Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirement thoughts

Retirement thoughts

ESPN's Bob Ley, a guy I respect among sports journalists, is retiring after 40 years:

https://twitter.com/BobLeyESPN/statu...74316041371650

It got me thinking about retirement and wondering what everybody here had in mind when they retired, or what you're thinking about when and how you might retire in the future.

I used to think it would be a long time, if ever, before I retired. I have a relatively low stress job, it's intellectually rewarding, I work with colleagues who challenge me to bring my A game. And I get a lot of time off every year, so I can recharge my batteries fairly regularly.

But I had this accident last year and a lot of time off. It made me realize man makes plans and God chuckles at our arrogance. Plus Mrs. BEvans and I spent a few days down at The Villages in April to see if it was someplace we might consider for a warm-weather retirement destination in the future. Living a few days like a retiree is something I'd never done before (it felt different from a vacation) and I really liked it. So whereas before my accident I saw myself working indefinitely, perhaps forever, it now looks like something I could do, and maybe sooner rather than later. I'm in my mid 50s now and could see giving it serious consideration in my early-mid 60s.

So wondering of those of you have who have retired, what your thinking was and how you like it. For those who are kind of in my shoes (getting to a "certain age" where it starts looking more real), what you're thinking about when/where/how you will retire.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 06-26-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: Retirement thoughts

Well, I have a bit of similarity to your situation. I had to take disability in June of 2015 and it has taken just short of 4 years for all the legal wheels to churn out the Social Security judgement and all that goes with it. My wife and I sold our home in Brandenburg (Doe Valley) in April and in the process of purchasing a condo in Naples Florida. I didn’t get to my retirement place/time in my life because of disability. However, my wife and I have decided we would move to our retirement destination a bit early to enjoy life while we have the opportunity to do so. It will change our vacation patterns back towards home now, but other than that we are full steam ahead to enjoy life a little earlier than anticipated.
    Last edited by Catonahottinroof; 06-26-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Rupp's Runt

Not sure I'll ever give up working, but hope to do what I want to around 60. Farm, mow yards, work at golf course, etc...what ever really....to mainly help fund some travel. Especially hope I can move to a 10-12 month contract here around age 55.

I'd like spend 2-4 weeks on a warm beach during February. 1-2 weeks seeing places I've never been. And a lot of my free time going to wherever my girls are at once they are grown.

Fab Five

Focus on what gives you pleasure. For me it is kids, grandkids, and following the Cats. It’s who I am. I decided not to invest in beach property. I am 4 hours away. I can live there 1 month a year for the next 20 years for a lot less money than it would take to purchase. I love the beach, but that’s enough. Going to Lexington and being around kids and grandkids for a week every month keeps me connected with what’s important. And there is fun associated with getting together with daughter and SIL a couple of times a week here in the Ham. These things are what pleasure me. I have great friends in Kentucky and Alabama and they add great pleasure to my life.

But, above all, do what makes you happy. Nothing else matters. Do not do what someone else expects you to do. Best wishes and Good Luck.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 06-26-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    I decided not to invest in beach property. I am 4 hours away. I can live there 1 month a year for the next 20 years for a lot less money than it would take to purchase. I love the beach, but that’s enough.
    Yep, thought hard about buying a condo a few years ago and let it help pay for itself. Just did not seem worth it for the money. Plus being tied to one location seems less exciting as I get older.

Retirement thoughts

I want to get my pilot's license, buy a plane, and continue working but being very selective with what I do. I have a job that allows me to do that if I choose. Unfortunately, I'm in nowhere near any position to retire yet, anyway. So I guess it's a good thing that I have no desire to retire at this point. My dad worked until he was 80, and then retired. I see myself much in that same vein, but hopefully operating on a reduced schedule and being very selective many years before that.

Oh, I should add that I like the beach, but much like Mick, could not justify having a place there. A month would be a long time for me, and in reality, more like two weeks at a time a couple times a year would be plenty.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 06-26-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Probably will never work out for me, but I would love to retire in the spot in this video. Western NC mountains, and the video does a very poor job of capturing the beauty of the place.

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Couldn't have guessed, dan...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Got retired. Was I ready? No. I think you have to retire TO something. TO what I’m still puzzling out

I want to retire and become a movie critic. The trouble is I only want to watch movies I know I will like.

But I agree on the grand kids thing. I could hang with them every day.

As far as retirement, I'll have to work until I cant get around anymore to supplement what little we will draw in retirement.
    Last edited by kingcat; 06-26-2019 at 10:11 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Retirement thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Got retired. Was I ready? No. I think you have to retire TO something. TO what I’m still puzzling out
    I think that's solid advice. Have no doubt you'll find yours, though.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    As far as retirement, I'll have to work until I cant get around anymore to supplement what little we will draw in retirement.
    I feel the same. I hope I can retire and work how I want. But I'm not sure many in my generation will really retire.

I'll never completely stop working. I'd be bored to death.

But I'd like to do free lance work from my boat docked in the Keys. that's my retirement plan right now. Right now it's 90/10 work and life. Would like to get that to 70/30 life/work maybe, with that 70 broken out evenly between sitting at bars and everything else.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

In all honesty, I will more than likely work until they throw dirt in my face...
    I have a type AAA personality.
    I also recognize the symptoms of what they call ADHD, but in my day you were just a brat, an overactive child or your mother just wore it out of you, if you know what I mean and believe me, today that little Baptist preacher's daughter would be on death row for some of the spankings I got.
    Just can't be still...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

One more school year and I will have enough time in the school district to retire. I think when I do retire I’ll sub a few days a week to supplement the income. Summers give me an opportunity to practice being retired. The youngest grandchild will be a year old in July and I’ve spent a lot of time with her this month. I also plan to get our detached garage insulated and put some heat in it to do some woodworking.

Rupp's Runt

I was going to retire to the Philippines, with the idea that we could look after my bride's parents. Unfortunately, they have both preceded us into the afterlife, and that beachfront property that we purchased is no longer needed.
    So we're going to sell it( it was a fantastic investment though, worth over three times what we originally paid for it! ) and buy something up around Titusville, as my bride as taken employment in Brevard County, and it would get us a lot closer to our daughter in Orlando.
    I'm going to retire from the Sheriff's Office at the end of next year.

I was fortunate to have a business partner who planned early which forced me to do the same. Sold my practice just over 3 years ago and now debate retirement frequently...mostly due to having to work for somebody else. However we have started the physical preparations as we are in the permit process for our house in Colorado, expected to be completed by Dec of 2020. At 56 years of age, I hope I still have plenty of time and activity left. My ultimate "plan" is to work sparingly just to keep me sharp. Most likely look for 4-6 month working a year. Will keep FL residence (for tax purposes) and split time between FL, where I will work, and CO where I will play (since I don't have a CO license)
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Always enjoy these threads on retirement and how to retire(money talk).
    I have come to the conclusion that I will probably never get to retire and am ok with that so I try to enjoy life as much as possible at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Couldn't have guessed, dan...
    Pappy I re ceived an email from a friend that lives there letting me know that Joye's Pancake House had reopened and get this, the new owner is from Lexington and he visited the town once, saw the vacant restaurant location, went back to Lexington and put his restaurant business up for sale and moved. He is now partners with Joey's widow and has all the recipes of the original business that operated for over 40 years.

I let Mrs dan_bgblue know this and we are driving down for a long weekend before the grandchildren sitting duties restart to eat at Joey's, snappy's Pizza, and J Arthurs
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Pappy I re ceived an email from a friend that lives there letting me know that Joye's Pancake House had reopened and get this, the new owner is from Lexington and he visited the town once, saw the vacant restaurant location, went back to Lexington and put his restaurant business up for sale and moved. He is now partners with Joey's widow and has all the recipes of the original business that operated for over 40 years.

I let Mrs dan_bgblue know this and we are driving down for a long weekend before the grandchildren sitting duties restart to eat at Joey's, snappy's Pizza, and J Arthurs
    That is good news...

Retirement thoughts

@CBSNews: Nearly one-quarter of Americans say they'll never retire, according to new poll https://cbsn.ws/2NBZavj https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1...251776/photo/1

I'll never fully "retire". Like get up and not have any income producing work out there to do. I'd lose my mind.

I'd like to go slower, be able to work enough to cover basic expenses so I don't have to eat into anything I do manage to save up, but I'll never just stop and do hobbies I don't think.

I'll probably go back to programming. I can do free lance work from anywhere, pick and choose projects that suit my skills and still not have to deal with dozens and dozens of clients simultaneously.

Or just get on as a bartender. I surely know the job well enough. lol
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

I'm contemplating getting a job at the Kennedy Space Center. Something simple. Test space monkey or G-force equilibrium gadget repairs. Maybe run radar on the mobile rocket launched to see how fast it actually moves.
    Just a little something to keep me busy.

Rupp's Runt

Launcher, I meant 😁

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    @CBSNews: Nearly one-quarter of Americans say they'll never retire, according to new poll https://cbsn.ws/2NBZavj https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1...251776/photo/1
    I just don't see how most younger than me will be able to retire. Very few stable pensions now. 401k is nice, but you definitely need more than that. SS? Who knows. Most people I know are not making enough to really save for retirement beyond their employers plan.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I just don't see how most younger than me will be able to retire. Very few stable pensions now. 401k is nice, but you definitely need more than that. SS? Who knows. Most people I know are not making enough to really save for retirement beyond their employers plan.
    I hear this all the time. I politely say bunk. The problem is not making enough money. The problem is spending too much or spending it and not investing it. Anyone with the discipline to save 10% of their Gross Income can retire very nicely and at a young enough age to really enjoy it. Sometimes it means delayed gratification. Sometimes is means a smaller house or driving an older vehicle. The fact is, you may not be able to work into old age. Everyone needs a contingency plan for what they would do if they could no longer work. As individuals, we spend way too much money and invest too little.

The example I always use is if you put $5000 initially into an IRA invested into a S&P 500 fund and add as little as $2500 a year for 30 years, assuming the avg returns of the last 62 years, you would have about $550,000. That coupled with Social Security would yield about $52,000 per year to live and still leave a handsome nest egg for your heirs. Continue investing after 30 years and you would be living a nice life.

Contrary to your assertion the millennnials in this country have the best opportunity of any of us to grasp their own futures without hoping for a bunch of free stuff from the Government. Less than half of them are smart enough to make that choice. View the initial contribution the way you would a down payment on a house. Matter of fact, before buying a house come up with the $5k for the IRA. It is more important than buying a house. Is $2500 a year too much to save? How much do people save for a vacation?

Those that have a 401(k) plan with an employer contribution can have a much larger retirement benefit or take less risk in your investment choices. And not to get on my soap box too much, I would add a message to the Teachers in the Commonwealth's Retirement plan, your Union (KEA), lobbyists and their sponsor candidates, are selling your future down the river. Money in a state funded pension plan is much less secure than money in an IRA or 401(k). In addition the IRA money belongs to you and your heirs.
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

I hear this all the time. I politely say bunk. The problem is not making enough money. The problem is spending too much or spending it and not investing it. Anyone with the discipline to save 10% of their Gross Income can retire very nicely and at a young enough age to really enjoy it. Sometimes it means delayed gratification. Sometimes is means a smaller house or driving an older vehicle. The fact is, you may not be able to work into old age. Everyone needs a contingency plan for what they would do if they could no longer work. As individuals, we spend way too much money and invest too little.

The example I always use is if you put $5000 initially into an IRA invested into a S&P 500 fund and add as little as $2500 a year for 30 years, assuming the avg returns of the last 62 years, you would have about $550,000. That coupled with Social Security would yield about $52,000 per year to live and still leave a handsome nest egg for your heirs. Continue investing after 30 years and you would be living a nice life.

Contrary to your assertion the millennnials in this country have the best opportunity of any of us to grasp their own futures without hoping for a bunch of free stuff from the Government. Less than half of them are smart enough to make that choice. View the initial contribution the way you would a down payment on a house. Matter of fact, before buying a house come up with the $5k for the IRA. It is more important than buying a house. Is $2500 a year too much to save? How much do people save for a vacation?

Those that have a 401(k) plan with an employer contribution can have a much larger retirement benefit or take less risk in your investment choices. And not to get on my soap box too much, I would add a message to the Teachers in the Commonwealth's Retirement plan, your Union (KEA), lobbyists and their sponsor candidates, are selling your future down the river. Money in a state funded pension plan is much less secure than money in an IRA or 401(k). In addition the IRA money belongs to you and your heirs.
    Mick I agree with pretty much all of this. Especially with those spending more than they make. Thankfully we are fairly blessed for this area and able to save fairly well.

But I know lots of people around here that make very little and I don't know how they make it. Many of these have "professional" jobs as well. Dads that are getting destroyed on child support. Single moms struggling to make anything. These are not the people going to Disney when they can't afford it. There must be more assistance out there than I am aware of or they have family support. Granted, they could choose to move and find better employment.

My wife's only retirement plan is to get a UK crocheted sweater vest and wear it to UK games. So, Mick, if you catch Shawn in one of these, we are officially retired

Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Fab Five

Good Grief!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    My wife's only retirement plan is to get a UK crocheted sweater vest and wear it to UK games. So, Mick, if you catch Shawn in one of these, we are officially retired

Real Fan since 1958

Good Grief!
    We always have a competition when we go to games to see who can spot the crocheted sweater vest first. Has to be a woman, >60 years of age, preferable with UK earings, and bonus points if wearing a tin button > 3 inches in diameter. And if they say "GO CATS"...game over!