Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

MS. boss’s Current Plight

I usually don’t post things of this nature, but I thought this time I could use a spiritual shoulder.

Upon our return from two weeks in FL Ms. boss came down with bronchitis, which ended up escalating into pneumonia in both lungs. After battling it, and a five night stay in the hospital she has spent the last 3-4 weeks recovering and regaining her strength.

She finally started feeling back to normal and to relieve some cabin fever she decided to get out for a little bit. Her sister picked her up to go do a little shopping, after hitting a couple of stores they proceeded to get in a fairly serious auto accident.

Ms. boss ended up with a broken collar bone, wrist, and mangled pinky. So today we’re back at the hospital having surgery to repair hand, wrist, pinky. Good news is, as those of you who are in or around the Louisville area know we have world renowned Kleinert & Kutz hand surgeons group located here.

We actually drew Dr Tien who was part of the team that performed two ground breaking hand transplants a few years back. The repair/surgery went well, pins in pinky which will come out in 5-6 weeks. As for the wrist, she got a plate and screws which will be permanent, and not going to be removed.

Kind of good news, bad news, on one hand (pun alert) the pinky, and wrist are repaired and on the mend which is a load off of our minds knowing it’s repaired. On the other hand ( there it is again) her collarbone, which as I mentioned, is broken and there isn’t much you can do other than keep it immobilized.

... the rub is, keeping her shoulder to chest area immobilized, while trying to move her arm to shoulder area to keep from getting stiff.

We also have to keep her lungs healthy so she doesn’t get bronchitis again which could potentially turn into pneumonia. In order to keep her lungs healthy she has to do deep breathing and coughing exercises which with a broken collarbone is pretty uncomfortable (hurts like hell).

Later tonight the block they did on her right arm to repair the hand and wrist will wear off and she’ll probably be in a good deal of pain in her hand and wrist area, not to mention the discomfort with the collarbone, all while doing lung exercises, and elbow and shoulder movements.

So that’s why I thought I might mention Mrs. boss’s plight, and the need for a spiritual shoulder.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 07-08-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: MS. boss’s Current Plight

Lord, you know the situation of our Sister.
    I pray for you to send Your healing touch to alleviate that pain, or give her the strength to tolerate it.
    Strengthen our Brother as he is in an unenviable position of seeing a loved one in pain that he would rather have placed on himself.
    I do this in the most precious name of Jesus, Father.
    Amen.

Blueboss, my heart breaks for you as I know if it was Grammy I would absolutely be destroyed.
    If you need anything, just say the word...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Lord, you know the situation of our Sister.
    I pray for you to send Your healing touch to alleviate that pain, or give her the strength to tolerate it.
    Strengthen our Brother as he is in an unenviable position of seeing a loved one in pain that he would rather have placed on himself.
    I do this in the most precious name of Jesus, Father.
    Amen.

Blueboss, my heart breaks for you as I know if it was Grammy I would absolutely be destroyed.
    If you need anything, just say the word...
    Amen

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

She is gonna need your shoulder to lean on and the knowledge that you will be there 24-7 to help her thru this.

God bless you both, and my prayers for her speedy recovery.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Fab Five

It's clearly your fault.
    Real Fan since 1958

Prayers for your wife and you, blueboss. If there's any good news out of this, it's that she had Kutz & Kleinert, as you said. Hang in there, and attack that physical therapy when the time comes.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Prayers for your wife and you, blueboss. If there's any good news out of this, it's that she had Kutz & Kleinert, as you said. Hang in there, and attack that physical therapy when the time comes.
    I had severe hand burns around twenty years ago that at first seemed to mean losing much of my hand. K and K treated me absent surgery for three months and I’m still pickin’ and grinning’

I was ten minutes from surgery when they intervened at the hospital and asked to see me. Had they operated I believe I may have not been so lucky

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I read the above posts to Mrs. boss, a little earlier and we shared both a tear and a chuckle.

Sometimes in the heat of the football and basketball seasons she throws a bit of shade my way about why I’m constantly on my phone talking about “sports junk”

She now has a better understanding of why I blather on this board.

Feeling stronger already...

Thanks!!!!

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Prayers for both of you guys.
    My goodness, plight indeed! 🙏

Prayers for you, blueboss.

As a side note, I dictate most of my posts, especially on my phone. Every time I say blueboss it comes out as blue balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Prayers for you, blueboss.

As a side note, I dictate most of my posts, especially on my phone. Every time I say blueboss it comes out as blue balls.
    Thanks for the thoughts, Ms blueboss (balls) has been very appreciative of all the well wishes.

A few years ago I was telling my father about the board and how you log in. He asked me what name I was using, when I told him I was “blueboss”’he thought I said the same thing.

As for dictating and auto spell, doesn’t it usually follow trends of words/phrases previously/commonly used?

Fab Five

Thanks for the update. Continued best wishes and prayers to you and the real boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I read the above posts to Mrs. boss, a little earlier and we shared both a tear and a chuckle.

Sometimes in the heat of the football and basketball seasons she throws a bit of shade my way about why I’m constantly on my phone talking about “sports junk”

She now has a better understanding of why I blather on this board.

Feeling stronger already...

Thanks!!!!

Real Fan since 1958

Quick update...

After a couple of bumpy days with post op pain this morning the Mrs. says the pain is starting to subside.

Collarbone is still providing discomfort, but she is using a pillow to hold firmly against the injured area while doing deep breathing therapy/coughing to help keep her lungs healthy.

New concern after follow up w/ her GP is actually bruising on some veins in her chest, so now we have a vascular MD scheduled, which to me is good news in the fact that the area is being addressed.

... bottom line, there’s a light just up ahead, still a ways to go though.

Prayers continue for Mrs. Boss.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Thanks again guys, Ms. boss is improving little by little, day by day. The post op pain is lightening up. The collar bone is still pretty uncomfortable, but her RX’s are keeping the bronchial stuff in check... she’s on the mend, after a rough couple of weeks...

As for me, I can sleep when I’m dead.

Bless her heart. And I feel sorry for myself for a little bum thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Bless her heart. And I feel sorry for myself for a little bum thumb.
    From the xrays you showed that was no “little” thumb thing.

The Mrs. has, I think three pins in her pinky, but the big thing and I guess why it so painful after surgery was everything they had to do to put all back in place before they pinned it.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    From the xrays you showed that was no “little” thumb thing.

The Mrs. has, I think three pins in her pinky, but the big thing and I guess why it so painful after surgery was everything they had to do to put all back in place before they pinned it.

My surgeon, called it manipulation. Funny story.

After breaking my wrist I go to a UK party at the SEC Headquarters Bldg. I get back from getting a beverage and am standing next to a door. A woman I don’t recognize comes up to me and says “Didn’t you have your cast on the other arm?” I said “no, this is the one I broke”. About that time one of my UK friends from Montgomery comes through the door with his right arm in a sling. It was all we could do to convince the woman it wasn’t a prank. We both broke our wrists the same week.

Fortunately for me, my wrist was manipulated with me asleep. As for my friend, he waited 3 days before going to the doctor. His doctor asked him to shake hands with him. Doctor grabbed arm with both hands and he manipulated it on the spot. Friend’s wife said you could hear the screaming in the waiting room.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    My surgeon, called it manipulation. Funny story.

After breaking my wrist I go to a UK party at the SEC Headquarters Bldg. I get back from getting a beverage and am standing next to a door. A woman I don’t recognize comes up to me and says “Didn’t you have your cast on the other arm?” I said “no, this is the one I broke”. About that time one of my UK friends from Montgomery comes through the door with his right arm in a sling. It was all we could do to convince the woman it wasn’t a prank. We both broke our wrists the same week.

Fortunately for me, my wrist was manipulated with me asleep. As for my friend, he waited 3 days before going to the doctor. His doctor asked him to shake hands with him. Doctor grabbed arm with both hands and he manipulated it on the spot. Friend’s wife said you could hear the screaming in the waiting room.
    I had a similar deal, I broke my hand when I was younger, had no insurance and all that. I had a pretty good friend that was a GP, who sent me to a friend of his who I actually, vaguely knew. He was a pretty good hand guy, and he told me he’d try to save me some money and try to “manually manipulate” the bones back in place to avoid the high cost of surgery.

He had me lay on my back on the table, and extended my arm on one of those table extensions. This where it gets good, he numbed my arm from the elbow down with a few shots directly to the elbow area. Then he instructed his nurse, who also happened to be his attractive daughter to lay across my chest. I kind of questioned what/why, and he explained that I might experience some “discomfort” as he attempted to “manually manipulate” the bones back in place and he didn’t want me to jump/jerk around.

He then put his thumbs side by side and started pressing the bones in place by smashing with his thumbs on the back of my hand. His nurse/attractive daughter went for quite a ride holding me down, “discomfort” didn’t come close to the excruciating pain I went through. Plus I could literally feel and hear the bones crunching as he continued “manually manipulating” the bones back in place.

He did this after hours and his office was connected to a hospital via a corridor. After he got done “manually manipulating the bones he put a sling on my arm and instructed me to take the elevator down to B1 (basement 1) and take the corridor all the way to the end until I saw a sign for the X-ray department. The corridor was literally like a half a mile long. X-ray took the pictures, then I had to wait for them to develop them and then carry them back down the corridor so the Dr could evaluate how he had done “manually manipulating” the bones.... all this with just a local.

Once I got back with the x-rays, he exclaimed “damn I’m good” explaining everything looked good and now he was going to put a pin in to hold the bones in place. He instructed nurse/attractive daughter to again lay across my chest, while he inserted the pin. He took out what looked like an old time carpenters drill with a hand crank, attached a pin and proceeded to crank the handle on the drill, drilling the pin through the side of my hand length ways the width of the back of my hand. I could feel the pin drilling in from bone to bone, again the nurse/attractive daughter went for quite a ride. After he was done inserting the pin it was back down the corridor to X-ray to see if he got the pin inserted correctly. It was the longest most excruciating walk I ever had in my life.

After getting the pictures and walking back down the half mile corridor he again held them up to light and laughed and said “damn I’m good, let’s get some plaster on this thing”.

He told me it would take 6-8 weeks to heal, and he’d take the pin out. He said “you’ll know when the pin is ready to come out”...

... that’s a whole other story, but I can tell you this, I have never gone without insurance since.

Dude, you're really good at telling stories. We want more!
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

I just read this - continued best wishes to Mrs. Boss. Dealing with you, now this situation, is more than anyone should have to endure.

Seriously, best wishes and keep taking care of her.

Follow up at the hand surgeon today, he was very pleased with how everything looks. So much so he doesn’t feel a need to see her for another four weeks. Happily, Ms boss’s pinky/wrist is on the mend

The collarbone is still pretty painful, but her lungs are staying reasonably healthy. Even with the pain associated with the deep breathing exercises to ward off any further lung ailments, along with the coughing that comes with the exercises she seems to be managing it as well as one would expect. So that’s improving too.

She’s even backed off of the pain RX’s to about half of what was prescribed. She is still limited with her mobility and what she can do but at least it’s all going in the right direction.

As for me, I’ve gained a whole new appreciation for all she did that I guess I took for granted. With the day to day running of the household chores alone wears me out. Throw in the job and my normal yard work, along with running the sick bay, well, I haven’t been to the insomnia thread lately.

Thanks again for all the thoughts, prayers and kind words...

Very tough road for her, and keeping her (and you) in my thoughts and prayers during her recovery.

Even when she's doing better, recovery is tough for all of those things, and it will be frustrating and difficult for all of you. We will keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers for sure.

That is great news on the hand. Collarbone is a core injury and is bound to be painful for a longer period of time. Depending on where the break is, there may be a visible knot where the healing takes place. I still have a know on mine from a break when I was 16.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Continued best wishes for you both.