Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Is it just me?

Is it just me?

Reading documents on a computer monitor is becoming more difficult for me as time passes. It actually is not the reading of the text that is my downfall, but it is the comprehension and remembering of what I have read.

My job requires lots of reading of government documents which take 10 pages to explain the difference between an agricultural crop that is planted for harvest and one that is planted for wildlife food and the program regulations surrounding both types. Depending on font size settings for the computer monitor that 10 pages of printed material printed in a 12 pica or elite font becomes double that number of images on the monitor screen. I find myself doing a lot of scrolling back and forth looking for specific passages that I know I read, but have to be sure of the wording so that I can understand what I am reading now.

I have started printing those 10 pages and forgetting about reading them first on the computer. Anyone else need to have pages in print rather than electronic dots on a computer screen before they feel comfortable about remembering and comprehending what they have read?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: Is it just me?

Dan, I have always comprehended printed words on paper better than on a computer monitor screen. I also remember notes better when I handwrite them, rather than type them.

I bet if we looked, there is science behind there somewhere.

I have found that it is better for me to have two monitors constantly going, with one of them being large on the document I am reading, if I'm going to take notes on the computer. I will do that often, either because I'm working on a second document from that document, or if I am sending notes to a colleague, sometimes by e-mail.

Interesting. I'm not sure the science is as clear as I thought it might be, but here is an interesting study that showed that a twofold approach may be best when reading things to learn or study. Some information is better when it is studied on a computer screen, such as dates of certain events, while other information is better and easier to be recalled on paper, such as why such an event occurred, or where.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/micha..._10210036.html

Good info at the link. Thank you sir
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Interesting. I'm not sure the science is as clear as I thought it might be, but here is an interesting study that showed that a twofold approach may be best when reading things to learn or study. Some information is better when it is studied on a computer screen, such as dates of certain events, while other information is better and easier to be recalled on paper, such as why such an event occurred, or where.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/micha..._10210036.html
    Very interesting article and explains why I often am the same as dan.

As for handwriting notes, the action of handwriting involves multiple learning centers in the brain. This increases likelihood of memory retention as teh memory can be retained in multiple ways.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Good info at the link. Thank you sir
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Very interesting article and explains why I often am the same as dan.

As for handwriting notes, the action of handwriting involves multiple learning centers in the brain. This increases likelihood of memory retention as teh memory can be retained in multiple ways.
    I am just happy to find a non-age related reason for me not remembering things sometimes.

On a somewhat related note, I read an article a few days ago that said forgetfulness is a sign of high intelligence. I'm not sure I buy it, but I seized the moment with my wife, as she says I often forget things like where I place my car keys, something she tells me to pick up at the grocery store, and other minor items. The alleged science behind this seemed fuzzy to me, basically sort of a situation where your brain only focuses on important things, and moves the unimportant things to the side so that it can devote more resources to the important things.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I am just happy to find a non-age related reason for me not remembering things sometimes.

On a somewhat related note, I read an article a few days ago that said forgetfulness is a sign of high intelligence. I'm not sure I buy it, but I seized the moment with my wife, as she says I often forget things like where I place my car keys, something she tells me to pick up at the grocery store, and other minor items. The alleged science behind this seemed fuzzy to me, basically sort of a situation where your brain only focuses on important things, and moves the unimportant things to the side so that it can devote more resources to the important things.
    This is actually half-true, short-term memory in particular requires a much higher degree of mental engagement than other learning types (which are handled in other parts of the brain). Those who engage in more mentally difficult tasks regularly often don't have the mental resources to also devote to short term memory. The Executive Function region of the brain is a strange beast, responsible for so many different things that make day-to-day life possible but also not always well understood.

Rupp's Runt

I enjoy short articles online. But if it is more than a few pages and I really need to read it. Give me paper.

Other than classic literature I never read anything printed if I can help it. Of course I have the hardwired computer implant on pre-order.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.