, nobody has walked on the moon in my lifetime, as the last person who did so accomplished it in 1972. I just realized that.
    According to some, nobody has walked on the moon in my lifetime either

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    BTW, contingency plan and draft speech for President Nixon in the event of a moon landing disaster:

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Wow.
    X100

Pretty powerful, and thought provoking had it turned into a tragedy. I was saddened reading it, while also being jubilant because of the magnitude of the feat.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

So 50 years ago today, I remember we were boating and left early to get home to watch the moon landing.

We were living in Paducah and typically either went to Barclay or Kentucky Lake, but IIRC we put in downtown Paducah on the Ohio/TN River... which was much closer to home.

Last edited by blueboss; 07-24-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Swimming

Or maybe not
    Last edited by Doc; 07-20-2019 at 04:50 PM.

If that’s the girlfriend I am guessing not swimming!

...at 10 years old, it was pretty “neat” but I remember my parents being very excited and even amazed about the whole deal. I would later understand why.

Later we got to stay up late to watch the walk...

Rupp's Runt

I remember what my Mom said to me about the lunar landing and walk.
    She commented on how they used to get the news by sitting around the radio. And then television came along. She said she was amazed that we were actually witnessing all of this as it was happening.
    She told me that just 20 years prior no one even thought about space flight, much less flying to and putting men on the moon.
    She said that the world was growing and moving fast, and that we always had to remember who we are and that moving forward things would happen quickly.
    There was a lot more said.
    It was one of the best times I had with my Mom. Oh, here were many, many others, for sure, but this was just us, and it was so special to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Swimming

Or maybe not
    She seems a little old for a five year old.

I was negative 8 years old still stuck somewhere between my dad’s 13 year old mind and his groin.

I watched the moon landing on vacation visiting family in Hollywood Florida. I recall sodas were not allowed in their house and all I could drink was water or a small glass of beer. Seriously. They were the original Armstrong’s Worldwide Church of God members.

He was found later to not be living exactly like his flock and the church split. They were not allowed to visit any doctor except for a broken bone or the like and no blood transfusions or preventive medicines.

Armstrong got sick and had a revelation.. after it was discovered he had had a transfusion
    Last edited by kingcat; 07-23-2019 at 01:11 PM.

It's funny, I remember it on television, but only vaguely. I must have been living in Hopkinsville, but I don't even recall exactly the television. I know we were all watching it together, but I don't really remember it. That's very sad for me, because I was old enough to remember, at the ripe old age of 9 years old.