Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Next gulf coast visit? St George Island?

Looking for the next beach come February. I will be finished with being a commissioner for a while, living on mailbox money, looking for a month of sand. Y'all go to these Florida places. Whatcha got? And particularly, anyone every hit the far country of St George Island Flor-ida?

Re: Next gulf coast visit? St George Island?

Hmmm...I’m moving to Naples in September. I’ll give you a first hand report

Stay away from the areas where the dead water is.

You don't want to swim with and fish for dead marine life.
    Last edited by kingcat; 06-15-2019 at 11:07 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

L.A., Fort Walton Beach, we have had nothing but positive experiences. Unfortunately, this year Grammy and I are taking our two oldest Granddaughter's to the Dunes of Indiana and Chicago. May the Almighty have Mercy on me...😃

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Looking for the next beach come February. I will be finished with being a commissioner for a while, living on mailbox money, looking for a month of sand. Y'all go to these Florida places. Whatcha got? And particularly, anyone every hit the far country of St George Island Flor-ida?
    St George Island is one of my favorite spots on the gulf side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Well, SGI and Appalachicola are two of the best places to fall off the earth on the redneck rivera. Remote? Yes. Charming? Yes. Best beaches? Perfect. You can walk for an hour on St. George Island and not see another human.

I should go there more often than I do. I guess other places are sort of like my second home. But for a whole month, SGI would be a great place to drop out of the world.

Do some checking on any damage from the hurricane last fall. It hit just west of there. If you are driving there from PC airport it could be a longer than normal drive due to all the storm damage in Mexico Beach.
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

SGI and the Mexico Beach area is on my bucket list. But I'll let those areas rebuild some.

Dauphin Island is pretty remote if you want that, but Navarre/Destin/Miramar area is much nicer IMO.

Gulf Shores/Orange beach is a favorite of mine during the non busy season. I avoid it in the summer. Plenty to do and lots of places to eat.

My favorite is Siesta Key.

Sanibel is beautiful and remote, but I would not pass any of these other places for it. Unless you just really want to hunt sea shells.

My 2nd favorite place might be Amelia Island. East coast so you don't get the pretty white sand, but it is peaceful and has an enjoyable downtown area. A small downtown area.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    SGI and the Mexico Beach area is on my bucket list. But I'll let those areas rebuild some.

Dauphin Island is pretty remote if you want that, but Navarre/Destin/Miramar area is much nicer IMO.

Gulf Shores/Orange beach is a favorite of mine during the non busy season. I avoid it in the summer. Plenty to do and lots of places to eat.

My favorite is Siesta Key.

Sanibel is beautiful and remote, but I would not pass any of these other places for it. Unless you just really want to hunt sea shells.

My 2nd favorite place might be Amelia Island. East coast so you don't get the pretty white sand, but it is peaceful and has an enjoyable downtown area. A small downtown area.
    Too funny, St George, Amelia Island, and Perdido Key are my favorites. At least in Northern FL.

I still have Amelia Island on my retirement list.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Too funny, St George, Amelia Island, and Perdido Key are my favorites. At least in Northern FL.

I still have Amelia Island on my retirement list.

I have seen a lot of NW Florida and love all of it. However, for the most part it does not change enough for me to have a desire to see all of it. This gets me in trouble with the mother in law. She thinks I should only want to go to the panhandle and no other beaches. So I surrender and go with them every few years, but on those other years that I say no....well I'm in the dog house lol. She won't admit to that, but the comments are obvious.

Back to the OP, It is hard to go wrong any place in NW Florida.

Thank you to blueboss, Mick and everyone who replied.

Big Sky, will be going to the beach in about a month but I don't know where yet. For us, this is about right. We can't coordinate six people's schedule very well, so we wait till the last minute and scramble to see what we can get. St George Island is on the radar. Will let you know if that's what we end up doing. We'll be looking for some three bedroom place on the beach, or at least really close.

I've never been, but I've never heard anything but good things from those who have. Mrs. BEvans and I are looking at an October trip to the panhandle, maybe we should take a look at staying there....
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I've never been, but I've never heard anything but good things from those who have. Mrs. BEvans and I are looking at an October trip to the panhandle, maybe we should take a look at staying there....
    St George in the fall is beautiful, keep your eye on the tropics though...

A lot of the summer attractions are closed which isn’t much, but it’s extremely quiet, beach’s are pristine.

We rented a 3bedroom 3 bathroom house called Motion Ocean, all of the properties have names, the deck was literally on the beach. The deck didn’t have a lot of deck furniture so we called the agency we rented from to bring more. They were very accommodating and the guy that delivered the furniture was an old timer. He told me back in the old days before the island was developed as a kid they used to pay fisherman .25 to drop them and their dune buggies off on the island and pick them back up at the end of the day.

He said the state was basically giving the property away to be developed... at like $200 per acre. My father and I were looking at property when we were down there and beach front “lots” were 1-1.5 million. The next lots in were 750-1.0 million, and the roadside were 300-750.

The same held true for bayside they were 750-1.0, next row in were 500-750, and roadside were 300-500.

The park at the eastern/ southern end of the island is pretty much how the entire island was before development.