Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

A salute to "Whitey"

My dads double cousin and her family lived close to us for many years. We cousins would get together for partying, fishing, gamedays, and cookouts very often. And also quite often their Uncle on their fathers side would attend. He was quite the character and very strange at times as he had some mental issues. Jim was his name but everyone called him "Whitey", and I always assumed it was because he was quite slim and pale.

Many funny stories were told about his escapades (although he was never mistreated in any way). He just tended to remember things different than they really were. Really he seemed to enjoy the attention although Im not sure he knew the funny stories were about him.

Once back in the very early 80's their father got a call from a well known "businessman" in Louisville. A name well known at the time for being the boss of Louisville and connected to a well know Chicago family. The gentleman told him he had received a call from their number to give him a message that "The iceman" had called and would get in touch later. Another time he was caught naked standing in the tub with the door open wearing a new pair of boots.

When it was mentioned later in the day while we were all there I recall he said "That's the way the Germans always did it..makes them fit perfect"

He would often tell stories about being the first soldier on the beach for D Day. But no one really believed him or that he actually joined after turning sixteen years old but lying about his age, and being immediately shipped out for the invasion.
    Even his wife considered it all a story as the facts he told were hard to believe. I seem to recall him saying something to the effect the Germans were just as scared and surprised as he was this was happening.

Anyway several years and many stories later he awoke one morning at home in Indiana and told his wife they had to be in Indianapolis later in the day so he could get his DDay medal from Bill Clinton. She refused and told him, Jim the president isnt going to give you a medal today.
    He insisted and she finally agreed to make the drive. I would add that he was a very private person when it came to his affairs or finances. He drove a car right up until this time and had handled all his business by himself. Whitey was very disciplined in his very unique way.
    Anyway his wife took him to the location he instructed and there was actually heavy security. They went in and he gave them his name and ID and they were led down to the front. Finally the President stood and spoke and then they started calling each individual veteran down. Whitey's (Jim) was about the third name called and he proudly received his medal (and Im not certain which it was..a big one I know).

She said she was astonished and as Jim came back to where she sat he said.."Let's go I'm done"
    If the rest of the stories were true, well.. he was an American super hero, first class (as they all were really) And somehow in hindsight I believe they were.

I just wanted to post this here for him and tell you all how proud I am to have known Whitey.
    I should have listened a lot closer sir. Thank you.
    "16 years old..First boat...first man on the beach..the only one who made it"
    Last edited by kingcat; 06-08-2019 at 11:47 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

A salute to "Whitey"

Great story! Thanks “Whitey” for your service!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

A salute to "Whitey"

Great story.

Re: A salute to "Whitey"

Bits and pieces of the stories told came back to me but most just didn't sink in. Others were told in describing the ramblings of a man who didnt always live in the real world.

Kind of like the sky was falling story I guess.
    I think we missed out on experiencing significant history being relayed first hand. And, whatever demons he was fighting, I bet he made life miserable for them.
    He remained happy it seemed.

Anyway, I thought he deserved having a part of his story told here on this day as best I could.

Now that I think back, his life as he told it, and lived it, would have been a best seller if written in a book.
    Last edited by kingcat; 06-07-2019 at 12:01 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain