Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

High schools across US hosting 'military signing days'

40 years ago I would not have believed I would have seen such a thing happen in my lifetime.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Re: High schools across US hosting 'military signing days'

When I was in high school ('69-'73) the U.S. was coming to the end of its involvement in Vietnam. Very few of my classmates joined the military at that time. I myself did not enlist until a few years later.
    Very unpopular conflict that in hindsight verified President Eisenhower's concerns about the relationship between the military and the industrial complex.
    I have the same concerns now with the conflicts we are currently involved in, as well as ones that are looming on the horizon.

Re: High schools across US hosting 'military signing days'

It's funny--when I graduated from HS the military had just reached its low point under Carter. I didn't even think about the military or trying for the military academies.

Fast forward 6 years and I found myself exploring joining the military and working as a JAG. And I've worked for the military (albeit as a GS civilian) for the last 19 years. You just never know where life's going to take you.

I like celebrating HS graduates getting a start in their post-HS life, whether it's an athletic scholarship, academic scholarship, joining the military (which has a lot of things to commend itself as a career path) or starting in a trade.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

High schools across US hosting 'military signing days'

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post

I like celebrating HS graduates getting a start in their post-HS life, whether it's an athletic scholarship, academic scholarship, joining the military (which has a lot of things to commend itself as a career path) or starting in a trade.
    It's a very cool thing to do.

I don't know if my local high school does it, but I have been present at Senior Banquets and such where the seniors announce their college choice and the ones going into the military always receive tremendous applause. It makes you feel good to see.