Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Italy

Italy

Well guys the big vacation this year is going to Italy and spending 10 days exploring the country.
    Waiting as I type in the Detroit airport to head to Rome.

We start our venture in Venice, on to Florence, next Rome and finishing in Sorrento.

Will give my thoughts when we return in early July.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Re: Italy

Have a great trip! Love to hear about it and see pics when you return.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Well guys the big vacation this year is going to Italy and spending 10 days exploring the country.
    Waiting as I type in the Detroit airport to head to Rome.

We start our venture in Venice, on to Florence, next Rome and finishing in Sorrento.

Will give my thoughts when we return in early July.
    Keep us posted. Tuscany is on my bucket list.
    Real Fan since 1958

Northern 2/3 of the country are beautiful and the people are gracious and friendly or at least they were 30 years ago. I probably got within 20 miles of Rome, but did not venture that far south.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Safe travel and may God Bless your trip...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

You're leaving beautiful Detroit to go to nasty old Italy? Weird.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Italy

May be too late for a heads up, but Europe is in the grips of a heat wave... unseasonably higher temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Been there twice and really enjoyed it. Have a great time! Look forward to your thoughts upon your return. Safe travels!

On Friday, extreme highs up to 43C are possible in southern France, northeast Spain and northern Italy. This would break June heat records.

Hit the water parks, catmanjack!

Hey, I'm from Alabama. That's what we do.

Just FWIW--43 C = 109.4 Fahrenheit. That's no kidding, hot. Hopefully they miss their projections.

Another tid bit, most places in that part of that part of the world had not installed cooling equipment in their businesses, homes, hotels, etc. when I was there, and I have been told that has not changed.
    seeya
    dan

If in Rome, be very bery alert. Pick pickets everywhere, especially on mass transit. I had an attempt on mine, grabbed the guys hand before he pulled it. Got off the train and found 2 empty wallets on the platform. Also, the hunched up crippled woman is a constant scam. We saw many, including one walking home normally after here shift outide the Colliseum.

Rome is one of the cities that has tons of tourist sites, probably too many to see in one trip. If possible, do a private tour of the Vatican. The group tours rush you thru. Looking you can find educated people who will do small group tours ( not the big bus that picks you up, drops you off with a "guide", then 2 hrs later pcis you up).
    Our favorite place in Rome was Piazza Navone but we went at Christmas when there is a huge market/festival there
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Another tid bit, most places in that part of that part of the world had not installed cooling equipment in their businesses, homes, hotels, etc. when I was there, and I have been told that has not changed.
    I was reading this Twitter exchange about Europeans' view of air conditioning (no, I don't have a life) and learned that somewhere between 20,000-70,000 Europeans died during a heat wave in 2003. Still, many people there apparently view AC suspiciously and a sign that Americans are decadent. Sure.

To the subject, I studied Latin way back when and get giddy whenever I see anything Roman, so going to Rome is a long-time dream of mine. And Mrs. BEvans wants to visit Tuscany. And we both want to see the Cinque Terre. So please come back and give us a report on your adventure when you return.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 06-27-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I was reading this Twitter exchange about Europeans' view of air conditioning (no, I don't have a life) and learned that somewhere between 20,000-70,000 Europeans died during a heat wave in 2003. Still, many people there apparently view AC suspiciously and a sign that Americans are decadent. Sure.
    Let them live through a proper Southern summer with no AC and, if they don't die from dehydration or suicide, and don't go insane, ask them how decadent it is to have one of the greatest inventions of mankind in your home. lol.

seriously, many surveys and polls and rankings put AC in the top 50 inventions of mankind. When I bought our house it had no AC, and the first summer we didn't even have a window unit. It was misery to work on that house all day on a weekend then not be able to cool off. I got a window unit so we could have one cool room.

From what I know many europeans also must consider deodorant decadent as well.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

God Bless Willis Carrier and his descendants..
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Rupp's Runt

Most French & Germans seem to have adverse reactions to using soap & water too.
    At least that's how it was when I was stationed in Germany when I was in the Army. But they have little aversion to perfume & cologne. Ahhhhhh, the aroma of perfume & cologne mixed with the stench of two-week old body odor! 😲

seeya
    dan