Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Wildest lightning strike ever?

that was a great one.

Lightning is IMO one of the most fascinating of natural processes. The sheer power of it, how it does such unpredictable and confounding things due to the sheer power, how plasma pulls up to it (and we didn't know that for a long time), how there is actually lightning going the other way from clouds up into the atmosphere, etc.

It's just cool. Then there's ball lightning and whether it's even real, all kinds of stuff.

That was a really good one. Finally found that connection and then all that power flows through that connection. Massive amounts.

Then then people get hit with that much power and live, where you do that in a bathtub with a toaster and die. Just crazy how it works.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

#2 won a Darwin award

Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post

Lightning is IMO one of the most fascinating of natural processes. The sheer power of it, how it does such unpredictable and confounding things due to the sheer power, how plasma pulls up to it (and we didn't know that for a long time), how there is actually lightning going the other way from clouds up into the atmosphere, etc.

It's just cool. Then there's ball lightning and whether it's even real, all kinds of stuff.
    100% agree! Sprites, Elfs, jets, and various other lightning related phenomena are crazy cool. They are such amazing examples of the enormous charges involved in these processes.

I actually find ball lightning even more cool. As a chemist, I personally think the Silicon Hypothesis is the most likely descriptive framework for ball lightning at this time. Basically, lightning strikes the ground, which naturally contains silica (SiO2). The strike vaporizes the silicon (Si), which then condenses into an aerosol as it cools. The silicon particles in the aerosol end up bound together based on the charges from the lightning strike. This silicon aerosol then reacts with oxygen in the air to reform silica (SiO2) which causes the aerosol to continue to glow (much akin to burning carbon in a fire). This theory fits very well based on the limited direct observational data we have on ball lightning (emission spectra matches elements from the soil, mostly silica with other trace elements).

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post

100% agree! I tend to science geek out on this stuff. Sprites, Elfs, jets, and various other lightning related phenomena are crazy cool. They are such amazing examples of the enormous charges involved in these processes.

I actually find ball lightning even awesome. As a chemist, I personally think the Silicon Hypothesis is the most likely descriptive framework for ball lightning at this time. Basically, lightning strikes the ground, which naturally contains silica (SiO2). The strike vaporizes the silicon (Si), which then condenses into an aerosol as it cools. The silicon particles in the aerosol end up bound together based on the charges from the lightning strike. This silicon aerosol then reacts with oxygen in the air to reform silica (SiO2) which causes the aerosol to continue to glow (much akin to burning carbon in a fire). This theory fits very well based on the limited direct observational data we have on ball lightning (emission spectra matches elements from the soil, mostly silica with other trace elements).

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    #2 won a Darwin award

I hate it when people link these things. One video leads to another, leads to another, leads to another. An hour an a half later you wonder where the evening went.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    I hate it when people link these things. One video leads to another, leads to another, leads to another. An hour an a half later you wonder where the evening went.
    Hey. it's better than the old days when you had to sit at the TV and turn that dial endlessly. Usually with pliers b/c that VHF dial always came off.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Wildest lightning strike ever?

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/lig...us-womens-open

Here’s another great lighting strike captured on film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1134...595842/photo/1

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

https://twitter.com/shanebacon/statu...75077146734593

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    https://www.golfchannel.com/news/lig...us-womens-open

Here’s another great lighting strike captured on film.

Daaaum, I have never see that in a photo. The odds of catching that image are astronomical
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Before I got into vet school I worked at the Kentucky State Diagnostic lab, out on Newtown Pike. I collected all the tissue samples on the necropsies done. We once had a belted galloway cow come in who the owner found dead under a tree in the field. After extensive exam we found two small burn marks, one on the left shoulder and the other on the right rear foot. Cause of death was lightening strike. Hit her in the shoulder and exited the foot. Pretty crazy
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Daaaum, I have never see that in a photo. The odds of catching that image are astronomical
    What do you think the people in the foreground of the photo standing under a tree are thinking?

pedro-

Like you I'm fascinated by ball lightning. I remember old family stories about people seeing it, and it's like one of those old time "things like this used to happen but don't happen any more" things, which of course for Lightning isn't really the case. So is it just that rare or were they drinking hard?

I also find the nature of leaders and streamers fascinating, and the fact that people have captured streamers on film is amazing.

Here's a pic I love, that shows the streamers forming in response to the leader, and they're still there reaching out when the leader finds one so you have the lightning strike and at least 2 failed streamers in the same pic:

Attached Images Attached Images

This one is pretty impressive. I suspect this one is a shot from a 35 mm camera where they locked the lens open f0r several seconds and this shot recorded several individual strikes that show up in one image. The article did not state that, so my thought is certainly in question

Last edited by dan_bgblue; 06-29-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    This one is pretty impressive. I suspect this one is a shot from a 35 mm camera where they locked the lens open f0r several seconds and this shot recorded several individual strikes that show up in one image. The article did not state that, so my thought is certainly in question

Whoa!!

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Saw this one posted on FB... so TIFWIW

This one made me think, whoa nelly, and to thank my patron saint that it was not me that filmed that clip.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    seeya
    dan

Romulans, Klingons, or Borg?

[QUOTE=blueboss;580141]

Saw this one posted on FB... so TIFWIW
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    That might cause me to wreck.

Looks like it blew up a transformer

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Looks like it blew up a transformer
    Sure looks like it but there isn't one on that pole. That's just the sheer force of that lightning hitting ground. I've seen the aftermath on farms when it hits trees. It can blast them into toothpicks.

Fascinates me how it can hit one object and pass right through, or jump out of it, and then hit one and blow it to bits. And we can't study it very well b/c we can't replicate the power involved.

Heck it hits humans who sometimes live, sometimes die. Weird stuff.

@severeweatherEU: Great lightning photos from Montreux, over Lake Geneva, Switzerland last night, June 30th by Christophe Suarez! https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/...784769/photo/11561981273.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    @severeweatherEU: Great lightning photos from Montreux, over Lake Geneva, Switzerland last night, June 30th by Christophe Suarez! https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/...784769/photo/11561981273.jpg
    Appears to have started strait down towards the marina/city, and then decided it would be best to find the best conductor (water) and ground (hillside)

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Pretty good light and sound show at my house last night but was able to get any shots... lightening photos aren’t easy to snag. I guess you have to have a camera set where it just keeps clicking every 2-3 seconds and hope for the best.

I guess you have to have a camera set where it just keeps clicking every 2-3 seconds and hope for the best.
    Or be lucky enough to be in the middle of nowhere where it is dark as pitch and see the storm coming in time to set up and attach a remote shutter cable to the camera. Set the camera for multiple exposure, sit down in a comfy outdoor chair and press the remote to open the shutter. Just hold the shutter open until you see a good flash, then close it Wait for the storm to get closer and then open the shutter again and wait for a few good flashes and close the shutter again and rinse and repeat. 3 maybe 5 cycles and then move to the next frame.
    seeya
    dan

Wasn't anywhere near professional quality, but I have had good luck in the past at the beach. I sit on the balcony of the Condo, set the phone to "burst" mode and randomly snap some overlooking the ocean.

My son cheats and does video, then just takes excerpts from it as photos. Works OK for too, not great.

Rob Marciano, ABC news senior meteorologist just stated “July is the most dangerous month for lightening strikes”.