Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Weighted blankets?

Weighted blankets?

Any of you fellow insomnia sufferers try this?

I don't think it will help, but I think it is worth a try.

My question is, my wife does not want to sleep under it. I weigh 215, more or less, which would indicate a 20-pound blanket. But those are the generally queen sized. I want to get something smaller... Wouldn't it seem that a twin sized blanket, even if it were 12-15 pounds, would be the equivalent of a 20-pound queen-sized blanket? What am I missing here?

Re: Weighted blankets?

I am thinking I would start the thought process by calculating the ounces or grams of weight per square inch of blanket for each of them and then mull it over a bit if necessary
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I just got tired of looking and ordered a queen sized 20-lb one. I'll figure it out when it gets here Wednesday .

Weighted blankets?

I bought the wife one for Xmas l. 15lbs, she has respiratory issues, and it is recommended that they shouldn’t be used.

I tried.... lol

The one I got was like a single, and was $160. She took it back and got shoes or some such crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I actually do not think this is going to work for me, but I prefer to try all nonmedicine treatment first. I think I need to get back exercising as well. When I am regularly exercising, I bet I sleep a little better. It's not a panacea, but it helps.

Fab Five

I have found regular exercise is the key. Still, every couple of weeks or so I will wake and take a while to get back to sleep. I have taken my doctor’s orders seriously and exercise no less than 3 hours a week. Typically I go for at least 45 minutes to an hour on the treadmill, with a goal of at least 450 calories burned and 2.75 to 3.25 miles. I use free weights for an hour to and hour and 15 minutes aweek.

But the impact on sleep has been a major plus. I dropped almost 20 pounds and have been sleeping much better.
    Real Fan since 1958

Rupp's Runt

Weighted blankets?

Let us know how you like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Weighted blankets?

It's on my bed. Will try it out tonight.

Is your wife going to sleep on the sofa?
    seeya
    dan

First night - slept til 6 a.m., about six hours of sleep. No 3 a.m. wakeup.

Second night - slept til 5:30 a.m., but woke up when blanket was on floor. Because it's a queen sized blanket, part of it drapes over my side of the bed. On the first night, I kept the blanket entirely on me, but the second night gravity pulled it off the bed. I don't know when, so I don't know if it was "working" and I woke up when it was no longer there, or if I was just going to sleep until 5:30 anyway.

Weighted blankets?

Third night - awake after 5½ hours, but stomach wasn't feeling right. Ate late night Mexican restaurant and sometimes it settles heavy. Slept well until then.

Rupp's Runt

Weighted blankets?

How hot is it to sleep under?

Weighted blankets?

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    How hot is it to sleep under?

Warm. Have a breathable material, but it still compresses down and keeps your body heat next to you.

I'm getting a small bedside fan to point at me besides the ceiling fan. Unfortunately, I like sleeping in cold temperatures, but my wife likes it year around at about 72, so I end up being warmer anyway. Definitely does not help having a weighted blanket there.

Weighted blankets?

Mediocre sleep last night, but I always got back to sleep. Last night I tried doubling the blanket up, and placing all of it on my side of the bed, so it did not slide off. It was way too heavy, and way too hot. Sometime during the night I changed it so that most of it was off the bed, and the rest stayed on me, but only about waist level. That worked well.

I'm still going to get a separate fan, but in the meantime, I may not pull the cover up the entire way.

How would it work if you took a pair of scissors and cut the blanket in half length wise, then sewed up the cut edge?
    seeya
    dan

Weighted blankets?

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    How would it work if you took a pair of scissors and cut the blanket in half length wise, then sewed up the cut edge?
    Don't trust my wife to do that. She's a wonderful person, but that's not her thing. Nor mine, if that wasn't obvious already.

But truthfully, your solution is dang near perfect.

I'm a strong opponent of talking to any woman about cutting anything with scissors in a bedroom.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I'm a strong opponent of talking to any woman about cutting anything with scissors in a bedroom.
    Those. Are. Wise. Words.