Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many people grill outside in the winter?

How many people grill outside in the winter?

I actually thought it was a little warmer today, but the temperature is going to drop into the low forties when I start grilling. That's not too cold for me, but my family thinks I'm crazy.

I tried to tell them that my Kentucky buddies grill outside below freezing all the time, so I may need some support here.

Re: How many people grill outside in the winter?

Present and accounted for, sir.
    Actually, most of the time I start the grill and tend to it, Grammy does the actual cooking on 90% of the time.
    I have been known to shovel the path to the grill when Grammy has offered to do a steak.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Present and accounted for, sir.
    Actually, most of the time I start the grill and tend to it, Grammy does the actual cooking on 90% of the time.
    I have been known to shovel the path to the grill when Grammy has offered to do a steak.
    You're a good man, and she's a better woman.

Since grilling is a fairly speedy endeavor, it never stops around my back deck. Gas grill lights quickly and is up to temp in a hurry. I have grilled enough with the unit I have that I can plop a hunk of meat, and some veges on the grate, close the lid, and walk back inside. Set the timer and return to the grill a short time later to flip the food, close the lid and walk back inside. I just finished off a pork chop, (baked) potato and grilled zucchini that I cooked just a bit earlier.

I prefer to grill in the colder months vs the late spring and summer, as when it gets cold the pesky insects are no where to be found.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Oh I do without issue when it comes up. I do worry when it gets REALLY cold b/c I use the Big Green Egg, which is in the end a big clay bowl. I worry about cracking it with such extreme temperatures. May not be founded when you think about the temps it holds, but it still worries me.

But shouldn't be an issue to grill in the winter. Like Dan said it's not like you have to stand there the whole time even if you're slow cooking something.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I am also the grill lighter. Donna usually does the grilling by choice.

All seasons grilling around these parts

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Rupp's Runt

Not this year, as my propane tank has been out and just got it refilled. But yes, I do grill some in the winter. Not a lot, but some.

Just grilled out Tuesday of this week here in Louisville.
    Grilled Salmon, only way I will eat it and very tasty.

I haven't done it this winter, but I usually do it a good bit. It's one of the advantages of having a gas grill--easier to get up to heat in cold weather.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I’m a charcoal guy, year round... Kingsford original, on a Weber.

Neighbors mumble “that crazy guy is at it again” when they smell the starter fluid and briquets wafting on the breeze.

Threw burgers on the grill Saturday before we toasted the Jayhawks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Unless anyone wants charbroiled icicles I recommend waiting from now till Friday around here for firing up the barbeque.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I’m a charcoal guy, year round... Kingsford original, on a Weber.

Neighbors mumble “that crazy guy is at it again” when they smell the starter fluid and briquets wafting on the breeze.

Threw burgers on the grill Saturday before we toasted the Jayhawks...

When starting my charcoal I never use lighter fluid or any kind of accelerant. I use a chimney and I keep a roll of painters masking paper. It is cheap, it is on a roll and there is no ink or chemicals. Works like a charm...
    Last edited by BigBluePappy; 01-28-2019 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Spelling, what else?
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Pappy, put the Egg on your Xmas list one year.

It is like a built in chimney, so I don't use any fluids either. I use some presswood starters, you can get a brick of them for a few bucks. Put a couple in there and light them, close the lid and open up the bottom and top flue, it will draft and be going good in no time.

Then when you're done you close both flues completely, it goes out and you can use the rest the next time. I get at least 3 grillings out of a load of charcoal in it. I use natural charcoal as well.

There are others that work fine, and obviously your method works fine, but I was really surprised the Egg works so well for starting and stopping grilling. It's maybe not quite as fast as gas, but it's awfully close, and you get the full grilling effect with it.

Funny you should say wait, have the burgers ready to grill tomorrow night.
    Gas for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    When starting my charcoal I never use lighter fluid or any kind of accelerant. I use a chimney and I keep a roll of painters masking paper. It is cheap, it is on a roll and there is no ink or chemicals. Works like a charm...
    Used the chimneys before, as well. When using fluid it is key to let the coals burn off the fluid and get good and white before spreading them. Then as CBBN suggests let the draft of the vents further them along while the grate gets hot.

I use about 150-200 lbs of charcoal annually. Usually buy enough to last the entire year at Home Depot’s Memorial Day sale.

Green Egg is on my list if/when my Weber ever wears out.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Here's what you do. You go out to grill. Scream, shoot a few holes in the Weber, and claim as you opened the lid a rabid possum with a bad attitude and a switchblade lunged at you so shot at it in self defense. It got away, but the grill was collateral damage. Then go get an Egg.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Here's what you do. You go out to grill. Scream, shoot a few holes in the Weber, and claim as you opened the lid a rabid possum with a bad attitude and a switchblade lunged at you so shot at it in self defense. It got away, but the grill was collateral damage. Then go get an Egg.
    Think it’d work with the television? I’ve been angling hard for an upgrade.

Rupp's Runt

I miss my charcoal.

Anybody have any experience with the Egg lookalikes, like the Kamodo? I couldn't justify the cost of an Egg, but could probably do it with one of the lookalikes.

(BTW, I bet anyone in this area who was considering grilling outside today is thinking twice.)
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I preferred charcoal for years, but with my crazy schedule, it just works better with gas these days.

Sunday my wife put potatoes in the oven to bake. I finished a project, then went to the store, and picked out some steaks for a mini-celebration, also shopped for some lights I wanted to put around the deck. Came home, seasoned them lightly with Montreal Steak whatever, and went to the grill. Connected the hose and turned the knob, then pressed a button to light it. While it was heating, I took the lights out of the package and strung them around the deck. Finished, threw the steaks on the grill, cooked six steaks medium.

Came inside, and wife complained that the baked potatoes weren't ready yet, that I had cooked too quickly.

I have two large propane gas tanks (well, not large like not the gas grill type, but bigger than the ones at Walmart--Costco sold them). They last a long time. When one gets close to empty, I take it off, and bring it to my car. When I am close to the U-Haul on Hwy 31 (right around the corner from an office I work in about once a week), I stop in, and have them refill it for next to nothing.

It's infrared, so to clean it, I use the "self-cleaning" method I learned. After cooking, let it cool, then place a piece of aluminum foil on it, turn up the heat, close the lid and let it "cook" for 20 minutes. When it is done, you literally can blow the ashes away clean, as it pulverises any food particles that were on the grills into white ash.

Next year when things (I think) will slow down a little, I may look back and going back to charcoal. Not only do I like the charcoal cooked taste, but I like the way you have to grill with it. It's just more of an art. More fun. Gas grilling is boring. But it is fast and easy.

Grilled burgers were great last night!

Might throw a couple steaks and a lobster tail or two on the grill tomorrow.

All though it shouldn’t count as winter grilling considering it’s going to be in the mid 60’s

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Might throw a couple steaks and a lobster tail or two on the grill tomorrow.

All though it shouldn’t count as winter grilling considering it’s going to be in the mid 60’s

Dinner at Blueboss tomorrow!

Green egg is the only way to go. Food is so much better, you will throw away gas after using one.

Quote Originally Posted by truecatsfan View Post
    Green egg is the only way to go. Food is so much better, you will throw away gas after using one.
    They aren't cheap, and I got mine as a gift, but they are for real. Nearly or just as convenient as gas (only have to reload every 3-4 grillings), flavor is excellent, control is excellent once you get a bit of a feel for how to work the flues.

I made the best prime rib ever on mine. Slow cooked it at under 300 for hours, the fire held up, and man it was unbelievably good. Not sure I could ever do it again, and I'm no grilling expert, but dang it was good.

That's the thing about it for me, it's so flexible. Want to fire it up hot and sear a steak? no problem. Want to slow smoke a roast? no problem.

Hamburgers and hot dogs today, but it was 60° today. Crazy.

Over 60 here, beautiful. Will be warm 3-4 more days, but rain. It rains here at least every 3rd day, no joke. At least. Since last summer. It's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Dinner at Blueboss tomorrow!
    Glad you all didn’t show up, with everything going on in my world we grabbed a bite on the fly...

This isn't the Egg, nor is it even a ceramic Grill, but I have heard very good things about this one. In my area, you could actually get one for $69.99, if the store that brickseek says has one actually has one in stock.
    Screenshot_20190208-070541__01.jpg

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/12789847

Online. Same price at Lowe's. Screenshot_20190208-071746__01.jpg