Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Should I join the Athletic? Respect Kyle Tucker’s talent but can’t stand his politics

Seems like he has good articles posted every day. But, again I don’t need some snowflake giving me advice on what is right and wrong in the world

Anyone here subscribe to it?

Thanks, Darryl

Re: Should I join the Athletic? Respect Kyle Tucker’s talent but can’t stand his poli

You just talked me out of it....I get enough of that from Jerry Nadler.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Re: Should I join the Athletic? Respect Kyle Tucker’s talent but can’t stand his poli

I would strongly advise that you stay off twitter (at least, HIS twitter). I believe that's where he does most of his politicking.

I often refuse to patronize something because of some belief someone has that I don't agree with, and I think everybody is entitled to make that type of decision. Having said that, you will find his politics in his articles on The Athletic, and he is a good writer. But again, I think that's purely your choice.

You probably have noticed that I will post things from him from time to time, obviously, none of the politics. It's not that I agree with or disagree with the politics, I just don't want to carry that here. But his sports coverage is good.

There are several I would love to follow on Twitter but I refuse to because they can't separate their sports world from their personal. I tell them all to create a personal account because no one follows them for their political beliefs. None have yet.
    Follow me on Twitter @krcrider

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Seems like he has good articles posted every day. But, again I don’t need some snowflake giving me advice on what is right and wrong in the world

Anyone here subscribe to it?

Thanks, Darryl
    Darryl, as much as you read, I believe you would enjoy the site. There are fewer political comments than most sports sights. But the journalists they have are top drawer. I love reading Bruce Feldman and Stewart Mandell. But there are a host of former college beat writers on the site and their contributions are a plua.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 05-02-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

I know I shouldn't, but...

I think it's a shame that people have become so intolerant to someone who thinks differently than they do. If you like reading what Kyle Tucker has to say about sports, why be scared to read what he might say about something else? Are you afraid that, gasp, it might actually make sense and make you rethink what you believe? The horror! What if he writes something about sports that you disagree with?

It's simply not that interesting for me to hear what I already think. The day the Mueller report was released I only watched Fox News because I knew what "my" guys were going to say.

My apologies as I don't mean to offend anyone, and I know I should just let things go, but I have found in my life that I probably learn more from those I don't agree with than from those that I do. Furthermore, I believe we have an obligation to take into perspectives different from ours and to try to understand them. I don't always live up to those lofty goals, but I certainly try.

But if you like what Tucker has to say about sports why deny that to yourself because you don't like what he says about something else, especially if that something else is not the primary focus of his writing?

I like the Athletic. I know I am far closer to Darryl than Bakert, politically. So Tucker and I aren't going to agree. But support for journalism that provides you the information you want is so important. Support sports reporting! Now if Tucker started advocating against chik-fil-a for their owner's opinion, then I'd cancel. But think of the Athletic as a chicken biscuit until then.
    Last edited by bigsky; 05-03-2019 at 08:52 AM.

I read his articles.. I stay off his twitter handle

See....I ask the same question about this board. I'm liberal, but I like an escape from politics and want to come here and read about sports. So when I see pejorative terms like "snowflake" thrown around to describe people like me, it makes me ask the same question that you do about The Atlantic and Kyle. So should I stick around? I know I will because I like the board. So perhaps there's your answer.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

I subscribe. I think kyle is a good sports writer and covers the Cats objectively and in great detail. .

I honestly don’t remember his political stuff. Matt jones talks about his hair. It is really nice. What sticks with me is that Kyle loves his kids. He loves being a dad.

I’d say if one is open to a subscription, Kyle’s coverage is worth it.

And I’d also say enjoy the sports. If we need more, he loves his children. Build on commonality.

Kentucky Basketball is one of the most important things in my life. It builds a bond. I say with great pride I have only had one UofL fan in my home. A blood relative.

I refuse to call more than two people who cheer on Carolina my friends. That is my quota. And I would never have married anyone who roots against the Cats.

I am not kidding.

That said, why is political position more important to folks than a love for UK Basketball. I personally have had Hitler mustaches drawn on multiple pictures of me in high school and college.

At the same my friends in the young republicans labeled me a tree hugger.

Why is it that some say if a person is not conservative and a republican they can’t be Christian. Why do some people question ones patriotism and see liberal as a four letter word. Why liberals call everyone they disagree with racist? There are people who lack vision. Simple as that.

I love Darryl. His optimism. His quizzes. Just his presence. He was a bright when Cal Arrived and continues to be.

My political views are pretty well known on the other board. The political one here. If Darryl doesn’t like Kyle Tucker he damn well may hate me. If so that is a shame.

I love my country. I love my basketball team. Though I sin, I love my God.

Folks should be open to hearing what others say. Now like opposing coaches, I am direct on who I think are bad for the game, bad for UK and those people who are bad for America.

Long way around to say Kyle is a good sports writer who covers UK well. I am pretty sure there are good Americans, well intended folks across the political spectrum you might not always agree with, but you can find common ground if you look.

The Athletic is tremendous. I'm a huge fan. Tucker's stories on the UK equipment manager this year, Ellen Calipari, and the "Notes from Parents" series (notes to freshmen UK basketball players from their parents before the start of the season).... I could go on and on. I think he's, bar-none, the best UK beat writer, and it's not even close.

Wait for one of the 40% off sales, though, if you're going to subscribe. They offer them all the time-- especially anytime some new writer joins, which is often.

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    I subscribe. I think kyle is a good sports writer and covers the Cats objectively and in great detail. .

I honestly don’t remember his political stuff. Matt jones talks about his hair. It is really nice. What sticks with me is that Kyle loves his kids. He loves being a dad.

I’d say if one is open to a subscription, Kyle’s coverage is worth it.

And I’d also say enjoy the sports. If we need more, he loves his children. Build on commonality.

Kentucky Basketball is one of the most important things in my life. It builds a bond. I say with great pride I have only had one UofL fan in my home. A blood relative.

I refuse to call more than two people who cheer on Carolina my friends. That is my quota. And I would never have married anyone who roots against the Cats.

I am not kidding.

That said, why is political position more important to folks than a love for UK Basketball. I personally have had Hitler mustaches drawn on multiple pictures of me in high school and college.

At the same my friends in the young republicans labeled me a tree hugger.

Why is it that some say if a person is not conservative and a republican they can’t be Christian. Why do some people question ones patriotism and see liberal as a four letter word. Why liberals call everyone they disagree with racist? There are people who lack vision. Simple as that.

I love Darryl. His optimism. His quizzes. Just his presence. He was a bright when Cal Arrived and continues to be.

My political views are pretty well known on the other board. The political one here. If Darryl doesn’t like Kyle Tucker he damn well may hate me. If so that is a shame.

I love my country. I love my basketball team. Though I sin, I love my God.

Folks should be open to hearing what others say. Now like opposing coaches, I am direct on who I think are bad for the game, bad for UK and those people who are bad for America.

Long way around to say Kyle is a good sports writer who covers UK well. I am pretty sure there are good Americans, well intended folks across the political spectrum you might not always agree with, but you can find common ground if you look.
    You are a good friend of mine. I grew up in a household with my Father being an FDR Democrat. I have always voted for the best person, but with the way Democrats have acted since Trump won (And I see multiple flaws in him) I sincerely say I would vote for a member of Issis before I ever voted for a Democrat again.

However, if you ran for office, I’d vote for you

Darryl

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

I love and have great respect for you.

God Bless and Go Cats.

Quote Originally Posted by catsroar View Post
    See....I ask the same question about this board. I'm liberal, but I like an escape from politics and want to come here and read about sports. So when I see pejorative terms like "snowflake" thrown around to describe people like me, it makes me ask the same question that you do about The Atlantic and Kyle. So should I stick around? I know I will because I like the board. So perhaps there's your answer.
    Good man.

Fab Five

Darryl, John Martin has a good article Today on recruiting at Memphis. You may find it more offensive than Kyle Tucker’s tweets.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by catsroar View Post

Having been with the core of this group over multiple boards for 15+ years, I don't have the confidence (not to be confused with having the confidence to say such a thing) to make such a statement without the heat coming back (I just want to avoid conflict when I can), even though I completely agree with the sentiment.

Pardon my post. It wasn’t appropriate here in hindsight

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    But think of the Athletic as a chicken biscuit until then.
    Doing so would make The Athletic one of the best things in the world!

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    Doing so would make The Athletic one of the best things in the world!
    Hopefully, the Athletic won’t screw up their offerings the way CFA has.
    Real Fan since 1958

Unforgettable

I am intrigued about the Memphis article.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    I know I shouldn't, but...

I think it's a shame that people have become so intolerant to someone who thinks differently than they do. If you like reading what Kyle Tucker has to say about sports, why be scared to read what he might say about something else? Are you afraid that, gasp, it might actually make sense and make you rethink what you believe? The horror! What if he writes something about sports that you disagree with?

It's simply not that interesting for me to hear what I already think. The day the Mueller report was released I only watched Fox News because I knew what "my" guys were going to say.

My apologies as I don't mean to offend anyone, and I know I should just let things go, but I have found in my life that I probably learn more from those I don't agree with than from those that I do. Furthermore, I believe we have an obligation to take into perspectives different from ours and to try to understand them. I don't always live up to those lofty goals, but I certainly try.

But if you like what Tucker has to say about sports why deny that to yourself because you don't like what he says about something else, especially if that something else is not the primary focus of his writing?
    1. I'm not intolerant. Just because one doesn't want to listen to idiocy doesn't make them intolerant. I can take different opinions, I follow many people who don't think like me. I won't read or listen ignorant ones.
    2. If I want political rhetoric I'm not going to a sports writer for it. I have 2 twitter handles. One for personal and one for political. Neither has any of the same people followed. You can only take so much (regardless of which side you are one). When I'm on my personal account I don't want to to see political jargon.
    3. The opinions that most people espouse on Twitter are so uninformed it makes me cringe. That was most of Kyle's political posts.
    4. I follow numerous other people who post almost the same UK news or retweet Kyle from time to time. If it is important I'll find out quickly. I just don't have to subject myself to someone's hate every time they are offended.
    Follow me on Twitter @krcrider

If you like the sports read the sports stuff and ignore the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    If you like the sports read the sports stuff and ignore the rest.
    Pretty simple, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    Pretty simple, isn't it?
    Yep, it really is that simple.

Thanks guys; wish I had thought of that

Darryl

I subscribe and love it for all sports. The articles are so much better than ESPN, SI, or anything else I read. Their NFL Draft build up was awesome.

If I didn’t listen, watch, read things from folks I disagree with politically I would not enjoy near the music, books and movies I do. Have to separate the two.

Besides, if we only associate and read folks we agree with we will never grow. No one side is always right or wrong. The best solutions in life are brought about through understanding

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    If I didn’t listen, watch, read things from folks I disagree with politically I would not enjoy near the music, books and movies I do. Have to separate the two.

Besides, if we only associate and read folks we agree with we will never grow. No one side is always right or wrong. The best solutions in life are brought about through understanding
    Word.

Tucker has another great one today on Khalil Whitney. No newspaper could ever finance these deep dives, both because of the expense in reporting them and the space necessary in the print edition.

Also, should have mentioned it earlier, his piece on Nate Sestina will make you absolutely love the kid. Darryl, if you're still on the fence, get a trial subscription, read that article, and then make your decision.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I may do it. I just want to make sure they don’t use any of my money to finance Comrade Bernie’s campaign.....

Darryl

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    I subscribe and love it for all sports. The articles are so much better than ESPN, SI, or anything else I read. Their NFL Draft build up was awesome.

����������

Outstanding!
    Real Fan since 1958