Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: One year ago yesterday, my brother called me

One year ago yesterday, my brother called me

To let me know that my dad passed away unexpectedly on the 4th of July. To those who knew Richard Cartwright, a more appropriate date for passing could not be found.

Dad was a US Navy veteran of the Korean War, and a fierce patriot. He was blessed with a quick wit, and a keen mind, and with little formal education beyond Hickman High School, was still one of the smartest men I knew.

While in high school, Dad was the poet laureate for his high school, and he carried that enjoyment of writing poetry and short stories throughout his life. In his later years, he began to collect them with the idea of one day publishing them in a book. He wasn't seeking to make any money, just wanted to do it.

One of his step-grandchildren taught English, and had some connections in the publishing industry. She collected the poems she could find, and on the one year anniversary of his passing, announced the book was ready to publish. It will be nearly 500 pages long, and there will be just one printing, but family and friends are lining up to get a copy. I will make sure that I get copies for all of my children, and give them a copy Merry Christmas. Dad never missed a birthday or giving a Christmas gift, although material things were wholly unimportant to him, and he was as scatterbrained and forgetful as a man can be. After mom died, we were positive that he would no longer send the cards and gifts, because she always kept him straight. Somehow, he managed. In any event, the children got a special Christmas ornament this past Christmas from him, and this year they will get his book.

Screenshot_20190705-150525__01.jpg

Priceless...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: One year ago yesterday, my brother called me

Precious gifts.

To leave something like that behind is such a blessing both for you all and your Father. Somehow, it seems slightly more than a memory or tribute, because it's something tangible that comes from your Dads heart.
    And you can hold it in your hands and read it.

Let me just say, I can really relate Darrell. Thanks.

And our thanks to Mr. Cartwright for not only this, but for raising up our good friend who honors you here today.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

That is completely awesome. Having such a legacy is a true gift.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I may way out of line here on so many different levels, but after reading the above posts the first thing that came to mind was a Kingcat/Cartwright collaboration.

I apologize if this is out of line, it is not meant to detract from either artists God given abilities. If my ignorance offends, again I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Darrell, please let your offspring know that there is an old man in KY that considers them to be very fortunate to have something like this to carry with them thru life. I wish my daughter and her children had something left to them from my father. He was far from being a poet and did not take the interest in nor the time to write a daily journal. He adored my daughter, but she never got to see that as Alzheimers turned him into a mean introverted man that did not have the ability any longer to show his granddaughter the love he had for her It made me very sad to watch her try to be his granddaughter to only have him treat her with scorn. She never got to see what was in his mind pre disease and that has saddened me to this day.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Truly awesome, Darrell!

Fab Five

I missed this thread over the holiday. What a great remembrance.
    Real Fan since 1958