Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

So...without an iPhone...can you buy an iPad and do Facetime, iPhone location sharing

etc.?

All 3 of my daughters have iPhones. My two sons, my wife and I all have Android phones. Neither "side" is willing to adapt to the other, for their own peculiar reasons.

Somebody told me that I could buy an iPad--doesn't even have to be the latest and greatest, can be an older generation -- and do "Facetime" on it on wi-fi.

a) Is that true? Anybody do that?

I've seen some really inexpensive older generation ones, and it would be worth it just for that. But that also had me thinking as my daughter told us where her boyfriend was, as he spent the weekend with us and traveled back to Clarksville (he was in Nashville at the time)--\

b) could we also get them to do the "share my location" (or whatever iPhone calls it) using an iPad, too?

Your help is appreciated. (Also, if you have researched this, and there's like, a generation you shouldn't go past to do this, that information would also be helpful.

Re: So...without an iPhone...can you buy an iPad and do Facetime, iPhone location sha

Here's an example....refurbished iPad 3 Retina Display.

https://www.itechdeals.com/products/...KL%20180%20Day

$89.99.

Re: So...without an iPhone...can you buy an iPad and do Facetime, iPhone location sha

Prefer the iPad, but same question, iPod touch.

Here's a refurbished iPod touch 4th Gen for $29.99.

https://www.itechdeals.com/collectio...-cameras-black

Read the first four words of the thread title ("So...without an iPhone")... and in a bit of fate, mine went swimming this morning so I am "without an iPhone", albeit a samsung, for the next 1-2 days. What sucks is I am flying to N.C. on Thurs so hopefully it is here by tomorrow...
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Read the first four words of the thread title ("So...without an iPhone")... and in a bit of fate, mine went swimming this morning so I am "without an iPhone", albeit a samsung, for the next 1-2 days. What sucks is I am flying to N.C. on Thurs so hopefully it is here by tomorrow...
    Yikes...it sucks being without a phone. Good luck getting the replacement tomorrow.

Here's another (refurb) Applie iPad Air for $129.99. I'm hoping this works, just for those two things alone.

Rupp's Runt

I do not use Apple and do my best to avoid them....But I'd say it would work. Unless it is just something that Apple turns off to force you to a plan. But I wouldn't think so. But that is totally something Apple would do.

Facebook and Google Duo are options as well. I use Google Duo.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Yikes...it sucks being without a phone. Good luck getting the replacement tomorrow.

Here's another (refurb) Applie iPad Air for $129.99. I'm hoping this works, just for those two things alone.

was insured...$250 deductible but since I have only made one claim in 20 some years, they are only charging me $125 for a new one.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

So...without an iPhone...can you buy an iPad and do Facetime, iPhone location sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    was insured...$250 deductible but since I have only made one claim in 20 some years, they are only charging me $125 for a new one.
    That's not bad. Not bad at all.

Have you thought of using skype? I do not think there is any location service associated with it, but skype allows for live videro chat on the phone, Ipad, PC etc.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Have you thought of using skype? I do not think there is any location service associated with it, but skype allows for live videro chat on the phone, Ipad, PC etc.
    Yeah, you guys must not have daughters. Or at least, not three of them.

You have to adapt to what they use. You don't get them to change what they do. (Plus, remember--I'm also interested in that location sharing thing as well. Need to do both).

Time for you to bite the bullet and invest in a used IPhone 7.
    seeya
    dan

That's not bad. Not bad at all.
    Tracking has it here by 3:00 today.

Old phone has zilch so I'm sure I lose everything. Have not backed up in months, but I "think" it does automatically via the cloud.

I'm NOT an Iphone fan. My wife is because she tracks where running with her apple watch with links to the iphone much easier than an android. I find my samsung has far more applications and is MUCH easier to use. And IMO the trendiness of the iphone faded a long time ago.

etc.?

All 3 of my daughters have iPhones. My two sons, my wife and I all have Android phones. Neither "side" is willing to adapt to the other, for their own peculiar reasons.

Somebody told me that I could buy an iPad--doesn't even have to be the latest and greatest, can be an older generation -- and do "Facetime" on it on wi-fi.

a) Is that true? Anybody do that?

I've seen some really inexpensive older generation ones, and it would be worth it just for that. But that also had me thinking as my daughter told us where her boyfriend was, as he spent the weekend with us and traveled back to Clarksville (he was in Nashville at the time)--\

b) could we also get them to do the "share my location" (or whatever iPhone calls it) using an iPad, too?

Your help is appreciated. (Also, if you have researched this, and there's like, a generation you shouldn't go past to do this, that information would also be helpful.
    To answer your original question about FaceTime, yes you can a FaceTime from a WiFi iPad.
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 05-30-2019 at 04:58 AM.

Thanks. I think I'll get a WiFi iPad and just run with it.

I actually thought about buying one as a backup, and slipping a Sim card in it just for these purposes, and decided that was a bit ridiculous, even for me .

Rupp's Runt

I bought the first iPhones bc Android had a way to go to be good. Since then, mostly Samsung and one HTC. Tried Windows when they were making a push.

I was hoping my Samsung S7 would make it past hay cutting season but it did not. So I stopped by AT&T and bought a $70 LG something to get thru the weekend(I don't even know what model but it was $70). So far I love it. I might be done with high end phones!

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

You can get an unlocked Iphone 4s for 25 to 40 dollars depending on condition on the interweb. You can still upgrade to tke latest OS via the internet. Apple is no longer supporting this model phone though.
    seeya
    dan

Really don't see buying the phone if the iPad or Touch will do. Really the iPad because of the screen size and battery life.

Really don't see buying the phone if the iPad or Touch will do. Really the iPad because of the screen size and battery life.
    You can buy a new iPhone 6s cheaper than a new iPod touch. Walmart sells the prepaid versions of the iPhone 6s in AT&T or straight talk for $150. The last iPod touch I saw was $199.

I like the combo of an iPhone and an iPad. Any notes I take, calendar entries, photos, etc., done on one device are available on both.
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 06-08-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    You can buy a new iPhone 6s cheaper than a new iPod touch. Walmart sells the prepaid versions of the iPhone 6s in AT&T or straight talk for $150. The last iPod touch I saw was $199.

I like the combo of an iPhone and an iPad. Any notes I take, calendar entries, photos, etc., done on one device are available on both.
    Shoot, the iPod Touches that I'm looking at are like 50 bucks or less. I don't need anything new oh, just something to you for FaceTime.

That is a good price, though.