Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Total destruction

great way to spend a Sunday morning. This was a bathroom circa 1985. A DYI job....been watching too much Discovery Channel. We did the demo and contractor will be doing the buildout. I didn't tackle the tub though as we would be waterless

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: Total destruction

Will have to post finished photos, did a bathroom myself in the last month.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Total destruction

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    I've been doing bathroom by myself since about 8 years old!

Wait. That's not what you mean, is it? Uh, nevermind.

I am leaving the mirror for the contractor, tub and removing tile as well.

I did the master after we moved in (last Sept)
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Total destruction

this is the master....just need the barn door. Need to put in a header for that

Total destruction

Is something rejuvenating about ripping something apart

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Is something rejuvenating about ripping something apart

Wife often watches the show with "Chip and Joann" on it where they fix up houses, so I watch it when I'm in the same room. I know that Chip talks about the demolition day and how it's his favorite thing to do. Must truly be something to it.

Doc, I love the master and so does Grammy.
    Dang you. .
    Since we have done the kitchen, in the process of doing the parlor and hallway and having a new pool and deck built, it will have to wait until next year.

I spent the day getting sand delivered, receiving a pool and cleaning the jets (don't ask) on the toilet in the master bedroom, and am now taping off the trim in the parlor and hallway.

Again Doc, beautiful master and your missus must have outstanding taste when it comes to home decor.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Unless you take out something load bearing it's just playing around.

P0003563.jpg

P0003554.jpg

FWIW all the wood you see in that first pic was removed. Entire 2nd floor completely removed, first floor down to the studs, raised and built back up. It was a fun 1.5 years.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Unless you take out something load bearing it's just playing around.

P0003563.jpg

P0003554.jpg

FWIW all the wood you see in that first pic was removed. Entire 2nd floor completely removed, first floor down to the studs, raised and built back up. It was a fun 1.5 years.
    Back in the day I moved in places that looked like that.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Back in the day I moved in places that looked like that.
    I move out of places that looked like that

Doc, you were smarter than me or Dave. Lol.

I moved into one that needed that much work ,and I knew it going in. I'm a complete idiot.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Doc, you were smarter than me or Dave. Lol.

I moved into one that needed that much work ,and I knew it going in. I'm a complete idiot.
    Believe me...the house we just sold was "the money pit". The stories I could tell......... things like sprinkler heads under the patio that were active, non insulated wires in the wall, septic tank that backed up on day 2 after moving in (its bad to find a shower full of sewage, but its worse when its not your sewage)... I literally have days of stories

so believe me, I am A TOTAL DUMBASS for buying that sack of ####

Lol, Man I feel your pain.

I didn't have too many surprises, but I had a few. That room that is removed in those pics was above the original kitchen. When they put it up they didn't remove the old flat seam metal roof. When we started we found it inside between the floors. Wasn't a huge deal, but explains why the joists in the 2nd floor were always so messed up. They were shaved down and sat on the old roof, so at one end they were less than 1/2" thick.

You were a victim. I was dumb enough to sign up for it. Not sure which is worse, lol.

Sounds like the patio we had. We decided to replace it. Pulled it up and under the patio was another patio. The just poured a new patio over the existing one. Meant when we pavered it there was no drainage..a constant problem

The house had its own phone junction box. Why? Because it had 23 lines. The office literally had 23 phone jacks. And the wires were all diff colors and splice anywhere and everywhere. Example: yellow and blue wires came in and purple and pink exited. But at the next box the purple and pink would be green and orange. And the wires were actually designed to be used outside. The remodel was done by a guy who had an airplane service company so anything he could get for free, he did and used it. He also had a telemarketing company, hence the crazy number of phone jacks.

The roof had no plywood. it was a lattice of slat with wood shake shingles so hurricane force winds went through the house. during a storm the wind inside the house literally moved your hair. This resulted in the roof flexing. we had a cedar beam that ran the length of the house (150 ft) that split. No way to replace as it was what supported the entire roof (probably a 6" x 12" beam). The sag that developed caused the beam on the back side of the house to also split. To repair they literally detached the roof, jacked it up 2 inched. used additional jacks to straighten the beams, bolt a steel plate on each side then box the beam in (was a decorative visible beam in living room) then lower and attach roof.

Termites...the house had been treated /tented but not repaired. we replaced the door to find eaten studs. we removed the entire front of the house. Some studs were literally <1/4 inch of wood. while this was being repaired we literally had no walls. Same situation on back and both sides of house.

Lets see....we had the Bee Invasion. Was a defect in the stucco of the bay window in the bathroom. A queen set up a hive and a colony formed. The bees came up the wall, into the space above the bathroom ceiling and out the fan into the bathroom interior. I came home one day to literally hundreds if not thousands of bees swarming in the bathroom.

Then we had "the explosion". The gas cooktop was in the kitchen island, under a ceiling fan. Unbeknownst to me, the cooktop had no safety features so one night my wife cooked steaks. when done she didn't turn the burners. when she removed the griddle the fan blew out the flame but gas continued to flow. after several hour, all the gas accumulate under the counter of the island. When I went to go to bed I noted the gas smell and checked. A burner was on so a reflex said turn it off. Doing so went past the piezoelectric starter..spark...explosion. A fireball shot up my chest burning all the hair off my chest. The explosion lifted the 4x4 foot granite top off the island, blew the cabinet in two, and was so large it blew out the a/c vent in the ceiling. It was literally a hollywood type fireball explosion.

Those are just a few of the cluster####s associated with that house's construction
    Last edited by Doc; 05-12-2019 at 06:31 AM.

Yeah, you win. Wow. I remember some of your adventures over the years with the house, esp. the center beam, but to see them all laid out like that is something.

How many different people did you sue?

Yeah, you win. Wow. I remember some of your adventures over the years with the house, esp. the center beam, but to see them all laid out like that is something.

How many different people did you sue?
    Just one....the a/c company that installed the air handler in the attic and placed the shut off float too high. The pan filled, overflowed because the float was too high. Soaked thru the ceiling of our dining room and down the wall, filled up the chandelier and soaked a table causing it to warp before we noticed. Cost $10K to replace and repair all the damage. That was the only one I sued.

Looking back, I should have sued the seller and the home inspector...along with the realtor
    Last edited by Doc; 05-12-2019 at 08:44 PM.

You'd probably have a case against all of them. At least in the last decade or so. 30 years ago it was more buyer beware, and it still is that way at auction, but not for a regular sale.

Esp. with the home inspection clearly missing things, and probably not disclosures of known problems from the seller and agent. Even in the old days you had to disclose.

Had to kind of take over some of the stuff we were having done.
    Got this finished (almost) a little earlier...

Grammy's New Deck 1.jpg
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.